May 20, 2015, 04:25 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14
you admit that in public?

it isn't until it is....
I fly close, and there isn't much difference doing that inside, except you reduce the risk of a blade flying off and hitting your neighbor in the head.

The risk of a helicopter exploding is minimal, but it's the same flying inside or outside.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2015, 05:00 PM
Flying helis since 1978
RC Heli Raptor 90 Indoor (0 min 32 sec)

raptor 90 inside, no it is not me!
rotorist.
May 20, 2015, 05:01 PM
Please call me Dana
I say the risk is yours to take. You wouldn't be the first to do so and I'll bet you won't be the last. Besides, for all I know your room is the size of my house.
May 20, 2015, 05:27 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
I fly close, and there isn't much difference doing that inside, except you reduce the risk of a blade flying off and hitting your neighbor in the head.

The risk of a helicopter exploding is minimal, but it's the same flying inside or outside.
Never thought of it this way, but you really got a point there (just that the effect of something going wrong will be WAY more severe ... depending on the heli of course ...)
Latest blog entry: Random Pictures ...
May 20, 2015, 05:34 PM
Certifiable
"hey y'all, hold my beer and watch THIS!"

May 20, 2015, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor

Nice! I've heard that joke before, and still laugh at it.

I fly close too if I am just hovering around, but my skill level would not allow me to even hover indoors. I once had my 450 running wood blades nick a wood fence, and those blades literally exploded All I had left were tooth picks. Just too easy for something to wrong.

Now, back to the 130x. Yes, actually is a robust bird to fly and crash once in a while. My batteries are about a year old, so getting less snappy, but still fun.
May 20, 2015, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2
Not gonna be a problem as long as your blades dont decide to fly of (THAT could in fact be preeeeeeeetty disastrous ... ...)
I've heard people claiming if a Main Blade flies off, then it would fly off like arrow, and if it hits a person it would also feel like being hit by an arrow.

I doubt that statement. I think if a Blade by itself went flying off, then its motion would probably quickly flutter into nothing like a feather.

I say this because I don't think a flying Blade will shoot out like an arrow with its tip traveling directly away from the Main Shaft, but instead will "shoot" out "on-edge" traveling "forward" towards its entire leading edge, and therefore would experience relatively MUCH air-resistance and turbulence, which would make if fly more like a loose feather than an arrow.

I've had 100 size heli flybar weights fly off inside my living room, and those are definitely flying projectiles (they sound like BB's when they hit the wall), and I definitely wouldn't want to be hit in the eye with one. But if it were a Blade, I doubt it would even make it to the wall (although I've never had a Blade fly off, so it's just my SWAG (Scientific Wild Arse Guess).
Last edited by i812; May 21, 2015 at 01:16 AM. Reason: clarity
May 20, 2015, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor

Having someone hold your beer while flying isn't as much fun as actually drinking while flying:

May 21, 2015, 09:38 AM
Flying Object Crash Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812
I've heard people claiming if a Main Blade flies off, then it would fly off like arrow, and if it hits a person it would also feel like being hit by an arrow.

I doubt that statement. I think if a Blade by itself went flying off, then its motion would probably quickly flutter into nothing like a feather.

I say this because I don't think a flying Blade will shoot out like an arrow with its tip traveling directly away from the Main Shaft, but instead will "shoot" out "on-edge" traveling "forward" towards its entire leading edge, and therefore would experience relatively MUCH air-resistance and turbulence, which would make if fly more like a loose feather than an arrow.

I've had 100 size heli flybar weights fly off inside my living room, and those are definitely flying projectiles (they sound like BB's when they hit the wall), and I definitely wouldn't want to be hit in the eye with one. But if it were a Blade, I doubt it would even make it to the wall (although I've never had a Blade fly off, so it's just my SWAG (Scientific Wild Arse Guess).
The blade may not come off "arrow" straight, but would fly end forward not leading edge forward. The end of the blade has a lot more speed, thus energy, than the base of the blade which covers less distance per revolution. Therefore the end will lead when the base is released. A visual confirmation can be made at low rotor speed by seeing the blade is close to straight out from the grip, not hinged back 90° at the grip. Stability would be lost relatively quickly since a blade is not designed to be a flying object by itself, and the blade would become a fluttering object, but not in the space of anything close to a normal house's room size.
May 21, 2015, 12:36 PM
Please call me Dana
Each will assess their risk and act accordingly.

This is what I would call a low probability high impact (no pun intended) event. Assuming you take reasonable care of your aircraft and keep it in good shape and inspect it prior to flight the chances of a blade grip coming loose are very small. Almost negligible.

If a blade comes off and strikes your big screen TV or wife/child the consequences are high. This is what causes most to avoid the risk. Truthfully you are at more risk every day the moment you get in your car and leave your home. No I didn't check any statistics but I'd bet that I'm right.

The good news is the Blade 130X rotor blade is unlikely to cause any permanent damage unless it strikes an eye or something. Still, I've never flown inside my house. I keep it to the back yard.

I'm not inclined to discuss the flight characteristics of a helicopter rotor blade separated from the helicopter.
May 21, 2015, 01:49 PM
Flying Object Crash Tester
I agree the likelihood of a blade coming is extremely low (without contact with something especially). Then you factor in the odds of hitting something important. Then factor in the odds of that something important being hit in a critical spot...

If I ever get the balls to fly something as large or larger than the 130X, I'll make sure those balls are protected
May 21, 2015, 01:53 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
FWIW, I'm in the habit of always wearing safety glasses when I fly or if I'm around people who are flying. I keep a set of clear and sunglass-lenses safety glasses in my field bag so I've always got a set with me.
May 21, 2015, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli
FWIW, I'm in the habit of always wearing safety glasses when I fly or if I'm around people who are flying. I keep a set of clear and sunglass-lenses safety glasses in my field bag so I've always got a set with me.
I do the same, and use yellow to enhance visibility
May 21, 2015, 07:07 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2
Never thought of it this way, but you really got a point there (just that the effect of something going wrong will be WAY more severe ... depending on the heli of course ...)
It's not like I do it all the time, but I used to live in an apartment and I didn't have much choice. I figured it would have damaged more valuable property to have an accident in the parking lot. Now I just go out in the yard. I would hover up to a 700 in the yard, but for flying around I wouldn't go over 250 size without a proper flying field. The 300 is a little cramped in the yard, and that's about the size where it could break a car window or seriously injure a pedestrian or something. Kids ride their bikes on my street and I don't always see them coming when I'm standing in the yard. It's all about weighing the risks and making a smart choice. Flying 450s in the house a lot probably isn't good, but hovering it while you're testing once in a while is no problem if you're smart about it. I've flown my 550 hex in here too, just not on auto-pilot
May 21, 2015, 09:14 PM
Except for a few Flybar weights flying off (which were totally my fault for not having them secured enough), I've never had anything else break during flight; however, I've seen a few videos people posted of larger helis where something broke (a link pop off, etc.) in flight, which caused them to totally loose control of their heli, resulting with the heli ultimately crashing where it wanted.

I suppose the crashes from popped off links, were probably all due to pilot error also.

Outside, up high in the air, there's probably enough reaction time/distance to toggle the Throttle Hold switch before Blade impact, but inside a small living room the only way I'd feel safe hovering a large heli is if I was hiding behind something sturdy, like the guy hiding behind the bar stool in the above Raptor video.

Quick Reply