Dec 12, 2012, 10:56 PM
Beating air into submission!
I have had my 130x for a few months now and I have not had any problems with it until this morning when it would bind to my DX8. The heli has had about 50 flights since new. I tried several times to rebind to the TX but it just did not work. The blue led just kept flashing at me and no control movements responding to stick inputs.

I took the 130x back to my LHS where I purchased some months ago. Chris the boss checked it out and replaced the heli with a new one. Fantastic customer service.

My LHS is RC Crew at Bankstown NSW. Thank you Chris.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWilson
I have had my 130x for a few months now and I have not had any problems with it until this morning when it would bind to my DX8. The heli has had about 50 flights since new. I tried several times to rebind to the TX but it just did not work. The blue led just kept flashing at me and no control movements responding to stick inputs.

I took the 130x back to my LHS where I purchased some months ago. Chris the boss checked it out and replaced the heli with a new one. Fantastic customer service.

My LHS is RC Crew at Bankstown NSW. Thank you Chris.
Excellent customer service indeed!
Dec 12, 2012, 11:26 PM
Today I got my metal A gear, and I figured it would be a quick install. Like others, however, I have some vertical play. Maybe 1/2 mm. Pushed up, it sounds a little smoother but may be slightly loose. Pushed down, I definitely hear more gear noise. If I just snug the main gear, it will be pushed down.

I've seen some mention of this issue, but no great tips on dealing with it. What's the consensus? Does anyone have any good tips on shimming? And are people shimming above or below the top bearing?

Thanks,
Bill
Dec 13, 2012, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird
Today I got my metal A gear, and I figured it would be a quick install. Like others, however, I have some vertical play. Maybe 1/2 mm. Pushed up, it sounds a little smoother but may be slightly loose. Pushed down, I definitely hear more gear noise. If I just snug the main gear, it will be pushed down.

I've seen some mention of this issue, but no great tips on dealing with it. What's the consensus? Does anyone have any good tips on shimming? And are people shimming above or below the top bearing?

Thanks,
Bill
I have a small amount of play in the shaft after installing the metal A gear. I just pushed the main gear all the way up and made sure the mesh on the A-B gears was right and flew it. I have over 50 flights now with no problems.
Dec 13, 2012, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs
I have a small amount of play in the shaft after installing the metal A gear. I just pushed the main gear all the way up and made sure the mesh on the A-B gears was right and flew it. I have over 50 flights now with no problems.
Thanks, after experimenting with things I came to the same conclusion. I actually made a nice plastic shim, but when installed on top of the bearing I got a dangerous amount of fore-aft play in the B gear. I thought about putting it between the A gear and the bearing, but decided to just push the main on and go with that. Maybe I'll add the shim next time the main shaft is out.

For those who want to experiment, here's how I made the shim. First I used a leather punch (you could use a drill as well) to punch a hole in a piece of thin plastic. I used one of those smooth plastic pieces you take out of dress shirt collars. Then I put it into a paper hole punch, centered the (smaller) hole, and punched it out. Bingo, a nice little ring. A bit of sanding the edges and it was good to go.

Bill
Dec 13, 2012, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs
I bought one of the first 130X my LHS received and naturally it had the tail vib at spool up. I'm curious to know if those of you who purchased a 130X recently are experiencing tail vibs. My LHS owner says the 130X's he has received recently spool up smoother free.
Bought mine at the weekend, 5 flights, there is a slight vibration on spool up and it does give a quick tail wag every now and again. Only hovered it around so far as I'm a long way off 3D flights
Dec 13, 2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Today I got my metal A gear, and I figured it would be a quick install. Like others, however, I have some vertical play.
After I installed my metal A gear, the main shaft had up and down play. I pushed the main gear up on the main shaft to remove the play. However, I found that after a number of flights the main gear would slip down and some of the play would re-appear.

So I added some hot glue to the main gear / main shaft junction after I pushed the main gear on. I still wanted to be able to pull the main gear off for maintenance. So I started with a tiny amount of glue and test flew it. I gradually increased the amount of glue until the main gear stopped slipping down.

Gluing seems like such a hack. I would have preferred to use shims, but the fabrication of something so thin was daunting. But recently I noticed that Lynx makes shims for the main shaft. Some day I'm going to try them.

http://helidirect.com/lynx-lx0359-13...et-p-28579.hdx
Dec 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
Those shims look perfect. Too bad we need them, though.

I couldn't help but think those have to be about the most expensive parts I've seen relative to what you actually get, however. For fun, I did the math and came to about $4800 per ounce. These aren't just worth their weight in gold, but rather three times their weight in gold.
Dec 13, 2012, 09:22 PM
Gone Huckin'
Got my Micro Heli tail daft and weighted grips installed tonight and did a quick spool up in the driveway (under dim light... So I couldn't REALLY test it out) and she was as smooth as ever. I think my tail issues may now be resolved. FINALLY.

I'll fully test it out tomorrow with some flips and big pitch pumps. Can't wait to have my heli back!!
Dec 13, 2012, 09:49 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Those shims look perfect. Too bad we need them, though.

I couldn't help but think those have to be about the most expensive parts I've seen relative to what you actually get, however. For fun, I did the math and came to about $4800 per ounce. These aren't just worth their weight in gold, but rather three times their weight in gold.
But then size and weight are not indicators of worth in this hobby.. RC products aren't commodities like soap, where size equates to worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
Got my Micro Heli tail daft and weighted grips installed tonight and did a quick spool up in the driveway (under dim light... So I couldn't REALLY test it out) and she was as smooth as ever. I think my tail issues may now be resolved. FINALLY.

I'll fully test it out tomorrow with some flips and big pitch pumps. Can't wait to have my heli back!!
Glad it worked out. I've been eying those parts, as well. The tail on mine isn't bad, but it's not as smooth as I'd like something that spins 20,000 RPM to be. I'll be looking forward to your flight-report.

Joel
Dec 13, 2012, 10:00 PM
Gone Huckin'
Joel - do you also have the 300x? If so, how do you like it and how would you compare it to the 130x?
Dec 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
I know some will consider this a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it nonetheless.

I love flying my 130X, and I've taken my bigger FB helis (Trex 250 SE and 450 SE) out and they just seem so sloppy. It's too bad because they are beautiful machines. For others that have larger FBL birds as well as a 130X, is it worth doing conversions? Do they get that same combination of agility, stability, and precision?
Dec 13, 2012, 11:04 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
I know some will consider this a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it nonetheless.

I love flying my 130X, and I've taken my bigger FB helis (Trex 250 SE and 450 SE) out and they just seem so sloppy. It's too bad because they are beautiful machines. For others that have larger FBL birds as well as a 130X, is it worth doing conversions? Do they get that same combination of agility, stability, and precision?
I've only flown FBL helis. I had a Trex Pro FBL 450 for a short while (sold it to fund a plane) and it was really tight and locked in. WAY more so than my 130x (which I think is awesome by the way). I think, much like planes, the larger the more stable.
Dec 13, 2012, 11:05 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Joel - do you also have the 300x? If so, how do you like it and how would you compare it to the 130x?
Turnerm,

I really like my 300X. However, I'm not comfortable doing aerobatics with it yet. It feels really big. Very stable & smooth, yet extremely responsive. Of course, all of that can be adjusted. I have yet to delve into the BeastX settings, however. It appears to have a considerably higher power-to-weight than the 130X. Pitch-pumps are very immediate, and there is a lot of cyclic authority. It's a lot more responsive than my 130X, even though it flies a lot bigger. It's a bit big for me to really get it wound up in FFF in my yard, but I'll have no trouble doing aerobatics with it at home, once I get more comfortable with the bird.

Joel
Dec 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
Quote:
I have a 130X and 300X. The 300X is a dream to fly. Smooth, powerful, agile and predictable right out of the box. Much better machine than the 130X although, I do love my 130X.

Quick Reply