Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by Bearweasel
fun = win
Discussion

pi-racer

Started on a new project this weekend after a two year hiatus. Was considering doing another Nutball, but wanted a full fuse. I tripped over the PiYak thread and decided to go that route, but with a Golden Age air racer theme.

So far, here's what I have:

Span: 20" circle
Length: 27"
Height: 6"
Materials: 5mm Cellfoam 88, wood and Gorilla Glue
Motor: Hextronik 24g Blue Wonder 1700k w/prop saver
ESC: generic 10A
Propeller: GWS 9x4.7
Batt: Turnigy 20c 2s800
Servos: 3x HS55 (rudder, elevon)
Receiver: Berg 4L
Transmitter: HiTec Flash 5 (ancient!)
AUW: estimated at 7.5 grams, making...
Wing Loading: 3.44 oz / sq.ft

The pics are the bare bones. I plan to form the fuselage to give it that long rectangular look a lot of the Menasco powered air racers had, with the cockpit way in the back. Stay tuned...
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:43 AM
fun = win
Progress on my racer. The airframe details are coming together, the servos are placed, control horns and pushrods installed.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:44 PM
fun = win
Ready to fly! AUW is an even 8 ounces.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:48 PM
fun = win
Got the maiden flights in on Saturday morning. She flew, but climbed way too much, and in a left hand corkscrew... definitely have some thrust line issues. That's okay; one of the elevon hinges popped loose, resulting in a nice split-S right into the ground. Broke the motor mount off the airframe, so I can adjust the thrust line when I reinstall it... and a clean crack at the empennage which I can simply fill with glue, and a rudder hinge came loose. Should be flying by next weekend.