Oct 25, 2003, 09:40 PM
Thread OP

Wow crashing can be a good thing?

I did a really stupid thing this morning. I adjusted the downthrust on my formosa (had it off after instlaling a BL motor) and decided I would take it out for a 100 yard test glide... just power up for a few seconds and see how she pulled.
Hooked up the 2100 tp, powered up the mpjet, flicked the sticks around, everything is movin so ok... 1/2 throttle and a slight toss, starts right a little... no problem a little left aileron...hmm turning right severely, LEFT LEFT LEFT UP UP UP. nosed in from about 20 ft. nose is broken off in 3 seperate pieces, broken APC Prop, what a mess....
What went wrong? I was flying my SS last night and I forgot to change my model on my Prism radio... everything was reversed... a big ole Homer DOH!
A little odorless CA and some epoxy/baking soda. Lightweight filler and some paint and you can hardly tell it ever took a hit. This foam stuff is great!
Adjusted the DT while I was at it. Flew it this evening and it was spectacular! Best its has ever flown!
Still can't believe I didn't change my model...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2003, 10:16 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Been there! Done That! DUH!
Launched Big-T with Zagi selected - scrapped a wing tip and busted a prop.
Launched Zagi with Big-T selected - slammed into the runway and destroyed another canopy.
Almost tossed Windstar with the elevator reversed (Big-T settings) but my spotter (son "BP" - as in Better Pilot than Daddy) caught it. That would have been bad!
And all this happened despite doing a pre-flight check. Just wasn't very "observant" I guess. Or as my mother would say"...just another senior moment, son ...".
Glad to hear it worked out well.
Crash
Oct 25, 2003, 10:45 PM
Yep - me too. Launched a Slowstick with Pocket Combat Wing setting. Dorked it nose in and busted the prop. Fortunately the shaft didn't bend.

I know better for next time, but I'm sure I'll do it again.
Oct 25, 2003, 10:52 PM
Thread OP
The really sad part is I had just gotten through Maidening my dads SS before trying the Formosa. Checked everything out (so I thought) and took off beautifully. Of COURSE the rudder was reversed. No damage on that one, still got hairy for a second.... you would think a person would learn, but nooooo
Oct 25, 2003, 11:16 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
Did you do the pre-flight without actually verifying that the surfaces were moving in the proper direction? Sort of like checking your watch for the time but not actually getting it?
Oct 25, 2003, 11:28 PM
ROFL!

Quote:
Originally posted by Awakened
Did you do the pre-flight without actually verifying that the surfaces were moving in the proper direction? Sort of like checking your watch for the time but not actually getting it?
Oct 26, 2003, 02:59 AM
Awakened, I feel like that sometimes too

you know that same thing happens to full size aircraft pilots
go through the pre flight routine and see something wrong and not notice it is wrong

gotta actively be searching out specific indications and information
and verify proper operation of the systems

we all know how to check this but it becomes a routine and ritual to go through blindly
stir the sticks and everything moves (but was it the correct way and the correct surface?) you get indications but you don't know always what they are (like the watch)

seen a rare bear crashed 6 times and immediately repaired with hot melt glue just to tip stall on t/o and crash inverted
with 3 full size flight instructors and 2 full size commercial pilots
(basically everyone there was a pilot) you would think that at least one of us would catch it in the preflight
(we even switched pilots and launchers repeatedly with the same result)

reversed aileron

so smart and so dumb
my life story
Oct 26, 2003, 07:36 AM
Thread OP
Exactly Awakened!
Just like on my Dads SS. I really checked things like equal throw on surfaces-adjusted EPA, checked CG, setup his DR, even made sure his prop was on correctly, but didn't notice that the rudder was reversed.
Same way with the formosa. Musta checked the CG 3 or 4 times and even took the prop off to remove the cowl so I could take a look at the DT just ONE MORE TIME! Then give it a toss with everything backward.
About .0001 second before it hit, I realized what I had done. That was a long .0001 second.
Oct 26, 2003, 08:45 AM
Epoxy and Baking soda?? Whats this do? Whats the receipe?
Oct 26, 2003, 10:56 AM
Nimble with Gimbals
It helps if you get into a pre-flight routine that you actively participate in, perhaps a rhyme of some sort. I have yet to make this mistake but I'm sure it gets everyone eventually. A lot of people are excited before a flight and can miss the simplest of things. Part of the hobby, I suppose. I find that some basic procedures go a long way towards successful flight.
Oct 26, 2003, 12:00 PM
Thread OP
I think I'll put a little sticker on my TX to remind me to actually pay attention to my pre-flight instead of just going through the motions.
It would be cool if the CPU TX's had a pre-flight mode that would walk you through the standard checks. Something that you could set to come up when you turned your TX on.

doodledap, I just read about the epoxy/baking soda somewhere here. It really just seems to thicken the epoxy for better gap filling, while lightening the whole mixture. Its still very strong. I think it works great.
Oct 28, 2003, 12:37 PM
Qaz
Qaz
That still gets me a good bit. I think its the bane of electric flyers since its not hard to have 3-4 airworthy and ready to go at any one time. Crashed my x-bow many times after flying the SS. Turned the P-51 into confetti after flying the Fixx one day. Tore up the GWS A-10 real good one day after flying the X-Bow... I forget to select the right model and miss it in pre-flight about every 1 in 10 flights.
Oct 28, 2003, 12:42 PM
Having a camera on the plane has saved my butt a few times. It will only trigger if I am on the right model and I always do a test shot before flying. When the camera doesn't trigger I know I was stupid again.
Oct 28, 2003, 09:53 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Crashing IS good sometimes. I crashed my e-starter (tried to fly in a good 25mph gusty wind...oops, bad gust at bad time, thud)

Broke the front of the fuselage under the wings in half... the good part of this is that the plane was horribly tail heavy previously.. with the added epoxy, it's perfect!

I still managed to fly it too, a good 20 minutes later. THE WIND SHALL NOT TRIUMPH!!
*cackles insanely*
Oct 28, 2003, 09:59 PM
Thread OP
I can stand those wind crashes. Thats fighting the good fight, its these "Duuuuh why did I do that?" crashes that get me!

Wow 20mins later. Musta used the fast glue!

Quick Reply