Programming Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Apr 10, 2012, 04:45 PM
Registered User
Discussion

Programming Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC


Looked around, seems others have problems finding info on programming Hobbykings 18-20 amp esc. Seems pretty simple,
Brake=off
Batt Type=Lipo
Cut off type= soft cut off
Cut off Voltage= low
start mode=normal
timing mode= middle ????
Music= who cares
Gov mode= off

I guess the only thing I am somewhat concerned about is timing.

I am running 4x 2022 hacker clones with a 30c 3 amp 11.1 v lipo.
Any help is much appreciated!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2012, 05:42 PM
NTX Helidillos
tonkajeep34's Avatar
Don't know about for those motors, but I have had 2 quads with those escs and I ran the timing at High. I've also tried all three settings and really couldn't tell a difference but most will recommend middle or high.

YMMV
Apr 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
Registered User
Thanks tonkajeep34. Yea I guess middle is safe, funny thing is those 2022's run at 900 kv I think or somewhere round that. I found a thread where people hacked into these esc's and got them to run better firmware. I bit much for me right now. Did you find those esc's to run hot near 18 amps or so?

Ahhh now I just found out one of the ESC's is bad, just beeps twice, can't program it or set my endpoints on my transmitter. One of my 2022's has a mount that is off center also. That was the last order I will place with hobby king.
Last edited by spacecase; Apr 11, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Apr 12, 2012, 02:20 AM
Registered User
if it's the programable on like this.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rammable_.html

you can have it's best performance it you flash it with simonk firmware like i did.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1513678

hope this helps
Apr 12, 2012, 01:25 PM
Registered User
Thanks Bigbro, I was looking for those instructions. I wonder if I can get my esc that doesn't work to get going by flashing it. I think it is just defective, it sees a 3s lipo as a 2s lipo. It also won't stop beeping, beep beep pause, beep beep pause etc. Stick up then down, wont arm or anything. Programming card also wont work with it, but will with the other three.
Apr 14, 2012, 10:57 PM
Registered User
surprising yes! i also trhought tha 2 of my esc broke when i had a crash. until i learned how to flash & expiremented on the 2 "broken" esc. & it did & i'm still using it now
Apr 15, 2012, 01:40 AM
Registered User
I wouldn't set battery to Lipo thou, go with Ni-xx.

From what i understand if you set it to Lipo the ESC's will automatically cut out if the battery voltage drops under a certain threshold to protect the battery however the Ni-xx setting wont.

Not a good idea for ESC's to cut out for heli!
Apr 16, 2012, 11:34 AM
Registered User
Well Im getting a USB programming card to program my esc then bigbro! Yea echo I defiantly don't want them cutting of on my quad in mid air, same as a heli (that can't auto-gyrate). I think thats why you set the cutoff for low, like 9 volts or so. I have an low voltage alarm on my quad that goes on above that voltage. Thats also why I am so excited about the telemetry on my Frsky mod. Its amazing to see what cool new stuff is coming out these days. I can't wait to flash my esc!
Apr 16, 2012, 08:45 PM
Registered User
spacecase - goodluck. can't wait to see ur quad in the air. post vids
Apr 08, 2013, 11:58 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbro3760
if it's the programable on like this.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rammable_.html

you can have it's best performance it you flash it with simonk firmware like i did.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1513678

hope this helps
Hi bigbro3760, it's my first time flashing ESC's, I'm trying to flash the Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC card programmable ESC but when I have to choose the controller on KKMulticopter flash tool, I don't know which should I choose.
Can you help me? I would be grateful.

SepolP.
Apr 09, 2013, 10:36 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepolP
Hi bigbro3760, it's my first time flashing ESC's, I'm trying to flash the Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC card programmable ESC but when I have to choose the controller on KKMulticopter flash tool, I don't know which should I choose.
Can you help me? I would be grateful.

SepolP.
http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/RapidESC+Database

u can find th hobbyking ss 18-20a esc. its "tgy.hex"

https://github.com/sim-/tgy
Apr 10, 2013, 09:22 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbro3760
Thank you so much birgbro3760 for your answer. After I posted I got it, but thanks btw cause you confirmed that I did it right
Apr 10, 2013, 10:46 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepolP
Thank you so much birgbro3760 for your answer. After I posted I got it, but thanks btw cause you confirmed that I did it right
no problemo
Sep 05, 2013, 09:50 PM
3D Junkie
ZacFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecase
Looked around, seems others have problems finding info on programming Hobbykings 18-20 amp esc. Seems pretty simple,
Brake=off
Batt Type=Lipo
Cut off type= soft cut off
Cut off Voltage= low
start mode=normal
timing mode= middle ????
Music= who cares
Gov mode= off

I guess the only thing I am somewhat concerned about is timing.

I am running 4x 2022 hacker clones with a 30c 3 amp 11.1 v lipo.
Any help is much appreciated!
Where can I find how to program this esc?
Sep 12, 2013, 11:16 AM
NTX Helidillos
tonkajeep34's Avatar
Hk had a programming card for it that made it very simple. There is a way to do it with the sticks but I don't Remember what our where it is


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alert Bad batch of Hobbyking SS Series 15-18A ESC HappySundays Power Systems 7 Jan 12, 2012 06:38 PM
Help! Hobbyking SS Series 40-50A ESC belzebub Power Systems 19 Nov 02, 2011 06:31 PM
Sold HobbyKing SS series 40-50A ESC Heli0z Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Sep 23, 2011 02:57 PM
Sold HobbyKing SS series 90-100A ESC Heli0z Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Sep 23, 2011 02:51 PM
Help! Hobbyking SS Series 50-60A ESC Vitamin_J Electric Plane Talk 2 Sep 10, 2011 10:36 AM