Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:24 AM
vineet_p is offline
Find More Posts by vineet_p
Registered User
vineet_p's Avatar
Help!

My MultiWii quad DOES NOT FLY


I finished building this quadcopter yesterday using CRIUS MultiWii.

1. Hobbyking dt700 motors
2. Zippy Flightmax 3S 3000mAh LiPo
3. 10x6 props
4. HK 18-20A SS series ESCs

The quadcopter weighs 1kg 190 grams (1.19kg)

My Tx configuration is like this:
1. Throttle (1006-2007) centered at 1540
2. Pitch (1119-1941) centered at 1539
3. yaw (1026-1982) centered at 1541
4. Roll (1056-1956) centered at 1530

My "throttle PID attenuation" value was 0.33

I started the motors, all of them start at the same time. I put the throttle from 0% to 100% gradually. The props rotate well at 100% throttle, but the quad DOES NOT fly + Vibrates more! Please HELP!!!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:46 AM
chaosdestro0 is offline
Find More Posts by chaosdestro0
Quad lover.
chaosdestro0's Avatar
99.9999% of these cases are due to the props being the wrong way around.
Check that all of them are pushing air downwards! Remember the right hand screw rule, the thin edge of the prop should be facing the direction it is spinning in.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:24 AM
Tres Wright is offline
Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Live to ride... and fly!
Tres Wright's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet_p View Post
I started the motors, all of them start at the same time. I put the throttle from 0% to 100% gradually. The props rotate well at 100% throttle, but the quad DOES NOT fly + Vibrates more!
Like Chaos said, the props are probably all on the wrong motors. I've done it before and it does exactly what you describe- makes a whole lotta noise and doesn't go anywhere
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:27 AM
timecop is offline
Find More Posts by timecop
Suspended Account
according to the pic, if top is 'front' every prop is on incorrectly.
opposite rotation
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:36 AM
man1024 is offline
Find More Posts by man1024
Registered User
man1024's Avatar
lol. quad actually want to fly....but not up....down...pushing really hard to the ground .
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:00 AM
vineet_p is offline
Find More Posts by vineet_p
Registered User
vineet_p's Avatar
No. In the first picture, the right side is 'forward". All props spin the right direction. I have checked and rechecked the prop rotation direction and the air is being pushed downwards. What else could be the problem? With the ESCs, perhaps?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
Zombee is offline
Find More Posts by Zombee
Suspended Account
yeah, i have crius too and your orientation and prop directions are right, im guessing those are 750kv motors and 10x6 props. try reading your kv..
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:08 AM
vineet_p is offline
Find More Posts by vineet_p
Registered User
vineet_p's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombee View Post
yeah, i have crius too and your orientation and prop directions are right, im guessing those are 750kv motors and 10x6 props. try reading your kv..
It's dt700, NOT dt750. The kv is 700rpm/volt
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:11 AM
Ceros007 is offline
Find More Posts by Ceros007
Registered User
Ceros007's Avatar
Oh and btw, that's is a pretty heavy quadcopter. Change your metal plates for something else.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:17 AM
kinderkram is offline
Find More Posts by kinderkram
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
A short video showing the behaviour would be helpful.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:17 AM
vineet_p is offline
Find More Posts by vineet_p
Registered User
vineet_p's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros007 View Post
Oh and btw, that's is a pretty heavy quadcopter. Change your metal plates for something else.
But, each motor provides atleast 700-800g thrust so it's (700-800)*4 = 2.8kg-3.2kg thrust. That should be enough, right?
This post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1566841
N3M1S1S says not to build more than 1.4kg on a 3S, but mine is just 1.19kg.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
vineet_p is offline
Find More Posts by vineet_p
Registered User
vineet_p's Avatar
The videos show test flight. One of the motors stops after sometime, that's just because of a faulty joint. I corrected the joint and tested again (but didn't take a video of it) and the result was the same - the quad didn't fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxp26AMHhH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBp7Il_SDN4
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
Tres Wright is offline
Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Live to ride... and fly!
Tres Wright's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet_p View Post

The quadcopter weighs 1kg 190 grams (1.19kg)
Oh, that's pretty heavy. Do you have a Whattmeter or similar? If so, what is it measuring at wide open throttle? That would tell you if the motors are underpowered/ underpropped or if there's something wrong with the end points or settings that's preventing them from reaching full throttle.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
vineet_p is offline
Find More Posts by vineet_p
Registered User
vineet_p's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
Oh, that's pretty heavy. Do you have a Whattmeter or similar? If so, what is it measuring at wide open throttle? That would tell you if the motors are underpowered/ underpropped or if there's something wrong with the end points or settings that's preventing them from reaching full throttle.
I don't have a wattmeter. I only have a multimeter. Will it do? Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:40 AM
Tres Wright is offline
Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Live to ride... and fly!
Tres Wright's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet_p View Post
The videos show test flight. One of the motors stops after sometime, that's just because of a faulty joint. I corrected the joint and tested again (but didn't take a video of it) and the result was the same - the quad didn't fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxp26AMHhH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBp7Il_SDN4
Is that full throttle? It doesn't sound like the motors are winding up all the way. There's also a "sputtering" sound which may have been the bad solder joint.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gallery My first foldable multiwii quad tbee Multirotor Talk 5 Mar 08, 2012 02:23 AM
Discussion Battery in my Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz does not last long g725s Radios 12 Mar 07, 2012 07:54 PM
Discussion Why do I have to keep trimming my multiwii quad? tmproff Multirotor Talk 3 Feb 15, 2012 08:47 AM
Help! Syma S107 does not fly forward butbrit Micro Helis 1 Oct 18, 2011 12:02 AM
Discussion My MultiWii Quad quadslo Multirotor Talk 1 Feb 20, 2011 03:58 PM