New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by MrKite
Help!

X-525 Kit, KK Controller 5.5 Won't Arm *SOLVED*

My first effort at building a quadcopter has run into a brick wall. Figuratively, not actually. Yet. ;-)

When I turn on the TX and plug the battery in to the quad, I get a single 'beep'/flash from the KK Controller board, then all 4 motors/ESC's start beeping in unison, once every 2 seconds, regardless of throttle stick position. Down and right does nothing. Motors do not spin up at all. Just a 'beep' ever 2 secs from each motor/ESC. The manual for the ESC's (Hobbywing Skywalker 20A) says that beep pattern means "Throttle signal is irregular."

If I bypass the KK controller board and plug ESC's directly into receiver's throttle channel, they work as expected, with the correct startup 'beeps' and response to throttle stick. Motors spin up smoothly.

Am I missing a KK Controller setup step, or is there something wrong with the board that's not passing throttle info correctly?

And second, what should the various settings be for the ESC programming options for use in a quad?
Last edited by MrKite; Apr 09, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by ripmax
First remove all props if u have not done already, throttle to zero, throttle trim to zero, throttle to right arms mine but depends what firmware you are running on, I had problems getting mine to arm, playing about with the pots at zero and allsorts of combinations got it to arm eventually, if u do get it to arm don't put pots at zero again, I did and it would'nt arm again!
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by Donnyv
all of your esc's should be setup like this for quads!! Brake=off battery=NiMH cut off= soft or low, start up= normal or soft and your timing=medium... hope that helps!
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks Donnyv, that answers one of my questions, although I don't think it has anything to do with why the board won't arm. Still, one thing at a time, and the next thing I know... ;-)
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:23 PM
Success! All I needed to do was calibrate the ESC's thru the Controller. A guy named Mattcro in another thread says, "... you can calibrate the ESCs together via the KK board. Just set the YAW gain to zero, turn on TX, set throttle stick to full, turn on KK board and the ESCs will do their powerup beeps, followed by a double beep. Set throttle stick to low, and the ESCs should beep again. Power down, and set the yaw gain back to whatever you need (start at 50%)."

That was all it took. The board now arms and the motors spin up smoothly! Yeah! Thanks, Mattcro!
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by Donnyv
Good for you bud!!! I went through that whole situation not too long ago! I know its a big pain in the butt! but once you play around with all of that stuff you will become a pro at it!! now get out there and fly it!!!! lol
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by mattcro
KK Tri Flyer
Sorry, I double-posted
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by mattcro
KK Tri Flyer
Glad to help. I had the same trouble when I was setting up my tri, but it's an essential part of the setup process. If the throttle calibration is even a little bit off, you'll have all sorts of stability problems.

I just followed http://rcexplorer.se/Educational/kkg...guide/tri.html
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by molo_30
SpeedFreak at heart....
Quote:
Originally Posted by coh998 View Post
Success! All I needed to do was calibrate the ESC's thru the Controller. A guy named Mattcro in another thread says, "... you can calibrate the ESCs together via the KK board. Just set the YAW gain to zero, turn on TX, set throttle stick to full, turn on KK board and the ESCs will do their powerup beeps, followed by a double beep. Set throttle stick to low, and the ESCs should beep again. Power down, and set the yaw gain back to whatever you need (start at 50%)."

That was all it took. The board now arms and the motors spin up smoothly! Yeah! Thanks, Mattcro!
Hi Guys, sorry to dog up an old thread but I have the same issue as cohh998, I did the calibration as above which works fine. When I power down and reset yaw pot to 50% and power back up again the board won't arm itself. I have tried all the endpoints ect to no avail.

Any ideas?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by Stigern
Registered Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by molo_30 View Post
Hi Guys, sorry to dog up an old thread but I have the same issue as cohh998, I did the calibration as above which works fine. When I power down and reset yaw pot to 50% and power back up again the board won't arm itself. I have tried all the endpoints ect to no avail.

Any ideas?
I did just flash my board with latest kk firmware 4.7. And after that I can arm it and disarm without any problems.

Just an idea.
RCG Plus Member