A couple of successes!! - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by SGTalon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 08, 2012, 10:39 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Cool

A couple of successes!!

Been a busy spring for me already!

My flying buddies Mike, Don, and Ken started their new company www.modelplanefoam.com and are now selling some awesome foam. It is pure white, no skin, no perforations and no waves. But it is the same material as FFF.

As a matter of fact, their first production run sold out in a week! So they have more on the way.

Anyhow, the new foam inspired me to build some planes.. that and it has been so long since i built a plane that i was missing it.

SO first up was the Buck Rogers Starfighter. Flies very nice. I am still getting used to it but it is very stable. It tends to roll fast when it gets upside down, like it really wants to be upside down! But it comes out of it with no problem. It looks really cool in the air too! The white foam means i didn't have to paint the dang thing so it came out really light.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1493902

This will be a kit soon!

Here is the first flight video.
RC Buck Rogers Starfighter.wmv (5 min 17 sec)

Second build of the season is my Enterprise-A! A lot of people have been working on A's. Not many have been successful. I don't know if any have been successful with a truly scale look to them. Well mine flies GREAT! I still need to do a little tweaking. It doesn't have great elevator authority... well i should say there is a delay when i give it elevator. It makes it a little scary when you are pointing at the ground and it doesn't respond right away! But it flies around nicely.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1273822

I did 2 servos for the ailerons so i can dial in some flaps. I am going to start playing around with settings and mixes to see if i can get it to feel better.

It looks amazing when it is flying though. I have quite a few flights on it now and it is nice and gentle. I am very excited about this one... so is my buddy Steve... the same guy that does my skins. He already has a skin set almost finished for it. This is probably going to be a kit soon.

Here is the flight video.

RC Enterprise-A.wmv (5 min 14 sec)

Last one... for this week anyhow is the Tron Lightship! I designed this way back when the Tron:Legacy movie came out. I don't have it quite finished but it is looking nice. I painted it black, then peeled out a strip in the foam to glue in some awesome LED/FiberOptic Light Tubes from Hobbyking. They look awsome too. My plan is to put 2 blue crepe paper streamers on the back to simulate the light trails in the movie!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1429603

Weight came out right around 8 ounces with the battery and everything. I am using a 1700kv Blue Wonder motor. I think this thing is going to fly really nice too.

I still need to put some more paint on it. I really want the lines to be nice so i want to get a paint pen and try it out. I think that will make it work well.

More to come though. I really am itching to build more planes!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2012, 03:59 AM
Some great planes, I have been thinking of building an edf version of the Tron plane... Itīs cool looking !

I didīnt knew it existed that kind of ligts - thanks
Apr 15, 2012, 12:49 PM
Keep an eye on the Tron thread plans soon!
Jun 08, 2012, 07:49 AM

EnterpriseD

Did I see you mention RTF kits? If so, did you get to that point?

Thanks
Jun 08, 2012, 07:58 AM
Nope sorry Nuke. No time to do RTF's. WAAAAY back when i first started doing kits i offered it and was quickly overwhelmed. My regular life is just way too busy to allow me time to build kits for me AND other people.

But I do offer tons of moral support and advice
Nov 10, 2012, 07:28 PM

Bab 5 Fury

Any chance of you geting back to it or posting a pdf for others to develop?

I have an idea for a gimbal mounted pusher motor.