Apr 08, 2012, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

2012 Vintage & Old-Timer Build-Off- Lancer 72 from Klarich short kit-a continuation.

Thanks Scott.
The original thread, Lancer 72 from Klarich Custom Kits, at this link

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933032, was started by the Grand Wizard.

Rather than add to it, I’m starting a new link here.

Looking back on this build, I think starting from scratch would have been easier. I would have spaced the ribs a little closer (plans were 3.5 inch) and flared the wing tips upwards.

A modern airfoil may have been considered, but that decision is long past.

The fuselage formers could have used a few extra with maybe a little lofting to get a nicer curve on the bottom section.

An all flying stab might have been better choice

Framing is complete.
I really messed up on the mold for the FG cowl. Didn’t use enough wax and mold release, so a very rough and damaged cowl pull off, but will make it work.
In hind sight, a cowl made from balsa blocks would have been a better choice.
John
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2012, 10:04 AM
Thread OP

Lancer cowl

Here is the foam plug that I should have used for the cowl rather than try to make a mold with it.
The foam plug got stuck around the spinner section and would not pull out, so it got broken.
This should have told me something---if the foam got stuck, so too will the next copy.
John
Apr 23, 2012, 08:37 AM
Thread OP

Lancer status

The bare bones of the Lancer from last year--have now completed and covered this frame.

I am having second thoughts on the OS .26 for power. It might be ok once air born, but it may not make it off the grass.

I'm also looking for a different colour paint scheme that would lend itself to this "1930's racer". A little air brushing so that it stands out from the plastic covering.
John
Apr 23, 2012, 05:40 PM
This is one I've looked at many times, and every time I look at it I like it a little better. I don't have enough experience with Old Timers to know very much about the right engine for this plane or that one, but it does seem to be a lot of airplane for a .26. Shoot, the spinner all by itself is going to be a load!

I'd like to know how she flys. I like the design plenty well enough to build one myself.

David
Apr 23, 2012, 06:11 PM
Thread OP
The OS .26 turns that 10x6 at about 8900 rpm, not too impressive.
My friend Chad ( You Tube- jetwaco) has posted his Lancer here:
Moonlight 1938 Lancer Flight (5 min 29 sec)

He has a .30 FS.

John
Apr 23, 2012, 06:41 PM

Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R
The bare bones of the Lancer from last year--have now completed and covered this frame.

I am having second thoughts on the OS .26 for power. It might be ok once air born, but it may not make it off the grass.

I'm also looking for a different colour paint scheme that would lend itself to this "1930's racer". A little air brushing so that it stands out from the plastic covering.
John
I suspect the 26 will work as these things were originally intended to fly on 1/5 of a horse power. The 26 should manage 1/4.
For ref my 48 oz Lancer 45 at 60 inch span has a lively performance on an ols OS20 FS. It maintains altitude at 5,300 ROM on a 10x6. I set it at 5,800 for Texaco and it climbs almost out of sight over 9 minutes.
I don't know if any of this helps you but gives another reference point I guess.
Nice to see the progess finally.
Apr 24, 2012, 07:02 PM
Thread OP

Lancer

Thanks Allan for the info. I guess if the OS .20 could fly it, the OS .26 should also be possible. This Lancer is slightly bigger, so I’ll weigh it up.
I really like the cowl on the above red Lancer. That’s sort of what I had in mind, but didn’t quite get there. Also, the curves around the canopy look better than my straight lines. Here’s a current update with my patched up cowl.
John
Apr 30, 2012, 03:04 PM
Thread OP

Lancer

I am still looking for a suitable colour scheme reminiscent of a 1930’s racer. I found this web site that has many different colour schemes for current modern airplanes. It’s really hard to pick one, they all seem nice.

Google search, aerobatic airplanes. Click on images. The screen display I came up with and the link I copied and pasted here did not match, so it has been deleted.

I had to cut in and add a hatch to get at the engine mount blind nuts since a future change may be needed. The cockpit area needs an instrument panel, so I’ve borrowed one that Vintage drew up a while back. I’ll size it and see how it looks.

Has anyone made pilots using front and side pictures to create a 3D picture?
Last edited by JohnAV8R; Apr 30, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Aug 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
Thread OP

ever so slowly work continues on the Lancer

I haven’t forgotten , or stopped work on the Lancer. The stab/elevator, fin and rudder are now fastened to the fuselage. The cockpit area has a borrowed instrument display (vintage’s). The cowl (FG) has been salvaged. It is still very rough, but will have to do for now. I was a little concerned that the auto body filler would make it too heavy, but it seems that I am still a little tail heavy (present CG coming in at 40~50%). I can’t make up my mind on a final paint scheme , so perhaps mostly red over a light dusting of silver dope.
Aug 29, 2012, 11:13 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Seen this fir the first time today.
It's coming together well John. I love the old racers.
sparks
Sep 07, 2012, 08:32 PM
Thread OP

Lancer, what colour?

The Lancer is all covered and doped.
The sheeting (solid areas) now has a coat of silver.
What colours?
I can leave the silver, but it was intended as a blocking coat only.
The covered areas can be left as is or painted.
Since the rear is red, I could go red-white-blue.
The bottom of the wing will probably get large checker boards.
John
Sep 09, 2012, 08:19 PM
Nearly there John, keep at it.

Allan
Sep 09, 2012, 08:21 PM
Vintage Precision 11February 2012 (13 min 45 sec)

There is some footage of my Lancer at the start fo this video for motovation you understand.

Allan (again).
Sep 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
Thread OP
Allan, thanks for the video. Yes, it does add a little impetus to the build!
Is that the Lancer (video) with the FS- OS.20? If so, it certainly climbs out well. Will it ROG, or is the hand launch always required?

I’m still moving forward with the Lancer paint. I left the masking tape on for a couple of days…and I know better! Pulled a little of the dope off!
Entire Lancer, less tail, now has a coat of Sig white. Unfortunately I didn’t give the covering a talcum filler coat followed by multiple clear coats, so it’s going to look a little rough showing the weave in the cloth.
(I guess there’s a really good reason the plastic film has taken over.)

Checking this particular Lancer, it’s slightly larger, about 75” wing span, nose moment an inch longer, tail moment a few inches longer. I guess if the old war birds can undergo extensive modifications for the Reno air Races, then an old Lancer can have a few mods as well.
Dec 11, 2012, 11:49 AM
Thread OP

Lancer, better late than never!

Well I didn’t make the dead line. I wanted to fly this Lancer before year end, but just didn’t get done. I couldn’t decide on a paint scheme (Sig dope) and I didn’t want to fly it “wet” because the final paint wouldn’t stick to an oily surface, so I removed the OS FS and got a 700 watt electric. I thought I could fly it electric and meet the dead line, then go back with “wet” and a final paint scheme.
To get the electric to balance I had to add a 4S Li 5000 ma battery which made up for weight of the OS FS, so the overall wing loading will be very similar with either power plant. Maybe, far into the future, I could use the 7 cc TT diesel as it is also very heavy.

Quick Reply