Great Planes, Dirty Birdy .60 ARF !! - Page 4 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Apr 17, 2012, 06:28 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
Based on the 4th picture above, I kind of doubt it. There's a bit of flatness at the cowl/fuselage junction. I see the flatness on the fuselage side, but not around the top.
Oh, I see what you're talking about, good point. When it arrives I'll take a look and post the results. Doug
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
Registered User
doxilia's Avatar
I don't understand what's the deal with the cowl. It doesn't need to be rotated in order to install the engine one way or another. You just make your cutout where you want it. For that matter it can be left intact and used with an electric motor.

David
Apr 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
CPA# 39
EscapeFlyer's Avatar
deleted
Last edited by EscapeFlyer; Apr 18, 2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: I want out of this conversation.
Apr 17, 2012, 09:57 PM
Registered User
doxilia's Avatar
Brian,

The question I'm asking is not related to whether we like the cowl or not - there are plenty of opinions in both camps on that inevitable debate.

What I'm asking is why there's talk about rotating cowls. I think there's the impression that the cowl is pre cut which I doubt. It will just be a conical cowl as that which came with DB40 kits. You can screw it on, glue it on or magnetize it at will. Then hack into it as best suits your needs.

David
Apr 17, 2012, 10:51 PM
Registered User
Hello guys. I have been out of the hobby sense 1995. First flew in the 1980 nat. with a dirty birdy. Moved over to scratch built EU-1's. When the turn around stuff came out in 1984 i went to 4 strokes, i never like sound of being quiet. When i saw this dirty birdy for sale, i looked at the weber speed, 61 new in the box i had saved and now waiting for the plane i flew at the nats 32 years ago when i was 22 years old. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
Apr 17, 2012, 11:27 PM
CPA# 39
EscapeFlyer's Avatar
deleted
Last edited by EscapeFlyer; Apr 18, 2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Things are getting blown out of proportion.
Apr 18, 2012, 01:46 AM
Anything that gives me a High
super kupfer's Avatar
Come on guys ......for a cowl??????

Just think about the level of versatility and ease, it doesn't get any better.

I hear some people are talking/complaining about the lines of this bird, I think that since there is so many variation of this bird why not have another one.


If you are worried about something worry about the quality and hope that its going to be exceptional.
Apr 18, 2012, 06:49 AM
Intermediate Multi
Trisquire's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia
Brian,

The question I'm asking is not related to whether we like the cowl or not - there are plenty of opinions in both camps on that inevitable debate.

What I'm asking is why there's talk about rotating cowls. I think there's the impression that the cowl is pre cut which I doubt. It will just be a conical cowl as that which came with DB40 kits. You can screw it on, glue it on or magnetize it at will. Then hack into it as best suits your needs.

David
You're right. It never occurred to me that it might not be pre cut.
Apr 18, 2012, 09:03 AM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer
Come on guys ......for a cowl??????

Just think about the level of versatility and ease, it doesn't get any better.

I hear some people are talking/complaining about the lines of this bird, I think that since there is so many variation of this bird why not have another one.


If you are worried about something worry about the quality and hope that its going to be exceptional.
These guys are gentle compared to the Radios forum!

Andy
Apr 18, 2012, 12:15 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Fatherof4's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbrown29
Hello guys. I have been out of the hobby sense 1995. First flew in the 1980 nat. with a dirty birdy. Moved over to scratch built EU-1's. When the turn around stuff came out in 1984 i went to 4 strokes, i never like sound of being quiet. When i saw this dirty birdy for sale, i looked at the weber speed, 61 new in the box i had saved and now waiting for the plane i flew at the nats 32 years ago when i was 22 years old. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
Welcome Back!

It's fun coming home isn't it?

Doug
Apr 18, 2012, 12:29 PM
Registered User
hook57's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbrown29
Hello guys. I have been out of the hobby sense 1995. First flew in the 1980 nat. with a dirty birdy. Moved over to scratch built EU-1's. When the turn around stuff came out in 1984 i went to 4 strokes, i never like sound of being quiet. When i saw this dirty birdy for sale, i looked at the weber speed, 61 new in the box i had saved and now waiting for the plane i flew at the nats 32 years ago when i was 22 years old. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
Ditto on the welcome back RW! Hey, I was at the "80 Nats" too, in Wilmington, OH. I was there with a buddy who flew a Tipo to 8th place in Expert; I was well past 10th place in Novice after watching little Chip Hyde show a lot of us how it's done! But my piped Rossi powered Bootlegger sure looked good!

As Dox sez, (after you fit the motor mount) just cut that cowl to fit. No way can it be that big of a deal. A few guys have mounted their engines upright in the P-7s even. Just my 1/2 a cent (Illinois taxes ya know!)
hook
Apr 18, 2012, 02:49 PM
Registered User

Great Planes ARF vs Dirty Birdy wood...


My review will be able to discuss the "upright" mounted engine versus the side mounted engine.

My wooden DB will use a Webra Speed and Webra pipe that Joe Bridi used on the original.

The Great Planes DB will use the OS 65 AX and Macs pipe per the manual.

We learned, in the old days, knife edge trim could be adjusted by moving the pipe on the side mounted engine of the Tipo and Curare models up and down. Ineresting that Dick Hanson could have mounted the engine upright and chose not to...

My flight reports will be performed with a few other pilots and I will post their thoughts, my radio trims mixes, model and component weights and will be a lot of fun to compare the two models!

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Apr 18, 2012, 04:26 PM
Registered User
doxilia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berusty
My review will be able to discuss the "upright" mounted engine versus the side mounted engine.

My wooden DB will use a Webra Speed and Webra pipe that Joe Bridi used on the original.

The Great Planes DB will use the OS 65 AX and Macs pipe per the manual.

We learned, in the old days, knife edge trim could be adjusted by moving the pipe on the side mounted engine of the Tipo and Curare models up and down. Ineresting that Dick Hanson could have mounted the engine upright and chose not to...

My flight reports will be performed with a few other pilots and I will post their thoughts, my radio trims mixes, model and component weights and will be a lot of fun to compare the two models!

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
That will be interesting Rusty.

I can't aesthetically conceive of a Tipo or a Curare with a vertically mounted engine. To me, it would ruin the front end design of the plane which is tall but skinny. The DB on the other hand has a "conical" front end (more or less) so upright or side mounted installations strike me as being equally suitable - pilot preference.

David
Apr 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
Registered User
jpurcha's Avatar

Upright engine


Probably just used to seeing an upright engine because every Bridi design had an upright engine from Bridi Trainers to Utter Chaos's (or is it Chaos'). Any who.

Jim


Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia
That will be interesting Rusty.

I can't aesthetically conceive of a Tipo or a Curare with a vertically mounted engine. To me, it would ruin the front end design of the plane which is tall but skinny. The DB on the other hand has a "conical" front end (more or less) so upright or side mounted installations strike me as being equally suitable - pilot preference.

David
Apr 18, 2012, 10:16 PM
Registered User
doxilia's Avatar
But a Tipo with an upright engine &@!?

David


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Dirty Birdy 40 - Laser Kit doxilia Classic Pattern Flying 208 Today 02:14 AM
Discussion SuperPacer 20/Dirty T Birdy 20 Conversion SpadCat2000 Glow to Electric Conversions 14 Apr 07, 2012 09:26 PM
Sold Great Planes 60" Fokker TriPlane ARF Kit elinor Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Mar 18, 2012 08:03 PM
For Sale 60 Size Great Planes DRI ARF plankbuster Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 12 Oct 29, 2011 07:23 PM
Sold great planes sukhoi su-31 arf 60.00 Expresscraft Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Sep 10, 2011 04:26 AM