Apr 07, 2012, 07:21 PM
Custom User Title
Thread OP
Question

How to use Brushless motor on Spektrum AR6400L?

Well, my motor is pooped and i want to keep the AR6400. I seem to recall that you can program the AR6400L to be able to control a BL motor through those 3 pins where the brushed motor plugs in? If not where do you plug in the ESC?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2012, 09:53 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
here ya go....enjoy
Apr 08, 2012, 08:32 AM
Custom User Title
Thread OP
Thanks!
Apr 08, 2012, 09:08 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
here ya go....enjoy
After you program the RX to drive an external ESC. Check the AR6400 (L) instructions for the specifics.
Apr 08, 2012, 10:37 AM
Custom User Title
Thread OP
I got the AR6400L from some one on RCG. I don't have any instructions. Do you know if you can get a PDF version of the instructions? And you do use the controller to program it, right?
Apr 08, 2012, 10:59 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilot786457 View Post
I got the AR6400L from some one on RCG. I don't have any instructions. Do you know if you can get a PDF version of the instructions? And you do use the controller to program it, right?
Its a good idea to save the PDF to someplace you remember, because you will need to refer to it often when Programming.

The Horizon Hobbies site is the best place to get the pdf manuals.

AR6410L manual (DSMX AR6400L)

AR6400T manual
Apr 08, 2012, 04:34 PM
The ar6400x is notorious for non-linear control of a brushless motor after programming it from brushed to brushless.

If you have that problem (usually it shows up as no motor operation until about half throttle), then you need to program the throttle output to the gear channel. Do this as follows:

Mix 1 (this negates the Gear function)

Gear > Gear ACT
Rate D -100% U -100%
SW ON Trim INH

Mix 2 (this makes the throttle signal come out on the gear channel connector)

THRO > GEAR ACT
Rate D +100% U +100%
SW ON TRIM ACT

Now, plug your ESC into the lower three pins on the X-PORT/Gear channel connector (the one between the servos).

This has worked well for me on several models, using different ESC's and motors. [Credit to RCG'ers UNGN and Scharlach for this].

Oh, and on the diagram above, don't forget the diode, and observe the marking band on the diode, making sure it is closest to the RX, not the ESC, otherwise nothing's gonna' work!! Radio Shack sells 1N4001 diodes, and they're cheap.
Last edited by 356Jim; Apr 08, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Apr 08, 2012, 07:59 PM
Custom User Title
Thread OP
a diagram maybe? Thanks!
Apr 08, 2012, 08:33 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
a diagram maybe? Thanks!
A diagram for what?

What Jim is saying is you can also plug the the ESC into brick as shown in the Diagram above in the X-port (plug 5, to the front of the Brick) and then use the mixes from his post.

To do this, you'll need a plug from a dead servo, or a new one from RC-connectors.com (glenn2626).

You can back power the Brick through the xport, but its probably best just to run only the signal wire through the Channel 5 plug, instead of plugging it into the motor block.

The downside of this method is you need a servo plug... and if you plug signal into the motor block, you just need a piece of wire and heat shrink to make a plug... but if your throttle channel doesn't respond properly, you got to do what you got to do.

The other downside do using Channel 5 for throttle is on loss of signal, the channel holds last position, so if it loses signal at WOT, it flies away. There is no "return to zero" or failsafe location for Channels 5 or 6. They just die in place.
Apr 08, 2012, 08:34 PM
Quote:
a diagram maybe? Thanks!
?? The diagram I'm referring to is in Post #2 from KCinNC.
Apr 09, 2012, 06:51 AM
Custom User Title
Thread OP
Oops!. I didn't mean to say that! I was in a rush to get off the computer and wasn't thinking what to say... Lol! Anyway what I mean was that I don't think I have the DSMX version, and I need to know if they work the same as DSM2.. Is there any way to find out for sure?
Last edited by BladeScraper; Apr 09, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
Apr 09, 2012, 10:02 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Oops!. I didn't mean to say that! I was in a rush to get off the computer and wasn't thinking what to say... Lol! Anyway what I mean was that I don't think I have the DSMX version, and I need to know if they work the same as DSM2.. Is there any way to find out for sure?
The AR6400 doesn't work when a Radio is in DSMX mode (only DSM2)

The AR6410 works in Both modes.
Apr 10, 2012, 07:01 AM
Custom User Title
Thread OP
Okay, I have 6410
Apr 14, 2012, 09:35 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
The ar6400x is notorious for non-linear control of a brushless motor after programming it from brushed to brushless.

If you have that problem (usually it shows up as no motor operation until about half throttle), then you need to program the throttle output to the gear channel. Do this as follows:

Mix 1 (this negates the Gear function)

Gear > Gear ACT
Rate D -100% U -100%
SW ON Trim INH

Mix 2 (this makes the throttle signal come out on the gear channel connector)

THRO > GEAR ACT
Rate D +100% U +100%
SW ON TRIM ACT

Now, plug your ESC into the lower three pins on the X-PORT/Gear channel connector (the one between the servos).

This has worked well for me on several models, using different ESC's and motors. [Credit to RCG'ers UNGN and Scharlach for this].

Oh, and on the diagram above, don't forget the diode, and observe the marking band on the diode, making sure it is closest to the RX, not the ESC, otherwise nothing's gonna' work!! Radio Shack sells 1N4001 diodes, and they're cheap.
i had alot of headaches with the throttle after programming the ar6400 to BL...so i just did a whole BL conversion WITHOUT the 6400 on my T-28...
looks like alot of weight...but with a 180mah 2s battery you can only fly it at 3/4 max throttle.....and it also glides sooo good back to earth with no throttle
Apr 14, 2012, 09:54 PM
Custom User Title
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
i had alot of headaches with the throttle after programming the ar6400 to BL...so i just did a whole BL conversion WITHOUT the 6400 on my T-28...
looks like alot of weight...but with a 180mah 2s battery you can only fly it at 3/4 max throttle.....and it also glides sooo good back to earth with no throttle
Thats kind of a big motor.....

Quick Reply