Turnigy 9XR - Page 59 - RC Groups
Nov 14, 2012, 01:08 PM
RC beginner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottietwohoty
I tryed to search this thread with no luck, so here is my question: Will the turnigy radio bind with a Frysky reciever with no modification?
there is no radio in the world that works with frsky w/o modification. at the very least you have to add an frsky rf module.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the replys!! It's actually Frsky and I also have a DIY module that I can put in the radio. Looks like I will just order one from HK and see how it goes.

Thanks for the quick replys!!!
Nov 14, 2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottietwohoty
Thanks for the replys!! It's actually Frsky and I also have a DIY module that I can put in the radio. Looks like I will just order one from HK and see how it goes.

Thanks for the quick replys!!!
I always get the two confused. FrSky, FlySky, isn't there a 3rd one too? Stupid people need to be more creative with their brand names.
Nov 14, 2012, 01:25 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo
No one would be forcing a solution onto anyone. If you don't want to use the sticks just don't use them. Just because there are controls on a radio you don't absolutely HAVE to use them.
No, but the 99% of people not using them won't want to pay their radio $55 instead of $50 because of them. And supposing price stayed the same, HK definitely wouldn't want to lose $5 on every radio they sell just to please a couple of guys

The 9XR's aim is to be the cheapest decent radio for everyone, every cent they can save is welcome. It's not trying to please everybody's own special needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo
I read some angst towards FPV in between the lines...
I have been flying FPV for 10 years... but don't want one of these things, I wouldn't use it
Nov 14, 2012, 01:25 PM
On a holiday?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993
learned not everyone has capacity for objective viewpoint. i will repeat that an extra arm or leg sticking out your back can be quite inconvenient whether you make use of it or not.

sunday a fellow told me with dead serious look on his face that "dlg" was the future of rc. lol!
So why am I not being objective? Well ok, I agree I'm not objective but neither are you. Objectivity is a theoretical idea, it doesn't really exists.

Well what I meant that RC is moving toward FPV is that FPV is a growing genre within the RC-hobby. A larger percentage then before are flying FPV and I don't think this will change anytime soon. I didn't mean that all RC will be FPV, that I do not believe.

Also I didn't mean that extra joysticks would actually be large sticks, rather small ones as the ones in the link. Sure not everyone will use them but if they were placed smartly they wouldn't be noticed IMO.
Nov 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
On a holiday?
@Kilrah
Yeah, well, I guess I can just replace a couple of pots and make the mod myself...

But the cost increase of $5 is totally unrealistic though, where on earth did you come up with that number? It might not even be $2.
Nov 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Read between the lines... As I said - for that class of "as cheap as possible" radio, any cent would be misplaced if it wasn't used by the majority of people
Nov 14, 2012, 01:38 PM
Registered Addict
I know this might be impossible to answer yet, but I'm sure me like many other want to know if it's worth upgrading from 9x to the 9xr?
Nov 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Depends... Have you flashed your 9x? Do you intend to do it? Do you need DSM2/X?
Nov 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Read between the lines... As I said - for that class of "as cheap as possible" radio, any cent would be misplaced if it wasn't used by the majority of people
I wonder why so many of you are against that idea. 2$ would not change anything, because there's nobody close to it's price point. If additional stick makes you uncomfortable, it could be only port with ability to buy stick separatly, it could be mounted on side, if someone thinks back is not the best place for it, it can be smaller, just use imagination, instead of ranting at others ideas.
Nov 14, 2012, 02:13 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Then you can already do it. The 9XR having 2 trainer ports means you should be able to use one to hook your stick to, and still have another one free
Nov 14, 2012, 02:16 PM
The parts would be $2 however with getting it installed as well $5 is more reasonable. There's a reason most (all?) radios don't come with a third joystick and that's because the demand isn't there. I fly FPV and use head tracking instead and have no interest in a third joystick. There would be many more important features I'd include before that such as sliders and telemetry. Glad they didn't add the third joystick which would increase the price only to cater for a niche market. Remember this is a mass market radio.
Nov 14, 2012, 02:19 PM
On a holiday?
@Kilrah
Then you need to have a device that produces a PPM signal. Not really super easy to do and it will be quite bulky compared to a built-in stick. It's IMO easier to just replace two pots with the two pots inside a stick. But, of course, this would've been easier if it was already made. As long as the calibrate function remains which is on the ER9X it's quite easy.

@BrettAltea
All this cost estimates are just that, estimates, you don't know and I don't know. Telemetry in my book is a recipe for disaster as most RC-fliers don't even know what RFI is and don't do proper range checks.
Nov 14, 2012, 02:37 PM
Registered Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Depends... Have you flashed your 9x? Do you intend to do it? Do you need DSM2/X?
No, maybe. Dunno what dsm2/x is, yet. So I guess not. Could we expect range improvement for the 9xr?
Nov 14, 2012, 02:41 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Probably not. The range on most 2.4GHz systems is pretty much equivalent.

DSM2/DSMX are the Spektrum protocols, so you could bind to existing Spektrum receivers such as the ones in their good bind-and-fly models. If that doesn't interest you - likely not much of an upgrade.