Jan 13, 2013, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
Yes, but it will not work directly with the DHT, or any other module for that matter. Easiest to just make a new one.

I will not be using the official, or any DSM2/X module..........Im not sure why anybody would want to!!!

The 5dB antenna is the one Im using. I just rebuilt it on a slightly longer cable with a UFL on it.
But I may want to use the Orange LRS module at some point. Of course, I'd need an external antenna to resonate on 433mhz, or maybe just peel the cover off a 70cm "rubber duckie" and insert that in the handle.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2013, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post

No not good at all. I did wonder if it was extreme cold that the others had problems with but at just above freezing here, its not that extreme. It's almost as if this was rushed into production and was never tested at different temperatures in a thermal test chamber. Nooo, that couldn't have happened could it?

Si.
If its that cold, you need something to keep your pinkies warm too.....

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ap_Ready_.html

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Muff_Red.html
Jan 13, 2013, 10:08 PM
FPV in Hawaii
I'm wondering if I can use my FM Synth module in the 9XR. How do I tap into the antenna? I would probably just add a telescopic antenna directly to the module so it gets removed along with the module. Which pins are the antenna on?
Jan 13, 2013, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
I'm wondering if I can use my FM Synth module in the 9XR. How do I tap into the antenna? I would probably just add a telescopic antenna directly to the module so it gets removed along with the module. Which pins are the antenna on?
Sure it would work. pin one is the antenna line. You'd have to mod the module somehow and tie your antenna directly into that.
Jan 14, 2013, 01:03 AM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Took out my Turnigy 9XR to the flying field today, to do a bit of testing on a chilly British midday. It didn't get very far....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWMvvb8UhPQ

Not particularly cold here compared to some of you guys on here! Anyone else had this problem?

Either I got a dud, or this transmitter design has some issues...

Si.
Mine showed no problem when flying at about 3C using FrSky.

Will try in colder weather when the present mild spell ends (but I don't usually fly below -10C).
Jan 14, 2013, 01:22 AM
There's a cold weather buttons sticking thread running in the 9xr forum. It doesn't look like Simon is the only one having this problem.
Jan 14, 2013, 01:30 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
My 9XR arrived exactly 7 days after ordering and was from the 2nd batch of Mode 1's. Really happy with it and doesnt have the reported faults, ie gimbals behave fine with no clicking and the power switch behaves itself. The casing marks are so superficial. My main gripes are the known ones too. The sticking out OrangeRx aerial at the back - will definately get the Turnigy DSMX asap. In the interim will rig up a rear stand and maybe take the aerial off when not needing it. And the 'iron cross' 4 way button sometimes need to press it a second time firmer to get it to do things in the programming but I can live with this gripe.

As I am moving up from a DX6i, I dont have high aspirations. My main comment compared to the DX6i is the ergonomics are not as nice and the weight is higher. With a 2200mah 3S my 9XR weighs 938 grams with module without antenna compared to 734 grams for the DX6i with its 4 cell NiMh. But the DX6i is a lightweight TX. At least both the DX6I and 9XR balance perfectly with the batteries mentioned using a neckstrap, unlike some more expensive TX's!

Obviously the extra channels, pots and 3 way switch are big improvements over the DX6i. And the ER9X is brilliant. Ive got the HK programmer so will reflash to Open9X after a bit more playing around with the stock ER9X. At last I have a TX I can setup a full house glider on
Jan 14, 2013, 01:54 AM
I finally had a chance to fly with my 9XR today. It was not bad to fly with. Felt good in my hands. However the trim switches did not work once the transmitter got cold.
The 4 directions switches - Maltese cross - had problems from day 1 -- no down control, and press to hard on up and either side control may make contact. Thank goodness for scrolling pots so I can get the cursor to move down that way.

After flying with it -- I'd give it good marks for the feel of the gimbals, the switches, and even the stupid ready light was not irritating like I thought it would be -- however the contact plastic switches are an absolute deal breaker! They are a complete F-up by whoever engineered this radio. I was able to fix the rocking gimbal plug with glue, and replace the balance plug connector with a proper futaba plug -- but the switches -- I'm stuck with. Horrible shame. I'm not even sure if I'm going to take the time to move the antenna from the back to the top now. Don't see the point is messing with this Tx any more.

I bought it to check it out. No big deal.. but after checking it out... I don't even think I would want to give it away with those problems. I'll visit with a couple friends and see if they have an idea to make those buttons work better.
Jan 14, 2013, 02:00 AM
Plane Fanatic
Bummer about the cold weather button issues. Wont be a problem for me though - was flying using my 9XR on Sunday and it was 37 degree Celsius with over 90% humidity. Radio worked fine - I was nearly cooked though

Good old Queensland Australia summer - man its hot and getting hotter.
Jan 14, 2013, 02:16 AM
This must be a ploy from HK to sell more transmitter heater bags
Jan 14, 2013, 02:28 AM

programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
My 9XR arrived exactly 7 days after ordering and was from the 2nd batch of Mode 1's. Really happy with it and doesnt have the reported faults, ie gimbals behave fine with no clicking and the power switch behaves itself. The casing marks are so superficial. My main gripes are the known ones too. The sticking out OrangeRx aerial at the back - will definately get the Turnigy DSMX asap. In the interim will rig up a rear stand and maybe take the aerial off when not needing it. And the 'iron cross' 4 way button sometimes need to press it a second time firmer to get it to do things in the programming but I can live with this gripe.

As I am moving up from a DX6i, I dont have high aspirations. My main comment compared to the DX6i is the ergonomics are not as nice and the weight is higher. With a 2200mah 3S my 9XR weighs 938 grams with module without antenna compared to 734 grams for the DX6i with its 4 cell NiMh. But the DX6i is a lightweight TX. At least both the DX6I and 9XR balance perfectly with the batteries mentioned using a neckstrap, unlike some more expensive TX's!

Obviously the extra channels, pots and 3 way switch are big improvements over the DX6i. And the ER9X is brilliant. Ive got the HK programmer so will reflash to Open9X after a bit more playing around with the stock ER9X. At last I have a TX I can setup a full house glider on
can you tell us more about this: ' Ive got the HK programmer ' ?
link? how does it work?
thanks
Jan 14, 2013, 02:41 AM
You have all the hardware you need to reflash - have a read here on how to do it.
http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/F...t_1_-_Hardware
Jan 14, 2013, 02:56 AM
Team Drone Art
I already mentioned running into the cold issue with the button a page or so back. We have a unusual spell of cold whether at night. Went out flying at 8pm and I think the temp was in the mid 30s. I think it was likely closer to 40s. And sure enough, the menu button went down and didn't want to come back up.

Now at home, it squeaks and occasionally get stuck. This wasn't the case before I took it into the cold.

I think the rest of the radio is fine. But these 9xr buttons are so inconsistent. It makes it hard to program using them. On my 9x, I can fly through programming via the radio.

I also have issues with pressing up or down, and the buttons register up and left/right. And goes back or forward a menu. Annoying!
Jan 14, 2013, 02:59 AM
I AM SO GLAD I AM KEEPING THE 9X INSTEAD! The 9XR is someone else's problem now!
Jan 14, 2013, 03:48 AM
As far as the sticking buttons, could it just be some excess flashing on the case that can easily be sanded off causing the problem?

Quick Reply