Jan 13, 2013, 12:05 AM
From HK 9XR listing: * JR Form Factor RF Modules (Orx Dsm2, Orx Open LRS 433Mhz etc).

I would preffer to start using the HK Orange DSM Rx's when I update to a 9XR, but don't want to dump all my 9X compatable Rx's or carry around 2 Transmitters (9X & 9XR).

I would love a 9XR that is compatable with both the 9X and orange Rx's. Is this likely to be posible with any of the "Form factor modules" listed above. Or will the only way to achieve this be a hardware Mod installing two Tx modules (like the 9X mods)?

What is ORX Open" ????
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2013, 12:06 AM
Goneflying
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlmtl
Can you give more info about the way to do this please.
a little hard to explain but if you go to the 2nd page on the 9xr menu screen you will find the function there.
Here I copied & pasted it from the manual

12. Trim Sw: Neat little function this is. When in flight if this key is activated it reads the current position of the sticks and trims and copies that into the subtrims. After that it zeros the trims.
This is really neat for new models when you might have a hard time taking your hands off the stick and pressing the trims. Simply hold the plane level with the sticks and press the selected trim switch. The plane is trimmed.
Jan 13, 2013, 12:07 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
- go to menu, "setup"
- set "Trim Sw" to an unused switch (for example, "TRN" for trainer switch
- get your plane in the air, and trim out using trim switches
- Pull TRN switch

two things will happen:
- the trims you have set will be copied to subtrim values on the LIMITS menu.
- trims will be set to zero

It's a great er9x feature! I don't know of any other radios that have that.
Jan 13, 2013, 12:12 AM
Quote:
In the model setup screen (from the ER9x user guide from 9xforums.com)

"9. Trim Sw: Neat little function this is. When in flight if this key is activated it reads the current position of the sticks and trims and copies that into the subtrims. After that it zeros the trims.This is really neat for new models when you might have a hard time taking your hands off the stick and pressing the trims. Simply hold the plane level with the sticks and press the selected trim switch. Voilà – the plane is trimmed. It's magic! No it ain't. It's ER9x!!!"

Very useful on maiden flight of a not very well trimmed plane.
Jan 13, 2013, 12:21 AM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
It's in the manual, but not obvious. It's called Trim Sw on the Model Setup menu (not a very descriptive name - auto-trim might be better).

You can choose a switch on the transmitter that will in effect convert the current position of the sticks into subtrims, while at the same time zeroing the trims. You just hold the plane level with the sticks, push the switch and release the sticks.

The risk is that you could push the switch in the middle of a maneuver and get a model trimmed for snap roll, say! So you want to select a switch that's easy to find but hard to push accidentally.

Obviously, in the video you'll see a situation where this feature would have been ideal. However, I was programming the transmitter 10 minutes before I went flying and only did the basics. I must go back and set it up.

Another programming feature that's very useful with some models, and in particular for Polaris, is different control curves for up and down elevator. Polaris has its stab set at -2 degrees relative to the wing to oppose the nose down pitch caused by the high mounted motor. It works very well upright, but when you roll or fly inverted, it takes a lot of down stick to overcome what is now a pitch down effect of the stab. If you have the usual expo on the elevator curve, it makes things worse inverted because the elevator becomes excessively sensitive just about where you want to hold it for inverted level flight.

So I set up the elevator on a curve that has normal expo (about 30%) on the up side but opposite expo initially on the down side, then a straight line the rest of the way. This means that when you roll inverted, it only takes a small amount of down to keep the nose level, but flying around inverted the elevator has normal sensitivity. This is something the alternative firmware makes easy.
Jan 13, 2013, 12:31 AM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar
-
Auto-trim has been around for 20 years or so but is not provided on many radios.
Jan 13, 2013, 12:39 AM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansurf2
From HK 9XR listing: * JR Form Factor RF Modules (Orx Dsm2, Orx Open LRS 433Mhz etc).

I would preffer to start using the HK Orange DSM Rx's when I update to a 9XR, but don't want to dump all my 9X compatable Rx's or carry around 2 Transmitters (9X & 9XR).

I would love a 9XR that is compatable with both the 9X and orange Rx's. Is this likely to be posible with any of the "Form factor modules" listed above. Or will the only way to achieve this be a hardware Mod installing two Tx modules (like the 9X mods)?

What is ORX Open" ????
The Turnigy 9x comes with a module that uses the FlySky protocol. You can get such a module with the FlySky label on it and with a built in antenna. You can plug it into the 9XR and continue to use the receivers from the 9x setup. (Edit: See molond's link below)

Or you can get the Orange module that fits the 9XR (when it becomes available) and use it with DSM2 receivers such as the Orange 610.

What you can't do (easily anyway) is have both capabilities simultaneously. The 9XR has quite a bit less space for internal installation than the 9x. If you want a dual transmitter, go for the 9x, install the SmartyParts board to provide a programmer, flash it to ER9x, buy a DX4e and remove its module and install in the 9x. It would probably be cheaper, however, to have two transmitters. Or just sell your old equipment and settle on one system, DSM2.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM.
Jan 13, 2013, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansurf2

What is ORX Open" ????
The module in the back of the 9X is in the JR form factor but you will have to mod an antenna onto it.

You can also buy a module from FlySky that is compatible with the 9X (V2) receivers. I got mine from here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...513456959.html
Jan 13, 2013, 12:51 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar
- go to menu, "setup"
- set "Trim Sw" to an unused switch (for example, "TRN" for trainer switch
- get your plane in the air, and trim out using trim switches
- Pull TRN switch

two things will happen:
- the trims you have set will be copied to subtrim values on the LIMITS menu.
- trims will be set to zero

It is a handy feature to recenter your trims at the flip of a switch. Like already mentioned...it's not a first though. I had an old Ace MicroPro8000 that worked even better. You flew the plane and held the sticks for straight and level...then pressed a button and it would slew in trim until the sticks were centered, then let go of the button. It may sound awkward, but worked great. You never had to even touch a trim switch.
Jan 13, 2013, 07:17 AM
Thank you very much for your answer guys. It seems very practical to be able to trim a plane with the flip of one switch while flying. I was surprised to learn this kind of radio can do this thing.
Jan 13, 2013, 07:21 AM
chicken nuggets
Excellent stuff ... Now you are beginning to see the true value of these $50 radios with this software! Whilst it is not a new idea, the only other current radio I know of that boasts about this feature is an $800 Jeti! With the 'trim SW' setting system, once you have it set for a particular model, land it and de-assign the switch you used to prevent inadvertant operation.
The er9x family of software is truly superb once you get your head around it and there is virtually nothing it cannot do.
Jan 13, 2013, 07:41 AM

Changing mode2 to mode1

For those who were wondering how to change from mode 2 to mode 1 the 9xr, here is a quick instructions from how I did it.

This is easy as far as you know how to solder (basic skills, only wires soldering).
1- Gimbals must be removed and inverted (left to right) and put up side down to correctly fit.
2- 2 wires must be cut and elongated
3- Plug on one gimbal (right only) must be removed to avoid blocking after swapping the gimbal. Direct wires soldering to do.
4- Signal and ground wires must be inverted on each gimbal wires (easy on one side of the 3 pins plugs) .
5- Radio setup must be configured to mode1.
6- Radio setup gimbal calibration must be done after changes.
7- Done!

The only little touchy part is to remove the plug on the right gimbal that will block after switching the gimbal from left to right and put it up side down.

Here are some pics for better explainations:
Jan 13, 2013, 07:48 AM
It's great to start seeing some mods on the 9xr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers
I was intending to keep this transmitter completely stock. However after greasing the gimbals, I got the itch to try a few other things. Plus I am procrastinating from work that I really need to get done.

I first soldered a JST connector onto the two spare holes of the Balance connector PCB. This should make it easier to connect a battery, and not all packs come with a very long balance lead.

Secondly I did the FrSky Telemetry mod. I used a old SP232ECP I had hanging around (a copy of the MAX232) and soldered it onto a bit of veroboard with a couple of caps - old skool style. The UART wires I then soldered to the ISP connector. I had to cut the traces and relocate the two switches too.

I used a 4 way connector I had hanging around (I think came from iteadstudio) that I used to use for a old Hitec Telemetry project and drilled a hole next to the module port for it to go through. Then glued it all down along with the gimbal connectors.

Not a whole lot room near the ISP/power connector side for mods. However on the other side (right if looking from the bottom), the battery bay has a removable section that would give a large amount of room there for future mods.

The next thing I reckon will be to connect the FrSky module into the internal antenna somehow - if I can be bothered. Either that, or I'll buy a FrSky receiver antenna extension cable and connect that directly to the transmitter module inside. Will be less RF loss that way than using RF connector adapters, also less connectors to fail. Probably cheaper too.

Si.
Jan 13, 2013, 10:29 AM
I have been reading this thread with rabid interest. I am astounded by the mods that you guys have done on the 9X and are planning for the 9XR. Are any of you able to help here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post23799998

Thanks!
Jan 13, 2013, 10:38 AM

what is it with these CS people at HK?

Ive been trying to get a problem with my order sorted out and so far the CS at HK have been no help at all. Now this morning I wake up and contact them for the ninth time. this is the help i get....

You are now chatting with : Ivy (Customer Service)
Ivy:
Thank you for contacting the HobbyKing Support Team. How may I help you?
You:
XXXXXXX400 an item on my order is still showing as (backorder) HK-D922MG. and none of the items are (reserved)
You:
this is the 8th time ive contacted someone about this. last thing i want is for my tx to restock and my order not filled because the servo states that its on back order
Ivy:
One moment please.
You:
sure thing
Ivy:
Would you like to wait for this item or remove it instead?
You:
the item is showing that it is 10 + on its page https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14279
You:
so is HK-D922MG in stock or not? my invoice says backorder. product page says 10+
Ivy:
That's a different item.
You:

Description Quantity
Pinion Gear 3.17mm/0.5M 12T (1pc) 1 IN STOCK
Turnigy 9XR Transmitter Mode 2 (No Module) 1 Backorder
Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories 1 IN STOCK
Hobby King 401B AVCS Digital Head Lock Gyro 1 IN STOCK
HobbyKing 939MG Metal Gear Servo 2.5kg/ 12.5g/ 0.14sec 3 IN STOCK
HobbyKing 40A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller 1 IN STOCK
Nylon XT60 Connectors Male/Female (5 pairs) GENUINE 1 IN STOCK
HobbyKing HK-922MG Digital Metal Gear Servo 1.8kg/ 12g/ 0.07sec 1 Backorder
OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible) 1 IN STOCK
325mm Fibreglass Main Blade (1pair) 1 IN STOCK
Ivy:
XXXXXX400 shows the NEO-6M GPS Module is out of stock.
Ivy:
The list you've provided is another order.
You:
XXXXXXX400 is my invoice number
Ivy:
I'm sorry, that was for another customer.
Ivy:
Your order will be packed and shipped soon. Please check in 1-2 business days for your order status to update.
You:
?!? are you sure? because my 9xr hasnt restocked. how can it ship?
Ivy:
Is there anything else that I may help you with?
You
yes answer my question please

well I didnt get and answer to my question. I did get a pop up window notifying me that the chat session has closed. Thanks alot HobbyKIng Support TEAM!
It is a shame that they have no answer for me......
Anyone can see that HK-922MG is clearly stocked 10+ on its page.
My problem is it shows that its on backorder on my invoice.
I just wanted to share my lack of support with you, rcgroups

Quick Reply