Thread Tools
Dec 29, 2012, 02:06 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahuna
FYI... a new release of the manual is out (v2.1)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...3X39217X34.pdf
Three attempts at a manual, and it still doesn't say how to connect the battery
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2012, 02:19 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith
Three attempts at a manual, and it still doesn't say how to connect the battery
Yep, if this thing is going to be documented it's going to be community-documented.

Fortunately the pics on the product page make it pretty clear... A 3S balance plug is all that's necessary, so any HK 3S will suffice. I'm going to break down and get another LiFe... probably this one, since it's a bit under $7.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_pack_.html

Dec 29, 2012, 02:28 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
bkahuna's Avatar
[QUOTE=dziedrius;23648232]To understand this, you don't need to be an engineer, I think Anthony has seen tens if not hundreds lipos/chargers, so he would really know what does it mean to give different load to separate cells, I don't believe they could make such obvious mistake.[QUOTE]

The question is why did they use a balancing plug if they weren't splitting the voltages up internally? Something is fishy here.
Dec 29, 2012, 02:35 AM
kha
kha
openLRSng haxor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahuna
The question is why did they use a balancing plug if they weren't splitting the voltages up internally? Something is fishy here.
A 4 pin JST balance connector is something that most 3S LiPo/LiFe batteries have, so it is a sensible choice even if only the 2 edge pins are actually connected.

I think the we only get definite answers when someone opens one up so waiting for a proper 'unboxing' vid which goes inside the radio .
Dec 29, 2012, 02:36 AM
Registered User
[QUOTE=bkahuna;23648503][QUOTE=dziedrius;23648232]To understand this, you don't need to be an engineer, I think Anthony has seen tens if not hundreds lipos/chargers, so he would really know what does it mean to give different load to separate cells, I don't believe they could make such obvious mistake.
Quote:

The question is why did they use a balancing plug if they weren't splitting the voltages up internally? Something is fishy here.
As others said - it may be because balancing connector is common for all batteries, while power connector may be XT-60, JST, T, etc.
Anyway, I agree, that it is fishy and not so convenient as it looks from first sight.
Dec 29, 2012, 03:10 AM
Registered User
molond's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA
One cell would still get out of balance, and more so by a switching method like that.

Logical would be to just use a 2S, and people can power their 3S equipment with a separate pack, or , just run the whole thing off 3S.

We wont know for sure what they did until we get them.

There are a LOT of people who will buy them that will never see these forums though, so they still need to clear up how the external 12V power port functions on the product page, and in the manual.
Switching wouldn't be so bad.

1+2 for X seconds
2+3 for X seconds
1+3 for X seconds

and we are back to balanced
Dec 29, 2012, 03:18 AM
kha
kha
openLRSng haxor
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond
Switching wouldn't be so bad.

1+2 for X seconds
2+3 for X seconds
1+3 for X seconds

and we are back to balanced
Well... taking power from 1+3 is a bit difficult... renember the battery is internally wired in series i.e. the voltages on the balance connector are 0V:4V:8V:12V, now it is easy to take 8V between 0V - 8V and 4V - 12V but taking from 0-4 and 8-12 is a separate story and needs lot more junk than a simple switchmode convertter that could just output 8V (or anything) from the full 12V.
Dec 29, 2012, 03:30 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha
A 4 pin JST balance connector is something that most 3S LiPo/LiFe batteries have, so it is a sensible choice even if only the 2 edge pins are actually connected.

I think the we only get definite answers when someone opens one up so waiting for a proper 'unboxing' vid which goes inside the radio .
Please, no "unboxing" vid. They are about as useful as a butthole on your elbow.
Dec 29, 2012, 03:35 AM
Registered User
molond's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha
Well... taking power from 1+3 is a bit difficult... renember the battery is internally wired in series i.e. the voltages on the balance connector are 0V:4V:8V:12V, now it is easy to take 8V between 0V - 8V and 4V - 12V but taking from 0-4 and 8-12 is a separate story and needs lot more junk than a simple switchmode convertter that could just output 8V (or anything) from the full 12V.
I know its not easy, but it is 'easy'.

You just use need to use a couple of germanium diodes (0.2V loss).
Dec 29, 2012, 03:36 AM
Registered User
Schottky are low drop also, Ge is antiquity.
Dec 29, 2012, 03:39 AM
Registered User
molond's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Schottky are low drop also, Ge is antiquity.
Sorry, those are the only ones I have seen at the moment. I only had to do an introduction to electrical engineering for my course.
Dec 29, 2012, 03:49 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahuna
The question is why did they use a balancing plug if they weren't splitting the voltages up internally? Something is fishy here.
I think it's so you can use any 3S no matter what power connector you have (e.g. XT60, Deans, etc)
Dec 29, 2012, 03:49 AM
kha
kha
openLRSng haxor
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond
I know its not easy, but it is 'easy'.

You just use need to use a couple of germanium diodes (0.2V loss).
As far as my electrical skills are considered I don't see any way without active components (basically a switcher + transformer) to take power from just sells 1 and 3 of a 3 cell serial connected battery to provide a single 2S output.

So enlighten me,
Dec 29, 2012, 03:56 AM
Registered User
molond's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha
As far as my electrical skills are considered I don't see any way without active components (basically a switcher + transformer) to take power from just sells 1 and 3 of a 3 cell serial connected battery to provide a single 2S output.

So enlighten me,
Ok, I thought this up in ten seconds so this many not work perfectly (And probably making a fool of myself). I once though of a way that seemed foolproof but I forgot it.

-->| -(cell 3)+ -->| -(cell 1)+ -->|

Also I may have the diodes the wrong way around (too long since I did any proper electrical work).

EDIT: You may not even need the centre diode if the cells are in that order.
Dec 29, 2012, 04:00 AM
Registered User
WimH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomphish
Ordered mine on the 25/12 as well and it says there in stock and my order has 3 green ticks next to it, what ever that means.. :-/
I read more came on 27. Must all have been Mode2, I ordered Mode1....


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Gens Ace, Turnigy, Turnigy Nano-Tech Sky lipo, etc. What's Your Preference? jlloyd1995 Batteries and Chargers 133 May 14, 2015 10:53 PM
Sold 2 turnigy motors 2 turnigy esc's crashnburn69 Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 4 Oct 13, 2012 11:05 AM
For Sale Turnigy 2x 3s 1000 mah and 2s 1000 mah and Turnigy 2s/3s Lipo charger. Falconpunch Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 1 Mar 18, 2012 09:47 PM
Discussion Turnigy or Turnigy Nanotech lawguy14 Batteries and Chargers 4 Mar 15, 2012 08:48 AM