Turnigy 9XR - Page 11 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
RC beginner
its becoming obvious theres a lovers quarrel between hk and flysky. not just the fact that they are almost always out of stock but now the new non-9x compatible 9xr. imo theyre shooting themselves in the foot. or rather shooting their old bud flysky in the foot.

would have been better to stick with original turnigy 9x compatibility and produce a separate low cost dsm2 module. would have made a lot more people a lot happier.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
christian theme park operator
Yes, there does appear to be a divergence under way. Meanwhile, vendors like leaderhobby.com sell their own fair share of 9xs, and they're presumably never going to start stocking HK's in-house 9xr.

Perhaps FlySky will release a 9x v3.0 as a direct competitor to the 9xr, or FrSky will finally produce their own long-awaited Tx.

The 9xr could do with a bit of competition. Lack of sliders was a major disappointment for many. A competitor would get noticed, especially if it also had an in-built programming facility and sliders.
May 26, 2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993
would have been better to stick with original turnigy 9x compatibility and produce a separate low cost dsm2 module. would have made a lot more people a lot happier.
Didnt most people switch from Flysky to Frsky for a better link anyways ? I dont see any advantage of sticking to the cheaper Flyskys which has a limited receiver selection, especially compared to DSM2/DSMX which between the clones and the real deal has the best value and widest range of receiver choices and telemetry.

Flysky isnt exactly spectular in the software/hardware department anyways. witness the stock 9X firmware and wonderfull things like their fs-gt3b radios having negative expo in one direction and positive in the other. Its a good thing people have written software for both.

As for Frsky, they do have an excellent product with a loyal following and they are developing their own product the X12D radio, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1637012
May 26, 2012, 06:50 PM
RC beginner
actually MOST (theres that word again) did not switch to frsky or upgrade software. i say this from observations of many real world locals who purchased one. forum members get a somewhat distorted picture of usage stats by failing to consider that only a tiny percentage of hobbyists are active on the internet.

as a user of stock 9x firmware ill say there is generally little to be critical of unless you consider a couple spelling mistakes tragic. im also a user of the er9x/frsky upgrade for purpose of telemetry and appreciate its power and versatility. but at the same time insist it is not for the majority who would fare better with original firmware. in my (somewhat unpopular) opinion the main reason for frsky upgrade is telemetry and, again, relatively few frsky buyers have shown any interest in that. for most it was just "the thing to do".

imo it makes little sense to compare the turnigy with the upcoming frsky radio. apparently it will cost 3x-4x more than the 9x which owed its popularity to low cost.
May 27, 2012, 02:21 AM
Quote:
imo it makes little sense to compare the turnigy with the upcoming frsky radio. apparently it will cost 3x-4x more than the 9x which owed its popularity to low cost.
I don't know the details, so comparison seems indeed pointless, but even three or four times $50 is still "budget" in the scheme of things, and if it ran er9x, open9x, and all the similar OSS firmware - and had sliders - I dare say there would be a huge amount of interest.

Perhaps it would lead to a "scene" split - those who really buy the 9x(r) because it's the cheapest, and those who would be willing to fork out $150 or $200 for a FrSky radio with truly decent hardware quality and upper-end features.
May 27, 2012, 09:32 AM
Falling with style
subscribed.
May 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Quote:
Not really, because the T9x features already frequency hopping technology, there's essentially nothing wrong with that part of the radio at all.

It doesn't surprise me to not see a backwards-compatibility with the 9XR though as it seems to have become common practice to just release new receivers together with new radios...
May 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
PEMAC
$200 is still alot of money to some, and the original $50 9X allowed me to get a decent 2.4 computer radio when otherwise I would have had to settle for my cheap and nasty 36mHz for quite a while longer.

Having said that, how fantastic is it that the upcoming options are a $50 great radio or a top of the line for $200 !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4
I don't know the details, so comparison seems indeed pointless, but even three or four times $50 is still "budget" in the scheme of things, and if it ran er9x, open9x, and all the similar OSS firmware - and had sliders - I dare say there would be a huge amount of interest.

Perhaps it would lead to a "scene" split - those who really buy the 9x(r) because it's the cheapest, and those who would be willing to fork out $150 or $200 for a FrSky radio with truly decent hardware quality and upper-end features.
May 31, 2012, 10:08 AM

Fake???? or Legit 9XR?????
May 31, 2012, 05:22 PM
Plane Fanatic
Considering that pic is from HK official twitter page it's real. However, we believe it's a work in progress design so may not look anything like that.
May 31, 2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWarmedUp
...we believe it's a work in progress design so may not look anything like that.
Fingers crossed
May 31, 2012, 07:07 PM
The bottom part look like Nintendo controller from the 80's or early 90's?? LOL
Jun 01, 2012, 06:59 AM
IMHO the upper part it's worse than other TX i've ever seen...

Tutorial:

1) cut the horrible antenna near the top of tx

2) mix epoxy resin with black paint

3) close the two holes, and you have a better radio!

Despite the look, i think it's gonna be the cheapest programmable, FW moddable without soldering Radio in the market...

But for us like me who have already a modded 9x with frsky module, the next step is the Frsky 12x.... if they release it in this winter... I hope...
Jun 03, 2012, 06:41 AM
PEMAC
That can't be a 'handle/antenna'. It looks to me like a telemetry LCD.
Jun 03, 2012, 02:01 PM
Registered Abuser
Not really a control pad, just a badge