Apr 06, 2012, 08:15 PM
Rant

Too few are using simulators as learning tools..

I have to say I have been realizing lately with RealFlight 6 that on the multiplayer setting, and there seems to be an amazing amount of people be it children or whomever who tend to use the sim as a type of video game, and I was wondering if anyone else finds it annoying.

I'm sure someone else feels my pain. Let me set up the scenario Your practicing with your flying buddies or even by yourself using the sim as it was designed as a learning tool, and someone joins and turns smoke on right in front of your model completely making it unflyable, or better yet constantly changes the model their flying making a slight lag long enough to practice any type of new manuever all but impossible. They deliberately crash on takeoff, and try to make your model unflyable in general.

I believe the simulator be it RF or Phoenix (I had Phoenix also and had the same issue with it's multiplayer sessions also) is a genuine learning tool and use it as such, but it's amazing how many I've seen using it as a glorified game, especially when RF has multiplayer game settings for the ones who want to use it as a $200 video game they still tend to join sessions of ones trying to simulate reality. (Do yourself a favor and by MFS or another flight sim don't waste your money)

I know you can ban users but that's only if you host the session and that seems vey extreme when you would think most people who would make such a large purchase would use it as it was really designed.
Last edited by storm2313; Apr 06, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2012, 09:25 PM
I feel your pain. I stopped using RF MP with G5. I hadn't been using it much with G4 either, for the same reasons you mention. You could host a session, and run the Fun Fly game. Set it for unlimited time. That prevents people from using weapons. Alt v s p will disable smoke. If you MP with the same people, set up a password for the session.
Apr 06, 2012, 09:43 PM
Administrator
You can hide other participants using the multiplayer gadget.

Jim
Apr 06, 2012, 09:50 PM
Oops! I missed that one. (And I was thinking it as I was typing my previous post!)
Apr 07, 2012, 03:04 AM
I donīt see the problem. Multiplayer is only an option.
Apr 07, 2012, 05:45 AM
I didn't realize I could hide them. As far as not seeing the problem cause multiplayer is an option. Think about it like this how often are you the only flyer at your field? Flying with other pilots is a very integral role of being a pilot.

The possability for a midair collision is real as its happend to me in real life and many others. I also feel it teaches you that although your primarily concentrating on your model to pay attention to the other guys engine's and aircraft by the sounds they make IE a flameout happens to your buddy flying his Extra 300S he needs to land ASAP which takes presidence over any others coming in.

Group flying sessions should be mandatory for anyone flying to make them aware of other planes in the sky at the very least. I know at least by me you wouldn't fly to often if you were waiting to be the only one at the field.
Apr 07, 2012, 07:01 AM
There is a downside to hiding someone in a session. If you're in a session, hosting or not, and you hide everyone who behaves badly, they still take up spots in the session. You could have a full session with everybody hidden but you. You're in effect flying alone, and no one else can join because the session is full.
Apr 07, 2012, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Then kick them instead. You can hide people even if you are not the host but if you are the host make the session whatever you want it to be. Use your server message to make the rules of your session clear. If you host the session regularly and act consistently that will help

I know the situation is'nt perfect and I empathize but just wanted to point out the tools available. Well think about how to make it better.

Jim

Quick Reply