This thread is privately moderated by quadracer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 06, 2012, 06:50 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
Thread OP
Build Log

Buck and Half Huck gear mod

Recently built a new 3DHS 48 Edge, and didn't think too highly of the wire gear. It would bend on even the softest of landings, so when I ordered the new airframe, I also ordered gear from their 47" Extra SHP, along with axles from the 46 Aspera/51 Slick.

When I started to assemble the gear, I used the included ply wedge, but didn't glue it in. Instead, I pushed it into the slot to where it sat flush with the bottom of the fuselage, and ran 3 screws through the formers to hold it all in.

I didn't glue it because I wanted to retain the option to use the wire gear if needed.
The SHP gear has two holes predrilled, and I used 1.5" wood screws up through the gear and into the former to secure it. If you use the predrilled holes and similar length screws, make sure you angle the screws toward the center of the fuselage slightly, so the screws do not hit the carbon stringers running along the gear former.

The axles have a 5/32" shaft, so you will need to bore the factory formed axle hole out a bit. I used a drill bit, and drilled it by hand to avoid snagging and destroying the pants.

As I started assembling the wheel pants, it appeared the axles were too long to allow me to get the wheels inside. I had to pry the pants open a good bit, but they had just enough flex to allow the axle into the hub. I thought sure they would split in half, but luckily, they held.

The little white plastic blocks barely fit around the SHP gear, and since there is an axle stud poking through, you will need to drill the blocks out to 5/32" as well.

The rest of the build was run-of-the-mill, so I'll not bore you with that. Now, go fly the wings off of it!!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2012, 01:43 PM
Got the Slickness
Nice mod job!
Apr 08, 2012, 02:58 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
Thread OP
Thanks, although it proved not as strong as I thought it would be. There is an empty space right behind the gear bulkheads, so I built that area up with wood, and mounted the gear into that.

Quick Reply