ALES Aircraft question. - RC Groups
Apr 05, 2012, 11:15 PM
Discussion

ALES Aircraft question.

It looks like there is a good chance I will be getting an ALES glider soon and I was wondering, as far as club contests goes, would it be better to get a Radian, or the full house Radian Pro? I myself am tending to going with the pro, but don't want to limit what classes I can fly in the contests.

Thanks guys.

Greg Williams
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2012, 01:39 AM
Good for what ALES you
Both the Radian and Radian Pro can fly in the Foamy class, and any plane is welcome to fly in the Open class if the pilot chooses. I have heard that the standard Radian may have a slight advantage over the Pro in terms of soaring, but I would look for direct experience for guidance.
Apr 06, 2012, 09:55 AM
Team Hello Kitty
I own a Pro. The advantage that its flaps give you on landings is huge but the plane's wing loading isn't as good as the plain Radian due to the extra servos. Some RP owners have gone to a lighter battery (850mAh) to get a bit lighter.

One other thing: the plain Radian's wing has more dihedral so it flies more "hands-off" than the RP with its flat wing.

Chris B.
Apr 07, 2012, 02:23 AM
Good for what ALES you
Greg,

We are working to get a number of Radians as club trainers. I don't know if any will be ready in time for tomorrow's contest, but check with us in the morning.
Apr 07, 2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys, those are basicly the answers I was looking for. As to flying today (Sat) I'm stuck doing OT at work... (sniff).
May 20, 2012, 01:48 PM
I have flown the Radian, Radian Pro, and Easy Glider. I would rate the Radian as the best all round soaring glider, next would be the Radian Pro and last the Easy Glider. The Easy Glider and Radian Pro have ailerons so are a not as good as the standard Radian for the new pilot to learn on. I was not impressed with the Easy Glider. Chris is right about the flaps on the Radian Pro being a big help for spot landing in contest flying. I added flaps to my standard Radian to help with contest landings. If you are not flying ALES contests there is really no need for flaps or spoilers. Yesterday I flew my first contest with the flapped Radian and it definately helped me manage the energy on landing.

Steve