Apr 04, 2012, 04:17 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Thread OP
Discussion

JetChopper30 Build.

The "Wet Track Racing" boat works, has taken delivery of the new JetChopper30 hull.
The build has commenced.
First impressions?
Light & strong, but for racing & rough water the hull could do with a bit of re-enforcing for the motor mounts. Glass, Rails, Rods, what ever you usually do.
The hull/deck join is solid, the finish is beautiful & the edges are sharp.
I love the shape of this thing.

Well the first thing I do with any new hull is bag it. I'm terrible for dripping Epoxy or resin all over everything. Worst of all I always get Epoxy fingerprints on everything. So a bit of plastic & tape solves that problem.
Next, where ever something is going to be glued or glassed into the hull, I sand with 240 paper & then wipe down with acetone to remove any wax or grease.

A 1/8" ply transom doubler always goes in my hulls & this one is no different. Once that was glued in, I drilled the holes for the stinger & temporarily mounted it. Then I set the motor & mount & battery & ESC, servo, shaft & prop in place to get positions at 30% COG for motor & battery. I made sure I could alter the COG down to about 28% & up to 34% plus just by moving the battery.

Now that the motor position was set, I could bend the stuffing tube & cut it to length. I get all the angles set on the mount & epoxy it in, with the stinger, shaft, stuffing tube, & collet all in place to keep everything lined up, In the same process the stuffing tube is epoxied into the transom. To support the front of the stuffing tube, I mold some epoxy putty around it & to the hull. Solid.

I decided to use 6mm carbon fibre rods to strengthen the hull, motor mounts, & battery tray for this one. So they were glued in with a liberal amount of epoxy.
At this stage the motor & mount were removed along with the shaft & the rods & side mounts were glassed in with a layer of cloth. A battery tray was cut from a piece of 1/8" ply & epoxied in along with 3 double sided velcro straps to hold the battery in.
The motor & mount were bolted back in & the hull has very little flex in it now.
The stinger I had was too long for this size hull so I lopped 12mm off it. I also drilled out the sloppy bushings & inserted a length of 1/4" brass tube and a speedmaster bushing. I've become a fan of these over a pair of lead teflon bushes. They seem to last longer.

That's it so far. I have to wait for the rudder & tabs to arrive before I can finish it off. All I can do while I'm waiting is make up the safety loop which is compulsory for racing here in Oz.
Here's a few pics of the story so far.

Last edited by 785boats; Apr 05, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
Is life for real?

What the...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats
....Well the first thing I do with any new hull is bag it. I'm terrible for dripping Epoxy or resin all over everything. Worst of all I always get Epoxy fingerprints on everything. So a bit of plastic & tape solves that problem.....
...Now you tell us Great and simple idea Paul thx for sharing Will be watching what you'll be putting in her and how she handles! Eugene
Apr 05, 2012, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
It certainly saves a lot of heartache Eugene. Especially if there are a lot of
graphics or a nice paint job on the hull.
I am going to try a few set ups in this hull for different classes of racing.

Our clubs 'Restricted mono' which is The Aquacraft or Proboat 1500kv motor with the 45A ESC on a single 4s pack weighing under 650g
I'll use the proboat motor, Aquacraft ESC, M645 prop, & Flightmax 5000mah 45C battery.

Our clubs 'Club Spec Mono' which is an Xl 3674 two pole motor with any ESC on the single 4s pack.
I'll use an 8Xl, Hi Model GX200A ESC, X440/3 prop, & same battery.

'EA Mono' which is Any motor, any ESC but still on a single 4s pack.
I'll try my Leopard 4082 2200kv motor Hi Model GX200A ESC& same battery. Not sure on the prop but I'll start with a 442/3 blade & work up from there.

This is all mainly to give Leo a bit of feed back on how his hull performs with different power setups.
Cheers.
Paul.
Apr 05, 2012, 03:17 PM
Nice range of setups. Your Restricted Mono would be what I could run for Limited Spec Offshore, and your EA Mono would be the same as our P-Mono class. I would probably be using the same Leopard 4082 2200kv for P-Mono. Those setup will provide good information for just about anyone looking to build up that hull.
Apr 05, 2012, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
I t should supply some good info. But here in Australia we can't race with parallel packs, so the setups will be slightly different to the ones you guys in the States can use.
I've also got a couple of outrunners that I'm going to play with just for the hell of it.
All the best.
Paul.
Apr 05, 2012, 06:18 PM
I'm interested to see how it handles the bigger motor and higher speeds with the pretty big ride pad, my gut says it doesn't need the extra lift from it.
Apr 05, 2012, 10:54 PM
Thread OP
You are dead right on that & I've already suggested to Leo (on the day I received it) that I might have to get rid of the pad like I have on a few other boats. He's fine with that. I'll see how it goes first.
Still waiting for the rudder & tabs. But I have done the safety loop.
Apr 06, 2012, 03:05 AM
Is life for real?

Safetyloop!

Paul, maybe an idea for the safety loop I don't know if you guys are restricted on the size of the plugs ...and ....this is also the first time I'm using it in the hobbyking rigger I'm building The connector is the XT60 and comes mostly with the HK batteries, my LHS doesn't have them and maybe the females are a better idea than what I've put together HK has them!

Our Mono class is a naviga style, I believe it's not totally up to that standard yet, class. Meaning ...there's no restriction on ESC or motor size, the limitation is on the battery size and cells and hull of course. 300gr on the size and 2 or 3 cells. With that combination you'ld have to navigate 6 minutes in a 30x30x30 triangle or 30x60 oval course with 3, 4 to 5 boats competing, depending on the quantity of boats in that class. What usually comes up is a boat which is between 600 - 750mm in length, using a 36xx motor, turning between 3000 - 4000 Kv's, using a 60a - 120a ESC and turning a 35 - 45mm prop As you can imagine all available hulls are left to the imagination of the owner as what is best ...at times it can be quite exciting how the Mono I races go

Eugene
Last edited by pkboo; Apr 06, 2012 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Size blooper!
Apr 06, 2012, 07:21 AM
The XT-60 plug is a neat idea, but they wouldn't stand up to higher amp power systems, I think they're only reliable up to 60a constant.
Apr 24, 2012, 05:31 AM
Thread OP
Pkboo.
What wparsons said is correct. The system shown in my photo is good for a couple of hundred amps, when needed.
The JC30 is now completed & had it's first runs on Saturday. Results were encouraging The boat was stable & cornered well but was running a bit wet.
I cut about 15mm off the rudder, & played with the tabs & stinger angle to free it up a bit.
I ran it with an 8Xl motor & 440/3 blade prop on 4s.There are a couple of hooks in the hull which may need blueprinting but the ride pad didn't upset the boat. But it might be different with the 4082 2200kv motor.
I'll try the restricted class motor next (the Proboat 1500kv 6 pole motor & 45A ESC).
Here's a few pics.
Last edited by 785boats; Apr 24, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
Apr 24, 2012, 06:32 AM
Thread OP
Also have a bit of video too.

Jet Chopper 30. First test run. (1 min 4 sec)
Apr 24, 2012, 07:13 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Quote:
'EA Mono' which is Any motor, any ESC but still on a single 4s pack.
I'll try my Leopard 4082 2200kv motor Hi Model GX200A ESC& same battery. Not sure on the prop but I'll start with a 442/3 blade & work up from there.
Cheers.
Paul.
Wow, you sure have a lot of restrictions down there Paul. Our P mono is any motor, any esc with a max of 15 volts (nom) 10,000 ma, max 2p for battery and max hull length of 34".

Looks like it runs pretty well on the limited spec setup though. Nice rooster following the boat around the pond.
Last edited by bill34207; Apr 24, 2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: added volt limitation
Apr 24, 2012, 08:05 AM
Thread OP
We sure do Bill. The single pack certainly restricts the prop we can use.
I don't know why that prop was throwing up such a high rooster in that video. It doesn't do it on any of my other hulls. Usually long & flat. Maybe the prop's too deep? Haven't had much time to play with it as we are in the middle of the National titles now & I've been concentrating on the boats I'm running in them.
Here they are.
Apr 24, 2012, 12:16 PM
Is life for real?
Wow, nice and stable... how very interesting for our Mono II class ....hmmm, thx for sharing Dude! Boo
Apr 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Quote:
We sure do Bill. The single pack certainly restricts the prop we can use.
At least it's better than a penalty lap for a buoy cut.
Latest blog entry: Current Health Conditions

Quick Reply