Apr 05, 2012, 11:47 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop
#16 is on his own. Tom probably knows more, but I think the #16 developer had something to do with the #11. I know the #16 developer knows the #11 developer well, but they are competitors - which makes life more interesting for us

It is also very apparent that the #16 developer monitors these threads and has implemented functions that most people want. I'm not sure the #18 developer does the same.

If the 1080, 11 and 18 developer is the same, he's too eager to put his product on the market before it's ready - at least that is so with the 1080. We'll see how the #18 goes and I don't want to speculate. Tom's our man
That's a pretty reasonable description and conclusion!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2012, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Good eye, Isoprop. You are correct... the #18 (and also the revised #1080 which now has AV Out) use an 8 pin plug. I don't know if that is a USB 2.0 standard configuration now or not... I thought USB 2.0 plugs were all 4 or 5 pins.

Anyway, the #18 plug is smaller! I couldn't even see the pins well enough to count them! Suffice it to say, don't connect anything to the #18 other than it's dedicated cables that come with it!

I've attached a close up picture showing the standard USB 5 pin Mini B plug that all the other 808 cameras use, the smaller 8-pin plug the #18 uses, and a true USB 5 pin Micro B plug my cell phone uses, which is the same width as the Mini but only half as thick. Whew!
Thanks for the clarification and the great picture of all three plugs together.

There are plenty of 8-pin mini USB plugs and sockets available on eBay with solder pins, so this is good news. I don't have any yet, but will soon be ordering so I have a stock when and if needed (I doubt with the #18 though). I knew they existed because I always had to be very careful not to order the wrong plug or socket. I doubt if there is a standard, but the extra 4 pins are definitely useful for these cameras.

More "special" cables, just when I thought we've got over all this
Apr 05, 2012, 12:09 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi I,
Is this one OK? http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Mini-U...item2a0cb34ba3
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop
Thanks for the clarification and the great picture of all three plugs together.

There are plenty of 8-pin mini USB plugs and sockets available on eBay with solder pins, so this is good news. I don't have any yet, but will soon be ordering so I have a stock when and if needed (I doubt with the #18 though). I knew they existed because I always had to be very careful not to order the wrong plug or socket. I doubt if there is a standard, but the extra 4 pins are definitely useful for these cameras.

More "special" cables, just when I thought we've got over all this
Apr 05, 2012, 12:15 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Another one!
And this one has A/V out feature.

Now something that would be really great is if the camera could handle A/V input.

If it could...that would be great for FPV recording.
Not recording from the plane but having the video out signal from the video rx able to be recorded on the cameras memory card.
Using the camera as a mini dvr.

Is this possible,i have no idea...sure would be nice if it was.

Ridgewalker
Apr 05, 2012, 12:18 PM
Hi Tom,
Have you tested the real-time lag for the video out yet?
Cheers,
Jim
Apr 05, 2012, 12:20 PM
I can confirm from my sources, that #18 firmware can be loaded into #11, looping work, but not the AV output ofcourse. Is there somewhere firmware file from #18 available?
Apr 05, 2012, 12:24 PM
It will be interesting to see what component they added (D/A converter?) to make video out possible.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokesh
I can confirm from my sources, that #18 firmware can be loaded into #11, looping work, but not the AV output ofcourse. Is there somewhere firmware file from #18 available?
Apr 05, 2012, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins
Yes, those are the ones I was talking about. There are plenty available on eBay, but I haven't found any 90° angled ones yet, but I'm still looking.
Apr 05, 2012, 12:49 PM
Fidler & twidler
Tom + Isoprop
Thanks for clarification on developer/lineage.
Mike
Apr 05, 2012, 12:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker
Another one!
And this one has A/V out feature.

Now something that would be really great is if the camera could handle A/V input.

If it could...that would be great for FPV recording.
Not recording from the plane but having the video out signal from the video rx able to be recorded on the cameras memory card.
Using the camera as a mini dvr.

Is this possible,i have no idea...sure would be nice if it was.

Ridgewalker
You should read the first two posts if you have't already! Is it not enough for the camera to record video (from the plane) as well as provide AV out? Is it other OSD you are wanting to record?
Apr 05, 2012, 12:56 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
It will be interesting to see what component they added (D/A converter?) to make video out possible.
Cheers,
Jim
They didn't have to add any significant other components, I think. I believe the Novatek GPU used in the #18 (and #11 and #16) has AV Out capability built in... it just hasn't been implemented until now.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 05, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Apr 05, 2012, 01:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi Tom,
Have you tested the real-time lag for the video out yet?
Cheers,
Jim
Yes... check out the sample AV Out videos in post #2. Lag is minimal, fraction of a second for sure, but when flying that could be a lifetime!
Apr 05, 2012, 01:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP

Always Check Posts #2 to #5

I'll be updating the first several posts frequently over the coming days. Check them for updates when you come back... several questions have been asked that may have been answered in the new info provided. I'll also add a new post mentoning the additons when I do an update.
Apr 05, 2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks for all Tom!
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Yes... check out the sample AV Out videos in post #2. Lag is minimal, fraction of a second for sure, but when flying that could be a lifetime!
Apr 05, 2012, 07:10 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Quote:
You should read the first two posts if you have't already! Is it not enough for the camera to record video (from the plane) as well as provide AV out? Is it other OSD you are wanting to record?
Tom...this is not my first time in one of your threads..lol...i know to read the first few posts,and have read the first few posts!

What are you trying to tell me.

I know it does not do A/V in.

Reason i mentioned it is if the camera developer is reading maybe it will get them thinking about it....maybe for a future project...maybe it could be added to this camera...no clue...i leave that up to the programmers to figure out.

Quote:
is it not enough for the camera to record video (from the plane) as well as provide AV out
No it's not good enough for me to purchase this camera just because it has A/V out...i have no need for such a feature.
Although i do understand that there may be some out there who do.

My need would be an A/V in with the ability of recording of the A/V in signal for use to record the actual video from the fpv flight camera.

Would mean more sales for the developer if the camera could do that.

Ridgewalker

Quick Reply