Jun 15, 2021, 03:58 AM
That is a lot of helpful info right there Mortimerex, thanks so much! I am leaning towards the M1 now instead of the MPCX BL2. It just looks like a better heli, a lot of people like it and after what you said I believe it would be better. I am going to check out that radio you are using. I might get that radio too. I fly quads also and a lot of people are using that radio with their quads. I believe that most of the prebuilt quads come with a frsky reciever so it would be easier to bind with it. Doesn`t seem like Spekrum and Horizon Hobby`s heli line is as prominent as they once were back when I was flying.
By the way that is a really nice looking M2 you have.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2021, 07:36 AM
It was my first sat receiver installation and I was more worried about the carbon fiber frame blocking most of the radio signals in some orientations so tried to "spread out" the antennaes away from the frame. May not really be necessary, but I get very strong RSSI in all orientations, tho it drops a little in some orientations, but not a lot. It may not really be necessary to spread them out so much and I think 180 degrees separation is more ideal. My M1 with built in SFhss and no visible antennae isn't bothered but it has plastic frame not carbon fiber. I just don't know how much carbon fiber frames block radio signals. Sure it decreases some but have no idea how much. And helis as small as the M1 you keep pretty close anyway.
Jun 15, 2021, 07:46 AM
The only problem I had with my M1 is the connector for the tail motor plug is only held onto the circuit board by like two tiny pins. When you plug/unplug the battery its almost guaranteed it will get bent up away from the board. I worried that if it kept bending it would soon break, possibly in flight. But anyway I just epoxied it down to the board being careful not to "glue in" the tail motor plug -in case I ever have to replace the tail motor.

I fly quads too, but pretty much only micro brushless ones like my toothpick 100, tinyhawk, and tinyhawk2. And kiwi_craig got me to try out the v761 (16" wingspan) micro foamy warbird airplanes and now I fly (and enjoy) them too. All using my T18 Opentx multiprotocol transmitter (they're all pretty good, I just got the Jumper T18). Almost all multiprotocol modules -whether internal or external to the transmitter in the back bay- seem to ship with really outdated firmware, which is separate from the Opentx transmitter firmware. So first thing to do when getting an Opentx transmitter is to update the transmitter firmware and update the multimodule firmware (I update the transmitter Opentx first -which may not be necessary as they keep those more up to date)- to get full functionality. Unlike Spektrum, the Opentx developers frequently update the software (it seems at least once a year) and the multimodule developers also frequently update that firmware also not just doing bug fixes and minor improvements but adding entirely new receiver protocols, like the (native) M1/M2-which you don't really want to use because its so limited-sfhss or anything else is much better, v761, and esky150v2 were relatively recent additions.
Last edited by Mortimerex; Jun 15, 2021 at 08:18 AM.
Jun 15, 2021, 01:15 PM
I went to the flying site today only to find that my transmitter is missing. In fact, I have lost and do not have any idea of how it had happened. This is the 2nd DX8e transmitter I have lost within a year. This has never happened to me before prior to that. I am beginning to worry about my mental state. Since the transmitters are quite battered, I would have expected those who found it to leave it alone. But the transmitter was nowhere to be found.

Fortunately, this is my backup transmitter. My NX8 transmitter is being serviced right now. It will be at least 2 weeks before I will get it back. In the meantime, I will fly my OMP M1 with my XK transmitter.
Jun 15, 2021, 01:29 PM
Regexistentialist
I bought a label maker earlier this year. Put a label with home address and phone # on lots of my stuff, including my transmitters. And especially my keys!

Little late now I guess - sorry for your loss.
Jun 15, 2021, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw
I went to the flying site today only to find that my transmitter is missing. In fact, I have lost and do not have any idea of how it had happened. This is the 2nd DX8e transmitter I have lost within a year. This has never happened to me before prior to that. I am beginning to worry about my mental state. Since the transmitters are quite battered, I would have expected those who found it to leave it alone. But the transmitter was nowhere to be found.

Fortunately, this is my backup transmitter. My NX8 transmitter is being serviced right now. It will be at least 2 weeks before I will get it back. In the meantime, I will fly my OMP M1 with my XK transmitter.

Sorry for your loss (of TX).

Well, maybe it’s an opportunity to give OpenTX a try and see how it works out for you…?

All you need is to find a name branded TX (like Jumper T16/T18 or Radiomaster TX16S) and check with our guys to share a file of your models (150S/M1/M2) to start with. It’s possible you would no longer need your NX8 after understanding OpenTX works!

Per my understanding, at least 2 RCgroupers (navigator and me…and Craig/Mort?) are learning / using OpenTX…and they would probably have a OpenTX file ready to share.

After all, a TX16S/T16/T18 only cost less than half of the speky and at least twice as powerful—— it take some time to learn the language, but it will pay dividends in the long run. In case you really don’t like it, you can sell it for around HKD$1500 (around USD140) plus shipping. Worst case is it’s a total loss of above amount — still less than a DX8e.

Maybe it’s a bit “hard sell”. Just that a decent OpenTX transmitter is too difficult to pass by in terms of value and functionality perspectives.

PS: and don’t take it too seriously about your loss of the TX…we all miss something in life. It may be that something better is waiting for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jun 16, 2021, 12:28 AM
Thanks for your info, I will definitely look into it as my next transmitter. My new NX8 transmitter should be back soon so I am not in a hurry right now.
Jun 16, 2021, 06:13 AM
I still use my dx8g2 for some of my larger helis for the forward programming that is the only practical way to adjust servos and gyro gains. But for my 330cfx and in the future 360cfx and fusion 270, I'm replacing spektrum crap with a BeastX MicroBeast Plus and using a $25 Radiomaster r161 frsky d16 (diversity) 16 channel sat receiver with RSSI(so I can simply and easily operate the retractable landing wheels on my 330cfx/Airwolf 450 build- and to just break away from Spektrum and their expensive 6-9 channel crap transmitters).

Today is so calm, I'm going to devote it to the super micro helis: k100, k110, k123, and maybe mcpxbl2-that I haven't hardly flown this year. And at least 2 batteries with my v761 15" span P51 Mustang -its easier to see than my F4u Corsair (a blue blob in some light and orientations). And probably get out my nano s2 that I've flown more recently. Today is supposed to be so calm and cool -days like it will be exceptionally rare- don't want to do any work at all, just fly helis!

First flights with the k123 were nice as usual, don't know why I don't fly it more often. Yes, I do. Its called the M1 and M2. Flew the k123 in 6g/stability mode for the first time and it was actually good, not overly aggressive or erratic. (The correct Opentx value for stability mode for the k110/123 is channel 5: +50 = 3d, -50 = stability/6g (or the other way if the channel is reversed). I don't know if 6g or 3g is default as I was using a modified Opentx k110 model file setup only for 3d so for me 3d was "default" because of the "mixing" he did to channel 5. Other than that it was almost perfect model setup, that I use for my other xk helis.
Last edited by Mortimerex; Jun 16, 2021 at 11:38 AM.
Jun 16, 2021, 10:26 AM
Beautiful flying day here. Off and on breeze. actually good practice. Lots of fun too. Got six on the 230's and two on the Oxy 4. Tomorrow looks even better.
Jun 16, 2021, 10:55 AM
Just finished flying my v761 15" span P-51. It sure looked sweet flying around with the blade tips painted bright yellow. Wanted to just try expert mode =gyro off, for just a few seconds but the wind picked up a bit (I had to fly over half throttle-to keep from juggling the throttle around- even on real calm days I don't like flying a lot slower than half.) but worse was puffing and constantly rocking the little wings of the P-51 even with the intermediate mode gyro. Hard to believe I've only been flying rc airplanes about two weeks and am thinking about turning the gyro off on a 15" span warbird. I will might crash it, but really all I have to do if I get in trouble is flick a switch and turn the gyro back on.
Jun 16, 2021, 02:35 PM
It was supposed to be calm today. There was some gusts above 10mph. Got a second test flight in after a crash repair on the 270cfx . First test flight showed there was still something not right. Change the spindle also and things are good now. Also made 5 flights with my twin engine airplane.
Jun 16, 2021, 03:13 PM
Heligamist
Really nice day. I decided to dust off one of my Fusion 270's. Still flying just great as always (Spirit FBL/EMax Servos). One of these days I'll change that nicked up main gear. Makes it click every time it goes around.
Jun 16, 2021, 03:23 PM
I made me a bracket to mount a VTX, camera and battery on my 130x. I figured since the winds died down a little today I would see if I could FPV my 130x and fly around the yard like I do my freestyle FPV quads. If I could just hover around a little and get some slow circles in I would move the camera to the nose in the canopy. It only added 12g of weight and after I first installed it I flew it around just to make sure the 130x would be able to carry it. Well it carried it ok so I got ready to try the FPV flight.
well that didn`t turn out as planed. Just hover around and take it easy I said, lol, I took off to hover and I was all over the place, it was taking my whole back yard just to hover, I was reacting to slow. I ended up crashing twice just trying to hover and ended up stripping my main gear. I think I will leave the FPV flying to my quads
Jun 16, 2021, 05:05 PM
Maybe don't try full fpv with the camera but get one of those $100 5" receiver/displays that you can mount just above your transmitter and get a sort of mixed experience or at least be able to glance at the display from time to time. Did that with micro quad (my tinyhawk and tinyhawk2)- which are more stable and kept it close in the yard -it wasn't fpv but still fun.

Going back to flying my M1 and M2 this evening after my dinner settles. And after I look over the fins, canopy "glass" and stuff I just epoxied on my Airwolf 250/m2 scale fuselage. Mine didn't come with guns like my Blade 330cfx/Airwolf 450 body did but I may make some eventually. Doesn't have retractable wheels either.
Jun 17, 2021, 11:15 AM
Flew two 130Xs yesterday.

One 130X (Anglachel) continues to drive me nuts. It was my first 130X, so I am sentimental about it and keep feeding it parts. This helicopter must have some seriously bad juju and I must be seriously stupid to keep fixing her. My children insist that Anglachel is a girl helicopter. She is certainly temperamental enough.

The other 130X (Grond) has always flown well and reliably, and yesterday was no exception, although I noticed that the little plastic spacer in the tail pitch control lever had gone missing and the tail pitch had a ton of slop as a result. I made a new plastic spacer when I got home and it flew even better, tail locked down like prison.

Bonus points for those who recognize the literary references.

Quick Reply