Mar 24, 2018, 03:09 PM

xk k110 vs. fish pond

Finally we have such a fine Spring day perfect for flying that I fly many times in the yard until first lose one k110 in the bushes due to low battery . It was only 20 meters away behind a lemon tree in the bamboo so easy to find yes? also dog is now trained to look for it too. Well 45 minutes later and desperate. How can it just vanish with me watching it go down! If I would have listened to dog at first I would have located it soon as she was sitting right next to it in the hedges bush but I ignored her and searched the bamboo 4 meters farther from the line of sight vector. Nearly always it is closer than expected on the line of sight bearing. But that is the easy part.
Next I fly other k110 with the led lights for low light conditions and dunk in the fish pool. Racing over and reaching in to recover it quickly something goes "clunk splash" which I forget.( Until later). k110 is now been to hair dryer and the compressed air can and rests in front of fireplace dehydrating.

Now 3 .5 hours later I look for my cell phone. Yes, NO!! "Clunk splash" I call the phone and it lights and rings at bottom of the pool. iphone has now been to compressed air can and is in a bowl of rice warming along side of the k110 in front of nice warm fire.
Iphone is getting a little old , 5C ,so perhaps a change is needed will see how all this plays out. sure is a tough phone , dropped many times like k110.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2018, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikroll
Finally we have such a fine Spring day perfect for flying that I fly many times in the yard until first lose one k110 in the bushes due to low battery . It was only 20 meters away behind a lemon tree in the bamboo so easy to find yes? also dog is now trained to look for it too. Well 45 minutes later and desperate. How can it just vanish with me watching it go down! If I would have listened to dog at first I would have located it soon as she was sitting right next to it in the hedges bush but I ignored her and searched the bamboo 4 meters farther from the line of sight vector. Nearly always it is closer than expected on the line of sight bearing. But that is the easy part.
Next I fly other k110 with the led lights for low light conditions and dunk in the fish pool. Racing over and reaching in to recover it quickly something goes "clunk splash" which I forget.( Until later). k110 is now been to hair dryer and the compressed air can and rests in front of fireplace dehydrating.

Now 3 .5 hours later I look for my cell phone. Yes, NO!! "Clunk splash" I call the phone and it lights and rings at bottom of the pool. iphone has now been to compressed air can and is in a bowl of rice warming along side of the k110 in front of nice warm fire.
Iphone is getting a little old , 5C ,so perhaps a change is needed will see how all this plays out. sure is a tough phone , dropped many times like k110.
Loved your story and had me rotflmao. Sorry for your tough day but probably many like me enjoyed your reading your sad but humorous ordeal.
Mar 24, 2018, 05:10 PM
You have to be careful about cell phones and fish ponds.... the Koi especially will rack up internet costs. seems they like to stream music.... (stream.... fish... I know, it's a groaner best I got right now)

I have 3 flights in on my brand new K120, almost done with setup... it is vicious, but flies much like the k110. I lost count of k110 flights today, I do have 3 in on the 130S as well, I need to order the programming cable for it, so I can reduce the tail gain. I get some serious kicks in the wind every once in a while...

nothing on the bigger helis yet, maybe after a bit....
Mar 25, 2018, 08:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikroll

-Boy, that is some story, thanks for sharing. Sometimes, that' s how it goes when we take to the air in flying ships... At least you flew though!:-)

On another note, I just got in from flying a great pack on the B130s in the wind. I have the tail "I" gain set at 85, and the tail held in a 10 mph gusty breeze as well as my FB 450! For such a small ship that just blows me away. Since the temp was only 25 degrees F my eyes started to water, so even though I had another pack charged, I had to call it quits. But what a great way to start the day. Have a great day fellas...
Mar 25, 2018, 08:16 AM
Let's Go Mets!
I took the good old Master CP down to the grass for some lazy circuits and 8s. I love how calm this good old heli can be when you just need to chill for a couple of packs.

I took a break from reassembling the 130s. I've ordered bearings and main gears. So I need to wait til then resume the build.
Mar 25, 2018, 09:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46
I took the good old Master CP down to the grass for some lazy circuits and 8s. I love how calm this good old heli can be when you just need to chill for a couple of packs.

I took a break from reassembling the 130s. I've ordered bearings and main gears. So I need to wait til then resume the build.
-Cool. I'll bet by now, you have enough stick-time on that Master that it feels like an old friend. Hey, good luck with the B130s rebuild. Since you have found that frame crack, I bet when you put it back together it will fly butter smooth.

Years ago, the model I learned to fly on, an Esky CP2, developed a frame crack that led to erratic flying that drove me crazy. I finaly found the crack after I oiled the main bearings, and after flying a pack some of the tri-flow bearing lube had gotten onto the frame and showed the crack. After replacing the frame problem solved...
Mar 25, 2018, 10:16 AM
Let's Go Mets!
Yeah the master is an awesome machine. Probably too slow and heavy for a lot of the fast boys but I love it. I smile when I think back to a couple years ago when I couldn't even lift it off the ground without crashing it! Back then I hated it and thought all the positive reviewers must be lying

As for the B130s thing - well I just hope that the new frame fixes the issues. I'd posted about putting the original blades back on and that helped a lot but it soon went berserk again. Now it makes perfect sense to think of the split in the frame opening and expanding when the rotor dish was under load. That's bound to cause the crazy kangaroo bobbing and shaking.
Mar 25, 2018, 11:44 AM
rossi, it will fix it, the B130s is very picky about vibes and flex.... I had cracked mine and repaired it before my major crash... after I rebuilt it with the new frame it was just like new again (actually better than new, added some upgrade parts)

Be careful about getting the pins lined up on the two frame halves, and use some good 2 sided mounting tape. I glued the tabs in the front where the 2 sides meet, by the forward landing gear mount just for rigidity, and strength. It's probably not necessary but I wanted to try it, and it certainly didn't hurt anything (except maybe if I need to separate the frame in the future)
Last edited by Wayne Moyer; Mar 25, 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Mar 25, 2018, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
rossi, it will fix it...
-Agreed.
Mar 26, 2018, 01:16 AM
Let's Go Mets!
Normally when I have a heli in the 'infirmary' I don't rest until it's fixed. However, this time I've left it sitting in the heli bag for weeks as I just couldn't face another strip-down and detective hunt. The replacement frame was there within two days but it was thrown in the bag as well. I got her rebuilt last night using an old main gear and a couple older, used bearings I had I my spares box. The servos are working and she spins the correct way but it was too late at night to give her any beans. As soon as the new stuff appears we'll be ready to re-maiden.
Mar 26, 2018, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Normally when I have a heli in the 'infirmary' I don't rest until it's fixed. However, this time I've left it sitting in the heli bag for weeks as I just couldn't face another strip-down and detective hunt. The replacement frame was there within two days but it was thrown in the bag as well. I got her rebuilt last night using an old main gear and a couple older, used bearings I had I my spares box. The servos are working and she spins the correct way but it was too late at night to give her any beans. As soon as the new stuff appears we'll be ready to re-maiden.
-Excellent rossi!

It was a good flying day for me. I flew 9 packs on the B130s. Now that I am gaining confidence with the ship, the last few packs I really let her rip :-) It was sunny with a breeze, with temps around 36 degrees F. All in all a solid session...
Mar 26, 2018, 04:05 PM
Let's Go Mets!
Wow 9 packs? Superb bro.
Mar 26, 2018, 05:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Wow 9 packs? Superb bro.
-Yup, 9 packs of sport-flying over the melting snow in the back yard. I haven't flown 9 packs in one session in quite some time. It felt great to get the stick time. Of course that's nothing like some of the fellas here who post wicked cool flight totals...
Mar 27, 2018, 01:03 AM
Let's Go Mets!
I only have 5 packs for the 130s and i've usually run out of things to do by the 5th or crashed her
Mar 27, 2018, 07:14 AM

xk k110, down , MIA

Some days nothing goes right as having just recovered and flown k110 drowned in fish pond along with the telephone I also fly many times the other k110 #2/6 directly into a tree. Repaired and test flying indicates something wrong with tail , so first to change rotor from nmcpx 48m back to a k120 43m and watch her just sail away with the wind. Should have just changed entire tail Assembly. goodby #2/6 ( second k110 fc in body of sixth v977) . Well that makes 4 birds mia lost in field and forest next door. sometimes i find them. By the way the iphone works( so far) except to the camera . not bad for 3.5 hours under water.

Quick Reply