Apr 04, 2012, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
Alert

Sky Bench

Here is the situation at Sky Bench:

I have been shipping Paragons to the guys that were on the waiting list and recent orders. $148.95 plus $16.95 shipping.

Andy Rice will be receiving his OLY ll SX tomorrow along with others that have waited a long time too. I predict this design along with the OLY ll S will be used extensively by the Electric guys in ALES events.
Build them with flaps and catch them in your hand.

Starting yesterday, I am shipping orders that are a week old. In my book, that's current orders. I was hit with a huge Winter build order demand that started in August ( past customers know how this seasonal thing works ), it's the same every year. Curiously, orders for 2 and 3 kits have become much more common.

From my customer's point of view, that is the good
news. From my side of the coin, I need a break. So ... I will ship the orders I have now and the orders I know are on their way and that is it. Shipping will resume April 30th. I have multiple orders for Paragons, Cloud Bound 4, 2M lil Birds, Pierce 970s, Oly ll and OLY llS, OLY ll SX and a Big Bird remaning to ship. This Friday afternoon I'm going to photo the maiden of Richard's beautiful Merlyn over in Ohio. And later, if you see me on the "Charley's Bunion" trail please say hello. I'll be the old white haired guy panting like a dog with a huge smile on my face. Some will know where this Mountain trail is located.

Mail your orders during April for May shipping...

Thanks to all the great Woody builders for keeping the glue bottle on the work bench. It's a great Hobby.

P.S. check out my "Links" page for a new Bird of Time fiberglass fuse and laser cut rib set by George Voss, buy the plans RCM .. the partial kit price is a give away.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2012, 10:23 AM
Duane, LSF IV
Thank you for all your hard work making these fantastic kits available. Enjoy your well-deserved break.
Apr 04, 2012, 01:59 PM
Clever quip goes here!
I haven't checked the Skybench site for a couple of weeks, but am I to understand that Paragon full kits are now available? Oh Glory Day!!!
Apr 04, 2012, 02:12 PM
Your the man Ray only wish there were more like you, can wait for my two kits to arrive. If it wasn't for you there would be alot of empty work bench's
Have a good vacation.

Rich
Apr 04, 2012, 03:56 PM
founder of the SSP
Enjoy a well deserved break Ray. Your kits are absolutely the best out there. You do us all a great service providing them for our enjoyment.
Apr 04, 2012, 06:47 PM
planepainter
My OlyIII is still the jewel of my fleet! Have a good time Ray.

PP
Apr 04, 2012, 10:34 PM
Just finished my Big Bird and I must say it's the best quality kit i have ever built. Can't wait to see it fly!
Apr 05, 2012, 05:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring
I haven't checked the Skybench site for a couple of weeks, but am I to understand that Paragon full kits are now available? Oh Glory Day!!!

Paragon complete Kit .. $148.95

The above kit price will be showing up on the Paragon page as soon as my web master can put it up. Also, he has a picture/text file to put up on the front page directory under "Hand Launch" titled "Wing Construction Tips" that I hope will be helpful to Sky Bench kit builders.

Glad you guys are enjoying my kits and I appreciate the love.... The work schedule keeps me young. Thanks.
Apr 06, 2012, 01:52 PM
≡LSF8067≡
When I saw the thread "Alert Sky Bench", I freaked and thought something might be wrong...scared me there, buddy! Have a great trip, Ray, can't wait to see the Merlyn photos.

Best,
Don
Apr 07, 2012, 09:56 AM
Thread OP

Not to worry Don

Don, Check this pic out, both are e-powered. I also have a pretty good video of the maiden flight that I think Dick will love, from pit area to launch and into the blue. Shows the entire sequence.

Take care ...

PS ... hope to have pics of a new flying site in the mountains next couple of weeks.

This is my first attempt at U-Tube

There should be two videos, First, the assembly of Dick's E powered Merlyn and then the maiden flight. The little sailplane in the background is Dick's electric OLY lll.

Flying site is AREA 51, Powell, Ohio

MVI_4635.MOV,, Maiden flight of E powered Sky Bench Merlyn, April 6, 2012 (2 min 39 sec)

MVI_4646.MOV,,, Maiden flight of Sky Bench e-powered Merlyn #2, April 6, 2012 (2 min 8 sec)

Ray
Last edited by Ray Hayes; May 03, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Apr 09, 2012, 06:54 AM
Thread OP

Posting a couple of observations of Dick Robbins Merlyn

I better do this now as a reminder in case I forget while I'm gone.

Dick's Merlyn seemed to have a higher canopy top than outlined on the plans and I suggested a cross brace inside the fuse between the fuse sides where the wings Leading Edges meet the fuse. This will prevent the wings eventually crushing the fuse at the LE. I'll be sure and do this on my web site build thread.

I have looked at my video of Dick's maiden launch and laugh every time I see the Merlyn dip almost immediately after Don Harris launched it. Dick hit the spoilers .... maybe he did something else too at that moment ... we will never know. I have a video of Dick's second flight,he launched the Merlyn by himself effortlessly. Well done Dick. The videos will appear on my web site in a few weeks.

P.S. That is Dick's OLY lll in the first photo.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Apr 09, 2012, 08:32 AM
≡LSF8067≡
What a beautiful set of matching planes! Looks like you could put the lawn chair atop the Merlyn and go for a cruise .
Apr 09, 2012, 07:22 PM
fa2
fa2

merlyn

i can't see any spoilers on the merlyn - was it built with no landing control?
Apr 09, 2012, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa2
i can't see any spoilers on the merlyn - was it built with no landing control?
Dick is a super builder and Monokote guy, spoilers are there .. each @ five bays long, they show up in my launch video when he opened them at the beginning of the launch.

Ray
Apr 09, 2012, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
What a beautiful set of matching planes! Looks like you could put the lawn chair atop the Merlyn and go for a cruise .
Don,

I think you could be on to something ...

Thursday, I'm going to try a drag a sailplane to this spot. Send the dogs if you don't hear from me in two weeks.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g6...atch.Bald.html

Quick Reply