Chilliwack Spring 2012 - Page 9 - RC Groups
May 28, 2012, 07:52 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanp2
Thanks Kark K for the great videos that show the world our Chilliwack scenery at its best. The model of the Bristol Freighter was built in 2000 for the Canadian Nationals when the electric scale event was held at Chilliwack. It is modeled after one of the fleet of Freighters that was operated in my native New Zealand in the early fifties. Most of their flying was in the form of a shuttle service linking the North and South Islands. Cargo was winched in through the nose from pre loaded pallets and a seven ton payload could be off loaded and reloaded in a matter of minutes.

If your question about a model I flew is the four motor RAF transport plane, it is a Blackburn Beverley. I saw that one flying at the Farnborough Airshow in 1956. It could carry heavy earth moving equipment, and was operated a lot in the Middle East where it could land on improvised desert airstrips. If jeeps needed to be carried, fifteen could be stacked inside in pyramid style.

Keep up the great videos. Ivan
I enjoyed making the videos. The Blackburn Beverly is the one I was curious about. Thanks for the planes to film.
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2012, 10:22 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Parkzone Stryker

I was a little 'handicapped' that day so I didn't get all the movies and photos I usually get, but I'm pretty happy with this shot of someone's Stryker.
May 28, 2012, 11:17 PM
This is my first time coming to the Spring event. I had a great time flying the Bristol Freighter and met its builder Ivan as well as meeting many fellow flyers.

Karl, very nice video.

Ellis
May 29, 2012, 12:55 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayuse
I was a little 'handicapped' that day so I didn't get all the movies and photos I usually get, but I'm pretty happy with this shot of someone's Stryker.
If that's the one that got slightly too familiar with the ground later on, it's mine.
I was enjoying the lowest passes I could.
May 29, 2012, 01:15 PM

Blackburn Beverley & Bristol Freighter

A couple of photos of the Blackburn Beverley and Bristol Freighter together.
May 30, 2012, 10:48 AM
Foibles of an RC Event Newbie and the "Other Chilliwack RC event:

OK, time for an epilogue to the story of eBuilder's pilgrimage to Chilliwack. This little story is dedicated to all of those that experienced some sort of mishap, grounding you for the rest of the event.

...Saturday morning had me out there at 7 am, flying the little micro SBach. What a beautiful calm morning at an amazing site. After the months of anticipation, what a relief to have finally arrived. This is the only RC event that I have been able to attend and only the second time as a flyer. It's an amazing smorgasbord of modelling and flying talent. At 8:30 am it was off to the pond. Even though I only own ARF's, it was simply great to fly my styrofoam foamie in among some gorgeous scratch built beauties. With bro on the buddy box, we carved up the sky. At 12 pm, it was back to the main site.

That's when being a newbie at RC events started to show. OK, I had checked all of my airplanes twice, packed them into boxes, re-soldered all electrical connections, pieced together an emergency field repair kit, arranged time off work to be there, driven an entire day, had friends and family come along to watch, ensured I had valid MAAC membership, etc...when, all at once, I was missing the key ingredient to continue flying: My MAAC membership card! Doh...I hadn't thought to bring it! Are my teenagers really right? Does their dad really know nothing? I tried my best: "Is it OK if I provide proof of membership after the event?", "What if I can find my membership # somehow, so that insurance can be verified? and finally, "I came all the way from Nelson." Well, I learned fast that I need to bring my membership card to all events and that proof of membership was required before flying. Giving my word on it and proving it later wasn't going to do it. The boys were polite and empathetic, but firm. To their credit the event was definitely more organized than previous. Last year, our Pres. just stood up and asked everyone if they had their MAAC membership, explained a few rules and then encouraged everyone to have fun.

Anyway, how to save the day? This is where things got fun again. There are an endless amount of schools in the Lower Mainland - deserted schools, often with paved runways. One of them wasn't too hard to find and away we went - eBuilder's own little Chilliwack RC show with everyone taking time on the Buddy box. I had a blast flying to my heart's content but missed getting to know all of you better. I'm looking forward to coming again next year and giving it another shot. Of course, nothing is guaranteed: All of us know that it just takes one little error and our RC contraptions are no longer flying. Stay tuned for next year's misadventures of an RC event newbie!

eBuilder
May 30, 2012, 11:51 AM
Team Tracon!
Yikes!

You should have just gone to the maac site and printed out your account info!

We could have helped you with that!

I didn't know you had an issue ???

Sam
May 31, 2012, 07:38 PM
Sam, thanks for the kind offer. I may well need your help next year.
Grejen's post was a bit of an inspiration for mine: You never know when your plane will crash.

I've already got an OK from the family to go for more than one day next year. That takes the pressure off and will make dealing with any problems a lot easier. Bringing along a large entourage that wanted to see my planes fly didn't help either. In this case, I was already entertaining them at the "Other Chilliwack RC Event" by the time I was able to get someone in Nelson to find my MAAC card. It all worked out pretty well and just left a bigger appetite for next year.
Jun 01, 2012, 02:58 PM
I'd just like to say a big thanks to everyone connected with the event for making it so enjoyable and worthwhile. I did more flying packed into the days I was at Chilliwack than ever before, and the very positive athmosphere (as well as all the banter) was just so much fun.

My models are still flying at the Comox Club field and Frank has some video I'm sure he will share showing that I still have not quite mastered the art of smooth landings. In his defence I can only say that the tree at his lovely new pond was definitely moving when it caught the wing of his Twin Otter.

Thanks again everybody, and now we have Beverly's pictures to look forward to!

Mike (on Frank's computer)
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Jun 02, 2012 at 12:10 AM.
Jun 01, 2012, 05:31 PM
Mr. Tracon's better half
Well, since the pressure is on, here is a teaser picture.

We just finished sorting through 34 gb of images, so it will still be a bit more work until they are ready to post.

We will let you know when we have them up on our website, www.teamtracon.com

Just so there's no confusion, the last pictures on our website are actually from 2011. We're a little behind in posting our events.

Thanks again to everyone at the Fraser Valley RC Flyers club for putting on a fantastic event! We had a great time!

Hey, Mike...next time can you get the pilots to turn their heads for the camera?

Beverly
Jun 03, 2012, 11:45 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Great shot Mrs Tracon! Amazing airplane Mike!
Even though I was there I can't wait to see more.
Jun 04, 2012, 03:22 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Thanks to the host club for putting on such a nice event!

I just noticed that the MAAC web site shows the fall event happening on the 17th instead of the 24th like usual. Is this correct?

Cheers!
Glen
Jun 04, 2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeden
Thanks to the host club for putting on such a nice event!

I just noticed that the MAAC web site shows the fall event happening on the 17th instead of the 24th like usual. Is this correct?

Cheers!
Glen
Glen:
I have asked just to double check; however the date from the club e-mail does indicate the 17th.
Rick.

P.S.
recived conformation it is the 17th
Last edited by RiBell; Jun 04, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Jun 08, 2012, 10:24 AM

Sunday at the Pond and Field

It was nice to see many of you again. I've finally edited the video I shot. You can link to it here.
ChwkSpr12.mov (13 min 18 sec)

Lar
Jun 08, 2012, 02:18 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thanks Team Tracon, and Larry for the video - I had not expected the "interview" to make it past the cutting room! Just to whet your appetite for more of Beverly's pictures, here is my version of the traditional line-up at the Pond. I make it 15 models, 9 pilots and Cassie the dog.

A great event, thank you all again,

Mike