Jun 14, 2012, 06:29 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
I have to admit I gorged on the slideshows of all three days and it was just like being there!

Thanks Beverly and Sam,

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2012, 07:26 AM
Student of Ivan
Thank you Beverley for taking such perfect photos (as usual)! It is appreciated.

Saw a couple of pics that made me gasp such as Rick's B-25 and the Martin Baker crash. Who was the builder of this beautiful but unfortunate MB5?

Nice Buffalo DC3 btw Sam. I enjoy "Ice Pilots" when it's on here in the states.

John
Jun 14, 2012, 01:29 PM
Ken Stuhr

Mb5

That wuz me

Ken S.
Jun 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Hi Beverly,

Wow, really nice photos! And now I know that I really must practice smiling when I hand-launch my gliders

Cheers!
Glen
Jun 14, 2012, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman2442
Saw a couple of pics that made me gasp such as Rick's B-25
I got a message from someone else that had the same B-25. He just about ended up in the same condition as me. From looking at the pictures of mine in flight and what happened to the other one I fell that I might have the same issue as he had. The wing might be warped as both airplanes rolled hard to the left. He was able to save his I wasn't. Top Flite got back to me and said that If I send them my wing for inspection and they agree that it is warped they will replace it. Mind you it's kinda hard to do after it's all busted up from the crash. After looking at the damage it looks a lot worse than it is. Probably about the same as your Aiglet.
Rick
Jun 14, 2012, 03:04 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Hi Rick,

Hard as this may seem, I don't think that the plane was at fault

You taxied up to the upwind end of the strip and turned downwind. We thought that you would taxi back to your feet, then turn and take off upwind. But you accelerated very quickly and took off downwind. You had plenty of speed for an normal take-off but not sufficient for a downwind one, and as soon as the plane got above the ground effect and the apparent wind increased, the plane stalled. In the photos you can see that you have full right aileron but I think not enough airspeed for them to function.

You must have felt and I was very impressed that you carried on flying - I'd have gone home!

Very best wishes, and I hope the B25 flies again.
Jun 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
Mike:
Yes it is very possible that It was my fault and it stalled. And that the picture sequence that Beverly took was as it was pitching nose down after it stalled. The one thing that still kinda bugs be was there was a little bit of a funny noise that I can’t figure out what might have caused it. The only part that has significant damage is the left hand inboard wing panel. It’s been mostly C/A’d back together. Now that I have a set of new wing tubes; I can get the last of it back together, and have the wing tubes line up. The other thing that I sorta didn’t like was the constant wrinkles in the Monokote. so maybe it’s going to get the covering removed and get a paint job.
Rick
Jun 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
Complete the Illusion!
Rick, sorry to see the B25 in a sad state, Beverly's picture certainly shows it tail down in a not very recoverable position, but pleased its on the mend. Now if you need the paint codes for latex!!
Jun 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
Student of Ivan
Rick, I agree with Mike that does say a lot about your attitude to carry on flying after crashing such a nice plane. And it nice to have friends like Mike who will tell you their honest opinion when needed...glad to see it will be rebuilt. Perhaps in lightweight "Doolittle Raider" scheme?

Ken, Sorry to see the loss of such a beautiful plane. And with counter rotating props no less. Hope there are plans to rebuild.

Anyone know who had the other Sealand at the pond? I recognized Ivan's and Hal's but not the white blue one. Nice job whoevers it is.

John
Jun 14, 2012, 04:53 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Quote:
Anyone know who had the other Sealand at the pond? I recognized Ivan's and Hal's but not the white blue one. Nice job whoevers it is.

John
That was Dan Idorn's Sealand. It was just wonderful to see so many faces that I had met last time, or read about in the intervening months. Can I make the trip again? Not for a while, but maybe one day!

Mike
Jun 14, 2012, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Rick, I agree with Mike that does say a lot about your attitude to carry on flying after crashing such a nice plane. And it nice to have friends like Mike who will tell you their honest opinion when needed...glad to see it will be rebuilt. Perhaps in lightweight "Doolittle Raider" scheme?John
John:
I can say the same about you after having someone crash into your parked airplane and then having the other one stepped on.
We have to accept that if we want to fly model airplanes; we will crash from time to time. One thing that I really don't like is having to flip a 20 lb+ airplane over on it's back to install batteries. With the damaged wing I can see a new solution to battery installation without compromising any structural strength and be able to put the batteries in from above the nacelle. The left hand inboard wing panel is just about completely repaired. I just started putting the broken and splintered bits together like a jigsaw puzzle the fibreglass tube are even lining up with the ones in the fuselage. Once the bits are all back in place; it'll need a couple of balsa patches for the missing sheeting. Then some 0.7 oz cloth on the inboard panels to put back any strength lost due to the splits in the sheeting. Going to stick with the same scheme. No need to repaint the cowls.
Rick
Jun 15, 2012, 02:48 AM
Rick, glad to hear the B-25 is on the operating table. I always think it is good if you can make a few changes and improvements during such a major repair, such as the hatch provision etc. At least then you feel that you have made some net progress after all the effort rather than just put in lots of hours only to end up with something not as good as it was before.

I guess though that this means that the DH88 has slipped a little further down the queue. . .

I'm also enjoying the pics Beverly - I'm sort of attending the event by proxy, viewing one day's pictures per day!

Trevor
Jun 15, 2012, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracon
Hi Everyone!

Who's going to Chilliwack this year ???

May 25,26,27 2012

I was there. Where were you all guys.?
Jun 15, 2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh
Rick, glad to hear the B-25 is on the operating table. I always think it is good if you can make a few changes and improvements during such a major repair, such as the hatch provision etc. At least then you feel that you have made some net progress after all the effort rather than just put in lots of hours only to end up with something not as good as it was before.

I guess though that this means that the DH88 has slipped a little further down the queue. . .

I'm also enjoying the pics Beverly - I'm sort of attending the event by proxy, viewing one day's pictures per day!

Trevor
A couple of pictures of the wing panel that is in surgery. With a set of replacement wing tubes to endure that the wing tube sockets are correctly aligned.

The DH-88 and the Super Cub (IKON N'WST kit) are tied for next after the P-38. The Cub is built just needs covering and all the finishing work that is 90% of the work once the airplane is 90% built. The B-25 repairs have only been a couple of hours
Jun 15, 2012, 10:15 AM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell
The DH-88 and the Super Cub (IKON N'WST kit) are tied for next after the P-38. The Cub is built just needs covering and all the finishing work that is 90% of the work once the airplane is 90% built.
That's a kit I've considered many times. If I ever build one, I'm afraid I'd put my now 30+ year old Quadra 35 in it, for nostalgia's sake.