Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by navrog

best GWS plane for newbie

Hi guys
As I say I am a newbie, I fly slope glider (still learning) but would like to have a go at electric park flyers.
Which plane would you recommand to start with?
I must admit I just love the TM, but I suppose the SS or the starter would not be bad either.
Can I have your opignion?
How does these planes fly in a bit of wind? I live in south UK and no wind days are rare...
Could these handle 10mph of wind?
I notice as well on GWS website that you can get different motors: IPS or 280 (for the TM)?
What difference and which one to go for?
Thanks for your help
A future GWS addict...
Mikael
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by headless
Does anyone hear a cat?
e-starter can handle 10mph winds, though flying into it will be pretty slow -- tm would not, slow stick would be hard pressed and would get blown around ALOT

I'd get an e-starter if you have previous R/C experience. It's a good trainer and can do some basic aerobatics with a decent motor. Don't get IPS system or 280 speed motors... they are not going to work outside in any wind. The new e-starters come with a gws 350c motor. That motor with the GWS 8 cell 9.6.v 730mAh NimH packs will fly it pretty well... i can do loops, rolls, fly around inverted, etc. even in 5mph-10mph winds (just gotta be careful )
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by pda4you
The slow stick is the best starter plane IMHO. It will get bounced a bit by 10mph winds. Get some training help and you will learn in no time and be able to pick a second airplane for windy days.

Mike
Old Oct 24, 2003, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by rdeis
AMA 353531
Coming from slope soaring you can skip the newbie planes that don't handle wind.

If you can handle a slope ship in variable winds then you can handle an "aileron trainer" just fine. You *might* be fine skipping to warbirds, but that depends on how good a slope pilot you've become. They are fast and maneuverable- but no more so than a good aileron sloper and you'll be flying them in (relatively) calm air so they won't bounce around so much.

I've only been doing the park flier thing for a short time, but I've flown slope and thermal, and the reflexes and eyes-on-the-plane you have to develop for good slope soaring (especially when wind is plentiful and turbulent) are far more demanding than my park flyers.

Learning aerobatics is a whole nother skill set, but slope experience will have you prepared for keeping the airplane aloft and alive.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
dont fly a mustang
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by Scratch
Navrog

Try the Watt Age Hawk. A little e powered glider that will flat scoot
when you want it too. I have one and it is very responsive yet can be mellow at low throttle settings. I just have Al and El to keep the weight down. Start with no more than 3/16" up and down on the Al.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by msquared
E-starter. marvelous plane. flys well, fun, easy to fix, fun, looks good, has some room for growth (you wont be borred in 4 weeks).