This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 02, 2012, 07:11 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

backyard and park models: what really are they?

what really are backyard models?and park models? when i came back to modelling in 2006 i was shocked with the new technology, and i subscribed to all magazines and began pestering all the editors with questions, among them these. to my surprise, the answers i got were not conclusive.
what i have learned is: 1st, the words used to define a backyard. what is a backyard? what size? usually launching (or taking-off) from your driveway and then flying on the street is considered backyard flying. or if your backyard is really large enough to allow planes like the horizon's ultra-micros fly without hitting something. perhaps about the size of a gym could qualify as the size of a backyard.
then park flyers. what size models can fly in a park? meaning, a baseball park. i think that was the original concept of the word 'park'. the models i consider 'park size' are about 24 to 40" wingspan. but about all, lightweight models that fly slow (like trainers, high wing). very much like my planes: talisman (24"ws, 140gr auw); tramontano (30"ws, 240 gr auw). anyway, that's my perception of the issue. regards
Last edited by phil alvirez; Apr 02, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2012, 07:55 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
The AMA Park Pilot scheme offers some insight:

Q: What type aircraft may Park Pilot members fly?

A: Aircraft are limited to 2 pounds in weight and speeds of less than 60 mph. The quiet, slow-flying park flyer aircraft allow them to fly in areas in which traditional-style models are not allowed to fly. This opens up the possibility of new fields in both outdoor and indoor venues.
Apr 02, 2012, 08:28 AM
Thread OP

2# and 60mph max?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
The AMA Park Pilot scheme offers some insight:

Q: What type aircraft may Park Pilot members fly?

A: Aircraft are limited to 2 pounds in weight and speeds of less than 60 mph. The quiet, slow-flying park flyer aircraft allow them to fly in areas in which traditional-style models are not allowed to fly. This opens up the possibility of new fields in both outdoor and indoor venues.
thank you sir for the input. but, are those specs for a 'quiet, slow flying plane'?
the planes that i consider 'park' flyers-my park flyers-are like this: 30" ws, 240 gr auw (my tramontano-see at my blog). the largest i could think of flying at a baseball park size without poles is my 48" Elf, 360 gr auw.
see the difference in wing loading?
2 pounds and under 60 mph are, to me, way too heavy and fast for a park. perhaps is my many years of being into free flight that makes me see things this way-but i think it's much more fun.
but, anyway, thanks for the data.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Apr 02, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Apr 02, 2012, 04:03 PM
I would agree that the above specifications are on the high side, and could be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands.
My preference is for planes of around 1M span with the lightest wing-loading possible for a rigid and reliable air-frame.
The 'reliable' bit is very important. While you have control you can fly safely. Break something in flight, and someone could be hurt.
Noise is also important to me. We lost a great field because a guy flew a VERY NOISY model there at 5am. The resulting complaints (by one woman) lost us the park.
Even a quiet plane can set the dogs barking early in the morning. The dogs make much more noise than the model, but it's the flyer who gets the blame.
Apr 02, 2012, 04:28 PM
Thread OP

noise

my backyard and park planes are electrics, for all the reasons. but perhaps the most important is that i can fly at places where noise would not allow. another is that at our local club they let me fly at any time. gas models start at 9am, but i am flying at dawn. no noise-no complains from neighbours. and also more often there is no wind at that time. heaven! and electrics, with the new technology of lithium, brushless, outrunners, are lighter-and cheaper, too.
for backyard, there is 1 here at the back of the apartments building where i live, so i just walk a few steps and am taking-off from paved runway-and landing too. for park, there is a park at 7 minutes (and 7 kms) from my place, so there i fly whatever. my only complain is the weather, when it is windy.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Apr 02, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Apr 02, 2012, 05:30 PM
The VERY NOISY plane was electric. But on 10 cells with a little prop doing 57 gigazillion revs it sure made itself heard.
Most EDF units are too loud for my taste as well.
Apr 02, 2012, 06:09 PM
Thread OP

noise

i use single 160mah cells on my ultra-micros, and 2 cells of no more than 360 mah on my parks. geared. quiet. that sure makes a difference.

Quick Reply