Apr 01, 2012, 04:24 PM
treefinder
Build Log

One Sheeter #10 sortof..... OneSheetSeaBee

This started out to be OneSheeter #10, the OSS, and I made up a cut sheet to fit a dollar store 20x30" foam sheet. However, as I got into it, I discovered that I needed another part here, and another part there, so it had grown to take almost a full 24x48" sheet, and i haven't yet gone back and tried to organize all the bits to see how small I can get the package. But this morning I maidened the prototype, so I think I can start telling the story.

for probably 15 years, our local Romeo Airport had a pair of amphibs sitting in the storage pad right off the main road. I had no idea what they were, and at the time wasn't really geeked about planes (hadn't recaught the rc bug), so they were just old wierd looking wrecks to me. Then retirement, RCGroups and Foamies came along, and I discovered what they were: a pair of Republic SeaBees. Now they're gone, but I got intrigued about how such an odd looking plane came to be and how it flys. After pondering 3Views and pics on the web, i figured it might be an interesting onesheeter, based on the unwrapping of the slab sides into a template. So, here goes:

First, the maiden: She's not quite done yet, Canopy is taped on, and no decorations, but enough to see if she'll even fly. Out this morning before the wind came up (maybe 4-5mph) and gentle shoulder high toss into the tall grass. not bad, but a nose down (nose heavy). Another toss a bit harder = longer straight glide. Quarter throttle toss= extended glide but no nose up or down tendencies. Bit more throttle toss and she's flying. Controls nicely responsive for gentle flight, nice climb with more throttle. Putter around some. I find that she wants to flat turn, switch to high rates. That solved that problem. Ran a full pack through her. Now it's time to finish and seal up for flights off the pond.
Update: got water time and flight time on vid:
SeaBee water tests (2 min 21 sec)

SeaBee Success! (2 min 57 sec)
Last edited by springer; Oct 09, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2012, 04:34 PM
treefinder

Specs and plan sheets

Here are the specs:
Wingspan: 35"
OAL: 24"
OAW: 9.2oz (currently, she'll add some as canopy and paint finished)
material: This happens to be made from the foam in the sample box that started Model Plane Foam. It was DS foam without paper, nominal 3/16" but came in at the same weight per sheet as FFF, so higher density, but nice to work with.
Motor: 24gm BluWonder 1700kv
ESC: 15amp
Prop: 7x6 cut down to 6.5"
Battery: 2s 850 mah Nanotech
Servos: 2 Hextronix 5gm (rudder, elevator)

Plan sheets for the original using Readiboard, which came out to about one and a quarter sheets (bummer! couldn't kep it on a single sheet at original size) and for fff MPF(of course) at 24x48 sheet size.

MPF size fits on a single sheet and has a span of 43.25", chord of 5 5/8" and overall length of 29 3/8". Should be a real floater if built light.

Note: at this point, i haven't built the larger size, so there may need to be adjustments made....

6/7/12 update: added the numbered templates jpg file and a text file with part names and associated numbers.
Last edited by springer; Jun 07, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Apr 01, 2012, 06:36 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Whoa !!! That’s COOL !!!
Apr 01, 2012, 06:47 PM
low tech high tech
Extreme cool.
Apr 01, 2012, 07:08 PM
Nice!!! great project! Looking forward to learn how you seal up the hull! Subscribed!!!!
Apr 01, 2012, 07:28 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Excellent! Another master work.
I thought it would be nice, but it's much nicer than I thought.
Apr 01, 2012, 07:40 PM
treefinder
Thanks guys. I think she's gonna be a fun flyer, we'll see how she does on the water, hopefully tomorrow. But I'm afraid as a one sheeter, she'll be like the OST Beech, and only one will be built. Too complicated and limited interest planes, but a fun challenge to noodle out.
Apr 01, 2012, 07:59 PM
treefinder
Figured I should finish up the build pics (just in case...) So here is the wing. The basic wing is just a KFM5a undercambered with bottom step. It has poplar dowel leading edge and after step spars, and a double thick center section that makes an interlock with the aft fuse compartment rim. The engine mount and cover are cylinders with the nose portion being multi layer laminations and sanded to shape. Motor mount is 1/8" ply with a slot to direct the motor wires down into the fuse. There's a few degrees of up thrust (aft end of motor shaft raised) built into the mount and based on today's flight it's about enough. The tip floats are multilayer foam with a part of a popsicle stick imbedded, hanging on a pair of sticks laminated together. I may add the strut the real plane has although with the KFM wing, it doesn't seem required. (we'll see after the water test). You can see the ply tab that fits in the slot mentioned earlier.
Apr 01, 2012, 08:15 PM
low tech high tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Thanks guys. I think she's gonna be a fun flyer, we'll see how she does on the water, hopefully tomorrow. But I'm afraid as a one sheeter, she'll be like the OST Beech, and only one will be built. Too complicated and limited interest planes, but a fun challenge to noodle out.
Yeah well Springer, I might build your Beech, I've been keeping that in the back of my mind ever since I saw it.

And this one too is gonna be high in that interest list. So don't be sure they are not ever going to have relatives in Vermont at least!
Apr 01, 2012, 08:20 PM
treefinder
Ha! I'd love to see 'em!
Apr 01, 2012, 08:33 PM
treefinder
Last pics, she's all gussied up and ready for tomorrow with her cute yellow prop!