This thread is privately moderated by flyinjrc74, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 31, 2012, 08:30 PM
Trader Rating: 471
Fabrication Extraordinaire!
Thread OP
Wanted

Info on this OS 5 cylinder radial igniter. Engine will be for sale this weekend!

I have this glow driver that runs my OS 300 5 cylinder radial. It works fine with 72 mhz but doesn't when I use a 2.4G receiver. Can anyone recommend a newer version of this glow ignitor to use with 2.4G?

Feel free to post a link or picture as reference and thanks in advance!!!

I am also looking for a exhaust collector for this same engine!!!
Last edited by flyinjrc74; Apr 04, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2012, 08:40 PM
Trader Rating: 24
Here is what we used on all of our planes.

http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...cat=308&page=1
Mar 31, 2012, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimhoff43
Here is what we used on all of our planes.

http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...cat=308&page=1
Thanks for providing the link. I can not seem to figure out the difference and why it does not work right using a 2.4G rx... I will look into the one in the link, by the way do you know of a place that just sells the ignitor module? I was hoping to just change out the ignitor box itself!
Mar 31, 2012, 09:25 PM
Trader Rating: 63
I suspect that is is either the refresh rate being used with the servos or the servos are running off a lower voltage pulse signal from the RX. Some newer RC systems allow one to set the pulse rate much faster than normal. The older RX's used a 5 volt level pulse and the newer RX's put out 3.3v pulses. The unit may be sensitive to that. You can try a signal booster like they use for longer extension cables. The other thought is some older radios used negative versus positive pulses for the servos too. RC systems like Pro-Line were negative pulses whereas most everyone else was positive pulses.

There are several servo extensions with a amplifier to boost the pulse signal on them. You can get one and shorten it as needed, if it works for you.
http://www.e-clec-tech.com/seboex2.html
Apr 01, 2012, 07:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
I suspect that is is either the refresh rate being used with the servos or the servos are running off a lower voltage pulse signal from the RX. Some newer RC systems allow one to set the pulse rate much faster than normal. The older RX's used a 5 volt level pulse and the newer RX's put out 3.3v pulses. The unit may be sensitive to that. You can try a signal booster like they use for longer extension cables. The other thought is some older radios used negative versus positive pulses for the servos too. RC systems like Pro-Line were negative pulses whereas most everyone else was positive pulses.

There are several servo extensions with a amplifier to boost the pulse signal on them. You can get one and shorten it as needed, if it works for you.
http://www.e-clec-tech.com/seboex2.html
I think from what you have said this may be the more inexpensive route and sounds exactly like what is happening.

Since the throttle servo wire and the wire from the igniter are wired together before going into the receiver, should I put the booster between the throttle servo and rx or between the y harness lead and the wire that goes back to the igniter?

I double checked last night by going back to a JR PCM 72mhz what was originally in it and again it lights perfectly.

Could having the servos in the tail of my 84" Concept Models Fleet Bipe be leading to the problem?

I then reinstalled the 2.4 Spektrum AR6210 DSMX rx into the plane. I unplugged the elevator and rudder servos and the igniter stops working altogether unless I switch the ignitor box to reverse, then the plugs stay on and will not stop lighting them even when I move the screw to adjust the end point in the igniter box??? I can turn that screw one direction to the other and in reverse the plugs stay lit...
Apr 02, 2012, 09:57 AM
Trader Rating: 156
Earlwb may be on the right track as for refresh rate, but IMO that should really only come into effect if working with newer digital servos. The resolution of the Tx signal, (eg 1048) should only count with how accurately the system reads stick position.

I'm a bit confused why it will not work with the newer radio system. The signals outbound to the servos should be set up so that unless a newer type servos with different bandwidth are used the systems should be interchangeable. This should allow swapping receivers and require only Tx reprogramming as to direction, travel and/or mixing.

One thing you can check for function would be to plug a spare servo into the throttle channel on one receiver, then swap it over to the new system and compare what happens with the servo. The direction and amount of travel may be the culprit.

Another option if you have a spare channel output on the new system and the capability of mixing is to place the igniter on that channel alone and mix the output to the throttle. This way you can set throttle servo amount separately, then work with the second channel to have the igniter come on when required. If both tied together pulls down the signal strength to the point the igniter will not work this may help.
Apr 02, 2012, 11:11 AM
Trader Rating: 63
Old servos used 5v pulses and the newer servos use a 3v or 3.3v pulses. The RX's today use a 3 volt regulator to drop the voltage down for them to use. The newer servos all use the lower voltage pulses even if they have a higher power voltage. So the device is probably sensitive to that and it can't see the lower voltage pulses of the modern RX's.
Apr 02, 2012, 11:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
Old servos used 5v pulses and the newer servos use a 3v or 3.3v pulses. The RX's today use a 3 volt regulator to drop the voltage down for them to use. The newer servos all use the lower voltage pulses even if they have a higher power voltage. So the device is probably sensitive to that and it can't see the lower voltage pulses of the modern RX's.
I put a Futaba 72mhz FM back in it tonight and it works as it should! I think you are right, I have a electronics professor that I fly with from a small well known college stopping over tomorrow to advise. I will post what he comes up with just in case someone else has this same situation...

Thanks to all that responded to help me out here.
Apr 04, 2012, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
I was switching it to 2.4G to fly it one last time before selling the airframe. I decided since I wanted to fly it and the igniter operates perfect on 72mhz that is what I am using to fly it.

The radial OS 300 four stroke will be available to purchase from me. I will be listing it over Easter weekend after I post the videos I have of it running.

It has approx. 22 flights on it since new and no carbon on pistons and all is super smooth. Very excellent running engine to anyone that is in the market for one.

PM me if you may be interested and I will entertain any offers in he meantime for the engine with the items below included.

Used five cylinder OS 300 Radial 4 stroke engine. Swings a 19-22" prop!
World engines glow ignitor to operate each plug individually and it is adjustable! It comes with a five light indicator to show that all plugs are lit and burning fuel.
Radial engine mount.
2.4V 10,000 maH ni-Mh battery with charge lead for plugging it into any smart charger
Last edited by flyinjrc74; Apr 04, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Apr 09, 2012, 11:10 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all your help guys! Engine is for sale in another thread~

OS FR 5 300 Sirius Five Cylinder Radial Engine For-Sale! Video #1 Serial# 653/37000 (3 min 0 sec)

OS FR 5 300 Sirius Five Cylinder Radial Engine For-Sale! Video #2 Serial# 653/37000 (2 min 58 sec)

Quick Reply