Mar 31, 2012, 04:39 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

My First build..

Hello, im building a quad. This is my first time building anything that flies, but i do enjoy a good challenge. i have flown rtf quads for a while now and wanted to step up my game. I also plan to put a simple FPV system on it as well ...

Specs:

-Free Flight FF Auto Balance Controller with 3D Acceleration Sensor
-Flying Robot x550 frame
-4x Exceed Proton 30a esc
-4x Ycopter 2212 Brushless Motor 1000KV ( lost in the mail )
- 8 way power distribution board (i went with a board instead of a wire harness because i thought it would be easier to connect led's and cam / vtx)
-1047 slow fly counter rotating props

I plan on using a Sky Lipo 4000mAh 11.1V 20c

FPV system:

Fat Shark 5.8Ghz predators

stock antennas as of now until i find time to make some..

2 axial Aerial Stablized PTZ
(I put the stock skids on top so i could have more room for vtx and maybe an osd )

2x 9g servos

If there is any flaws in my plans please do let me know. i would greatly appreciate it.
Last edited by ddoltar; Apr 09, 2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Update pictures
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2012, 06:14 PM
Thread OP
as far as the motors go, i live in a windy area.. so i need to be able to have enough power... any suggestions?
Apr 08, 2012, 04:24 PM
Thread OP

Pics

Pictures soon to come
Apr 09, 2012, 05:43 AM
Firepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoltar
Pictures soon to come
Pics will be good. Is this any good?

http://www.xheli.com/09h013-ptz.html

I just ordered some $9 feet but this looks better. So it has something to hold a camera with two servos?
Apr 09, 2012, 06:07 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi,
You list looks OK. I recommend that you get a spare motor, ESC and many extra props. Your AUW with the FPV gear will be getting over 1kg, so be careful with your prop choice. I recommend APC1047s because they never break in flight as the EPPs will do on heavier multicopters. Consider a higher c-rated lipo like the Nano brand in the 4400-5K mah range down the road too if you are planning to use this mainly for AVP.

BTW The FF FCB is $37 incl ship here: http://www.sunsky-online.com/view/24...f.y1kX212gb83w

Good luck with your build and fly safe!
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Apr 09, 2012, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower
Pics will be good. Is this any good?

http://www.xheli.com/09h013-ptz.html

I just ordered some $9 feet but this looks better. So it has something to hold a camera with two servos?
Yeah, i got it delivered today. mostly put it together.. got my servos coming tomorrow. look to me like it has one servo mount for tilt. if you want the camera to pan.. you might have to improvise.. tilt is good enough for me at the moment though..
Apr 09, 2012, 08:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins
Hi,
You list looks OK. I recommend that you get a spare motor, ESC and many extra props. Your AUW with the FPV gear will be getting over 1kg, so be careful with your prop choice. I recommend APC1047s because they never break in flight as the EPPs will do on heavier multicopters. Consider a higher c-rated lipo like the Nano brand in the 4400-5K mah range down the road too if you are planning to use this mainly for AVP.

BTW The FF FCB is $37 incl ship here: http://www.sunsky-online.com/view/24...f.y1kX212gb83w

Good luck with your build and fly safe!
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Thanks for the advice jim! I got some props in today but they are gws 1047 but only clockwise rotation... ive got another cw/ccw set of 1047 coming in soon. but im not sure if they are apc or not..
Apr 09, 2012, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
Anyone who gets this frame kit, make sure you weigh everything. all except one of the arms weigh in around 30g. One arm is 6g lighter..
Dec 08, 2012, 12:49 PM

hey man

hey man i notice that this thread is a little old but i was wondering if you ever completed the robot x550?, im gonna be getting the frame as well and do a little something something for myself.just wanted to get some nice idea's. thanks
David S. Young

Quick Reply