My blog report of my hospital experience. - RC Groups
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Kmot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 30, 2012, 02:17 PM
Grumpa Tom
Kmot's Avatar

My blog report of my hospital experience.

I feel pretty good right n ow actually, and I did not take a Vicodan pain pill this morning. I am able to sit upright and type with both hands, unlike yesterday.

We arrived at the hospital again at 5AM like before. But things moved a lot quicker this time, because the lab results were all in order.

I was taken down to the pre-op area where I was asked a bunch of questions (this is done to be sure they don't make some of those horrible mistakes like happened a while back) to make sure everyone was on the same page. The nurse introduced herself and said "we are going to take good care of you" and that made me feel comfortable. The anesthesiologist introduced himself, asked a few questions, etc. My wife then asked him what type of drug was he going to use and he replied "the Michael Jackson stuff".

Once I was rolled into the operating room I had to flop over to the operating table. Man, was it narrow. I told the nurses "don't let me fall on the floor, you won't be able to pick me up because it will be like trying to pick up a Volkswagen!"

Shortly the anesthesiologist said "okay, we are going to put you to sleep now". I then jokingly asked "Am I going to hear some Michael Jackson tunes?" ANd the nurse said yeah sure and turned on some sort of radio or whatever and although it wasn't MJ it was a music song and I only remember about 3 or 4 seconds of it and I was gone. Next thing I remember was starting to come too in the recovery area.

That was rough. I was very loopy headed, my throat hurt like heck (from the tubes thay had shoved down it) and it was dry as a bone. The post-op nurse was very nice and she would give me a few chips of ice to wet my throat. I was also feeling pain and she administered pain medicine and that along with the anesthetic was making me a bit nauseous so she was giving me anti-nausea medicine. I think I was in there about an hour, mostly waiting to get over the nausea and be a little more clear headed I think. My surgeon came over and told ne the operation was difficult but went well and he asked me if I wanted to go home or stay overnight. I tried to think about it but I could only say "I don't know" and he quickly said "I am going to keep you overnight". And then they took me up to my hospital room.

It's a good thing I stayed, actually. Because they had me on oxygen therapy and also I had to take some breathing exercises and also they gave me another treatment for lungs I think based on the fact I had asthma up to the age of 12.

The nurses were all very nice. They seemed to be really concerned about me being comfortable and not feeling any pain or whatever.

The one thing that really, really was miserable though, was the catheter inserted into me. This was done as soon as they knocked me out on the operating table. And they have to leave it in overnight. But it is the worst feeling. More info than you want to know so I will leave it at that.

I was in a two bed room but I had the room all to myself. I was up until 1AM and then tried to fall asleep. Until 2AM when they wheeled a 'nut job' in there. There was commotion with this patient and the nurses for the next 90 minutes. Then every few minutes after that while this guy set off the alarm on his bed. Then after a while they rolled him back out into the hallway to keep an eye on him and it seemed every thirty minutes his nurse came storming into the room to grab something else of his junk. By 6:30 AM I had gotten maybe an hour of sleep and they rolled him back into the room. He was totally uncooperative, and argumentative with the nurses. He kept getting up out of the bed setting off the alarm which was piercing. And when he was not doing that he was on the phone calling his wife every 10 minutes yelling that he wanted to come home. He was definitely not all there in his mind, but I was a victim of his harassment as well by having to put up with all his loud obnoxious complaining and commotion.

I was sooooooo happy to get the okay to go home and by 2PM I was on my way back to 'home sweet home'.

I am not supposed to drive for the next two weeks.

I am not supposed to lift anything over 5 pounds for the next two weeks, or maybe longer I don't know. Just don't want to be tearing apart anything they sewed up I guess.

As long as I am stationary I feel pretty good. If I stand up, or sit down, or get into or out of bed, use the bathroom, etc it hurts my abdomen a fair amount. But it is less and less as time is going by. I have 6 holes in my abdomen where the surgeon inserted arthroscopic tubes to use for the operation. They are all stitched up and appear to be healing well. The only concern left I think is the possibility of my body rejecting the mesh implant or developing an infection. I sure hope and pray I do not get an infection or have to be opened up.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2012, 11:21 PM
some what irregular
dostacos's Avatar
did he leave a bunch of marbles inside?

for you young pups, that is a reference to the movie MR. Roberts
Apr 01, 2012, 04:00 PM
Grumpa Tom
Kmot's Avatar
Well, four days days after the ventral hernia repair surgery and I feel pretty good overall but I am feeling a little more sore than I expected I would. Mostly when I try to sit up or sit down, lay down in bed or get up from bed, bend down, etc. I guess it's just going to take a little more time.

I had sat around the house for five weeks waiting for the surgery to be done and so I am suffering cabin fever. I want to get out and do something, but I am not supposed to. I read up on the recovery and recuperation stuff yesterday and I am supposed to really take it easy so that I don't mess up any of the work done inside of my abdomen.

I have only taken three Vicodan pills in the four days since surgery. Instead I am taking some lower grade pain medicine but I am starting to think maybe I will pop another Vicodan.
Apr 01, 2012, 07:05 PM
Registered User
steveciambrone's Avatar
Glad your doing well Tom, at least you were out for the catheter, I was awake and had to have it inserted because I could not pee. I explained how it felt to a few people and they asked if they could of given me a shot first to numb it, my response was, yeah like getting a shot in your tallywaker would be better?

Just take it easy, watch Youtube and little tasks at the hobby bench to keep you occupied.

Sorry if what I wrote above made you laugh and hurt at the same time.

Apr 01, 2012, 08:28 PM
Grumpa Tom
Kmot's Avatar
Hey Steve, thanks for the advice! Yep, laughing the first couple of days was a real pain, literally!

I am so glad I was knocked out when the nurse stuck the catheter in.

Well, I did take another Vicodan right after my earlier post, and then I took a nap for a while. I feel less 'ouchy' right now.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion My Experience with FY31AP and Hornet OSD alishanmao FPV Talk 22 Jan 05, 2016 09:23 AM
Question Move my Blog post Xrayted Site Suggestions / Complaints 2 Mar 12, 2012 10:46 AM
Discussion My blog... tanmay90 Nitro and Glow Power Cars 0 Mar 04, 2012 02:44 AM
Discussion Where to buy. My Experiences. Aerosheik Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 1 Feb 27, 2012 12:41 PM
Discussion A quick hi from my hospital room larryross Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 53 Nov 10, 2011 07:23 AM