Mar 29, 2012, 07:09 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Thread OP
Question

Whats up with the 'Q' and 'S' on the Tx

Hey Now!
Last evening my friend (with experience at flying) took my 9116 up, it blew back over the house, he said I can't bring it back, wind too strong. Ran around the house and down the street trying to do something. Droped it into a jungle at the end of the road. i ask scott "why didn't you drop it when it was clear of trees you can hit the throttle before it hits the ground and soften it's landing?" My grandchildren and thier are trying to find it, reward 20.00 witha team split.

Scott said "if it had been on 'Q' insteed of 'S' I could have brought it back"

Question is: do you think it would have made a difference? I know "how strong was the wind etc. etc. Whats the difference. Whats the difference between Q and S on the DH 9116 controler?

Thank you
DJ
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2012, 07:15 PM
Q= Quick, S= Slow.
Mar 29, 2012, 07:27 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Thread OP

J_ I know that thank you

If thats all I need to know then
Thank you,
DJ
Mar 29, 2012, 07:40 PM
S is basically a beginner mode. On Q the heli responds faster and takes more skill to control.
Mar 29, 2012, 07:54 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Thread OP

Thank you again J_

J_ I beg you or whom ever can and is willing too detail the difference between 'Q' ans 'S' mode on this TX. to PLEASE do so.
DJ
Mar 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
I'm no expert but, when you set it to S, the heli responds slower to the stick input and gives you more time to react to its movement. When on Q, everything speeds up giving you less time to respond. That's my best explanation based on my experience with my DH9116. One of the more knowledgeable posters can probably expand on my explanation.
Mar 29, 2012, 08:58 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Thread OP

Thank you J_, think that's what I understood too.

Picked up a new 9116 and broke off the tail pipe while dialing it in tonight. It was me trying to bend it back straight, snaped it.

Today was the first flight of my Power glider from Blitzworks-rc the 'Sky Suffer'.
I hand launched it, pulled back on the right stick and it drove into the ground. This split the seams on the nose and that ended the first flight. I've flown this same plane for a month on the CV sim while it remained in the box.

I did not do a proper 'pre-flight'. The elevator had to be set to reverse to fly like we fly. In the 'pull-up I pulled back at full power and it dove straight into the ground. Epoxy mend and tomorrow we will do it again.

J_ thank you for helping
DJ
sculptor
Mar 29, 2012, 10:08 PM
Sorry for your mishap.. As you know, fixing is a big part of rc flying.
Mar 30, 2012, 03:41 AM
Closed Account
Hi Sculptor,

Q (quick) and S (slow) on the right top switch is the "dual rate" switch.

As the names implies, this switch makes the heli react slowly or quickly to your stick input. What it does is shortens or inhibits the elevator (forward / backward movements) and aileron (bank or slide left / right movements) servo arm movements that act upon the swashplate to make the blades push air in one direction or another or a combination of different directions, at the same time allowing the helicopter to stay aloft.

With a raw beginner, they usually yank away on the sticks, which, if it is left in quick mode, will end in a crash soon thereafter, because they haven't learnt the fine art of small subtle stick movements yet, so when it is set on slow, you'll need a big yank on the sticks to make the heli do anything remotely useful. Usually it is meant for learning how to hover and for slow well controlled flights to get used to the way it flies.

On quick however, the servo arm has it's full range of movement, so the heli responds quicker and more precisely to stick input. In conjunction with throttle input, the heli can full flight forwards (FFF) or get up to it's top forwards speed, and it can do high speed banked turns, spin on a spot or pull up on a dime.

The switch can be changed during flight if one wants to, so your friend could have moved it to quick and attempted to fly your 9116 back.

The key with any RC helicopter, or aircraft for that matter, is small, precise stick movements. It's like I was told during my advanced motorcycle rider training "anyone can go fast on a motorbike, just twist the throttle and hang on, but the true skill is in riding slowly, the slower you ride, the more a rider relies on their experience and skill". I think this also applies to flying RC aircraft. If you make big stick movements, so will the aircraft make big movements.

J_skaggs had it in a nutshell, "S is basically a beginner mode. On Q the heli responds faster and takes more skill to control.

I'm sorry to hear of your woes with both aircraft, "been there, done that, I've even got the bills to prove it", but unfortunately, this won't be the last time you'll have to repair it, so get use to it.

Above all else, in this hobby, you'll need lots of patience, diagnostic skills, dedication and lots of money.
Mar 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Thread OP
Thank you everyone and you Stormforce for that exceptional explaination. I got it.

Thanks again all.
DJ

Quick Reply