Oct 23, 2003, 10:06 AM

Another WASP question

Well, this thing builds really fast! I've got about 2 hours into it so far, and I've got the horiz. stab., elevator, rudder, and fuse built up, including bending the LG wire and drilling out the hubs. In my haste after returning home last night from ground school, I glued in the LG, but I haven't finished the fuse yet. Oh well. Since this is the first profile type I've built, I'm not exactly sure how to finish the fuse. Solite seems a pain with all those little angles and protuberances, as does dope and tissue, but I doubt sanded balsa will take acrylic paint well (I plan on painting/covering the fuse white). FG will be way too heavy for this plane. Anyone have any suggestions for an easy lightweight way to do this?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2003, 10:29 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
I painted the ply part of the "T", then covered the vertical (balsa) part with SoLite. I did this before assembling the fuse pieces though. If you've already assembled it, you're probably better off either spray painting it or doping it.
Oct 23, 2003, 11:03 AM
Like I said, I was in a rush to get something done . So, I got stupid, and glued it together without thinking of the finish. Here's the plan: I have some white tamiya acrylic I'd like to apply to the fuse w/ airbrush. This should work over a 50% thinned coat of butyrate, I hope. If not, I could pick up some sanding sealer, or just give the wood a few coats of the tamiya and not worry about grain.

EDIT: fixed misleading wording
Last edited by Matt Smith; Oct 23, 2003 at 11:37 AM.
Oct 23, 2003, 11:08 AM
BTW, I'm not going for showroom finish on this ship, I just want reasonably attractive, reasonably light, and durable.
Oct 23, 2003, 11:58 AM
Matt,

For my Wasp with the black and yellow wasp scheme, which can be seen on my webpage, I doped the fuse and then brushed on Liquitex Acrylic.

David
Oct 23, 2003, 12:59 PM
Thanks, David. I fully expect to fly the plane into the ground long before any possible shrinkage factor becomes a problem. I was mainly concerned with whether the paint would adhere to dope. Based on youre reply, I'll give it a shot. BTW, I like your 'yellowjacket' scheme--I'm thinking of a simple green and white scheme for mine, to be known as the 'green hornet '. Thanks to Tres too, for enlightening me with alternatives, should I decide to build more like this.
Oct 23, 2003, 01:06 PM
Matt,

Remember, trying things out on a piece of scrap is always a good idea, especially when dealing with compatibility issues.....

David
Oct 23, 2003, 01:10 PM
Yep, good point. Thanks for the reminder.