This thread is privately moderated by Murocflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 14, 2020, 02:45 AM
I would also appreciate an updated original post to provide a list of all the SIMs discussed, and perhaps the key features for newcomers who are struggling to build skills and find their niche.
- Jim
Woops! Should have studied the first post before I commented. I think he did an excellent job. Perhaps an update would be good. I'm printing the first post for my notebook.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2020, 06:16 PM
DG-808 Racing Sailplane (7 min 4 sec)

Does anyone recognize this simulator?
Sep 20, 2020, 02:38 AM
Aspiring 3D pilot
If I was starting 3D flying I would go for FS One V2.
Oct 05, 2020, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracon
Does it work with XTR2? Latest?
Oct 27, 2020, 07:29 PM
I just installed the accurc 2.0 flight simulator and it's real jerky and slow and when it gets close to the ground it will actually go under the ground. My real flight 9 I just updated to 9.5 flies great and smooth but I heard accurc it's supposed to be pretty decent and a good simulator so I wanted to try it. Any idea why it doesn't fly smooth and everything moves really slow and jerky?
Nov 29, 2020, 12:22 AM
So, tonight I found ccrcsim:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/crr...rrcsim-0.9.13/

It's open source (free) and works on Mac Linux and Windows. Since the Mac picks up the Taranis as a USB controller, it was maybe 10-15 seconds of mapping the sticks and I Was in the air.

It doesn't do FPV, which is a bummer, but... Well, the physics (especially the wind) feel so good that I couldn't stop playing, and I finally learned to fly LOS. Been putting it off forever, and just spent 2 straight hours doing it simply because the flight feels so good. Moderate winds were challenging, but also made the whole thing feel even more real, and honestly, fun.

There's even a slope soaring map, and the winds are just perfect for it.

It doesn't look amazing, but none of the RC sims do, in my experience. It ran flawlessly on my 2013 MBP.

I highly recommend this one. I'll be putting a lot of time into it.
Nov 29, 2020, 03:14 AM
Aspiring 3D pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raketemensch
So, tonight I found ccrcsim:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/crr...rrcsim-0.9.13/

It's open source (free) and works on Mac Linux and Windows. Since the Mac picks up the Taranis as a USB controller, it was maybe 10-15 seconds of mapping the sticks and I Was in the air.

It doesn't do FPV, which is a bummer, but... Well, the physics (especially the wind) feel so good that I couldn't stop playing, and I finally learned to fly LOS. Been putting it off forever, and just spent 2 straight hours doing it simply because the flight feels so good. Moderate winds were challenging, but also made the whole thing feel even more real, and honestly, fun.

There's even a slope soaring map, and the winds are just perfect for it.

It doesn't look amazing, but none of the RC sims do, in my experience. It ran flawlessly on my 2013 MBP.

I highly recommend this one. I'll be putting a lot of time into it.
What is MBP! I managed to understand LOS but MBP has got me stumped.

I find it difficult to understand why anyone would buy a model aircraft simulator to fly FPV

Anyway, back to the subject:- Most of the commercial model flight simulators on a modern computer look stunning and realistic.
A good simulator should have realistic physics though and good graphics. Currently RealFlight seems the best and PhoenixRC is my second choice. PhoenixRC was by far better value for money than RealFlight, PhoenixRC was a one off payment for a good simulator that was constantly being upgraded in contrast improvements to RealFlight meant you had to pay the full amount again and again...! I was not impressed with Accura .
I'm hoping FS One v2 will be better than RealFlight.

Any model flight simulator is better than nothing, if you have never flown a model aircraft because the simulator teachers you the only thing that really matters about flying model aircraft, which way should you move the ailerons or rudder stick when the model is coming towards you!
Last edited by TrueBuild; Dec 01, 2020 at 03:38 AM.
Dec 13, 2020, 03:32 PM
MBP is Macbook Pro, I should've just written that out.

I'm entirely new to fixed wing, and do everything but launches in FPV, so I'm learning about tip stall and general "things you can't do" physics-wise in simulators. It's also good to just get stick time in, and with things like the Wings simulator you can practice racing, too. Which, really, I'm not interested in, but it's fun to learn to follow the gates and whatnot.

I picked up AccuRC because it had fixed wing and FPV and runs on Macs, but after purchasing and installing it discovered that for fixed wing they have the camera basically mounted in the middle of the fuselage, so you can't see anything. I contacted them about it (they respond quickly on Discord) and they said that version 3 is coming out very soon, and is a free upgrade from 2, plus it has massively expanded fixed-wing content and working FPV for planes.
Dec 14, 2020, 03:47 AM
Aspiring 3D pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raketemensch
MBP is Macbook Pro, I should've just written that out.

I'm entirely new to fixed wing, and do everything but launches in FPV, so I'm learning about tip stall and general "things you can't do" physics-wise in simulators. It's also good to just get stick time in, and with things like the Wings simulator you can practice racing, too. Which, really, I'm not interested in, but it's fun to learn to follow the gates and whatnot.

I picked up AccuRC because it had fixed wing and FPV and runs on Macs, but after purchasing and installing it discovered that for fixed wing they have the camera basically mounted in the middle of the fuselage, so you can't see anything. I contacted them about it (they respond quickly on Discord) and they said that version 3 is coming out very soon, and is a free upgrade from 2, plus it has massively expanded fixed-wing content and working FPV for planes.
It is good to know you have found a simulator that suits you and joining the ranks of the old timers flying via line of sight
As you say, with a simulator you can practice anytime even when is is raining!

With plenty of Line Of Sight simulator flying you are less likely to damage your real model, because you will react instinctively during the most difficult procedure flying any LOS model, when the model coming towards you during landing.
Dec 14, 2020, 12:55 PM
I think two simulators are missing in the first post of this thread:
1. VelociDrone for quadcopters
2. Wings: a pretty new FPV simulator.
Dec 14, 2020, 03:41 PM
Aspiring 3D pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Echo
I think two simulators are missing in the first post of this thread:
1. VelociDrone for quadcopters
2. Wings: a pretty new FPV simulator.
I think the problem is Murocflyer's has not been on the rcGroups system since "Last Activity: Aug 31, 2017 08:08 PM" as has been commented by others.
All you can do is tell people (as you have done) about simulations that are of interest.
Jan 01, 2021, 04:53 PM
Hill Top Flyer

Rf 9.5

I purchased the RF9.5 DVD from Tower and installed it, updated it using the update button. During the install, I got messages to turn off the virus protection on the computer. The first time I loaded the program, It would not run correctly and quite a few error messages popped up. So, against my better judgement, I went ahead and turned off the virus protection (Win 10 only, no other virus app used) and loaded the RF9.5. The program would run with all the options available. I also updated the program.
I have (now) been getting notices from the virus program that there is a trogan installed with the RF9.5 program. There are a couple of them! The program has now started to not load planes, putting up screens that are not selected. The virus monitor now says threats found, blocked, etc.

Online , there are comments about this problem with RF9.5. THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT CHEAP AND YOU SHOULD GET A GOOD PROGRAM THAT DOES NOT HAVE ANY BUGS INCLUDED.
Needless to say, I am very dissapointed with Knife Edge Software and RF9.5. I do have other RF programs and they have never caused this problem. I have uninstalled RF9.5 and am requesting a refund.

Thanks for listening/reading this.
Last edited by Hill Top Flyer; Jan 01, 2021 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Added final notes.
Jan 01, 2021, 07:31 PM
Hill Top Flyer

RF9.5 updated

I went to the Knife Edge forums and read their suggestions as how to use work-arounds for RF9.5 sim. I still think that there are problems with the launcher for this sim. I will stick with my previous sims (RF 5,6,7,8,X) until KE can 'get it right'.
HTF
Last edited by Hill Top Flyer; Jan 01, 2021 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spacing
Jan 01, 2021, 07:39 PM
Hill Top Flyer

Flying towards you

I, too, had a hard time when the model was flying towards me.......UNTIL......a flyer at the field said "just point the stick at the down wing". Been easy flying since that little tip. Happy flying and Happy New Year to one and all.
HTF
Jan 02, 2021, 09:21 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Another trick to help you get used to the problem of flying toward you is turn your back toward the plane and look at it over your shoulder.
Now since the radio is in front of you and oriented the same direction as the plane the movement of the control sticks is much more intuitive.
If you face the plane coming toward you the sticks need to be moved in a counter-intuitive direction.
After you have used the TURN YOUR BODY AROUND method for a while, you will learn the stick movement without thinking about it
I has been a long time since I had to do that. I sail RC sailboat, too, and the same problem exists when sailing toward you.

Quick Reply