This thread is privately moderated by Murocflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Thread OP
Data

RC Flight Simulators; Information and Reviews

Let's try to answer that age old question: "Which is the best RC Flight Simulator?" by providing detailed info about all of them.

ManufacturerWebsite

aerofly… http://www.aerofly.com/afpd/
AeroSim RC...http://www.aerosimrc.com/j/
ClearView… www.rcflightsim.com/
FS One…http://www.fsone.com/products/fs-one-v2/
HobbyKing...https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...m_mode_2_.html
Phoenix… www.phoenix-simv3.com/default.asp
RealFlight… www.realflight.com/
Wings... www.wings-sim.com

Free Sims

FMS… www.n.ethz.ch/~mmoeller/fms/down.html
HELI-X... www.heli-x.net/index_e.shtml
R/C Desk Pilot… www.rcdeskpilot.com/
ClearView SE... www.bestflightsim.com
PicaSim...http://rowlhouse.co.uk/PicaSim/
Slope Soaring Simulator...http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/sss/
CRRC...http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Main_Page and https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...79&postcount=2
Freerider, and Freerider Recharged

Frank

Here is a recent review by Model Aviation:

http://www.modelaviation.com/simulator2013

Quick Look of the RC Sims:

aerofly
Price: $130 - 170
Uses your own radio (adapter required)
Where to buy: LHS or http://www.ikarus.net/index.php/de/

"AeroFly Pro Deluxe features some of the most advanced flight physics ever implemented in a computer simulation. Whenever it comes to practicing high alpha 3D-flying AeroFly is the perfect tool for you. Torque rolls, snap-rolls, flat-spins, you can do basically any maneuver. Many world class pilots use AeroFly as a training tool. Some of our models have even been set up by some of those pilot, like the TOC freestyle champion Roland Matt."

System Requirements

Windows:
100% Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon64 compatible CPU with at least 1.5 Ghz
512 MB for Windows 2000/XP, 1GB for Windows Vista or Windows 7
5 GB free hard disc memory
DVD-ROM drive
OpenGL Version 2.0 compatible 3D-graphics card with 128MB (also read here)
100% DirectX compatible sound card
Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7
A free USB port and a trainer output on your transmitter

Mac:
Intel based Mac computer (e.g. iMac or MacBook Pro)
1 GB RAM
ATI/AMD or NVIDIA based 3D-graphics card with at least 128 MB
Mac OS X 10.5 / 10.6

AeroSim RC

Price: $86
Where to buy: Online at multiple sources http://www.aerosimrc.com/j/index.php/en/wheretobuy

"AeroSIM RC is designed as a Training aid for those who want to learn to pilot a RC model. There is no prerequisite. The training is oriented to the beginner without any previous knowledge of RC. Nowadays a RC simulator plays a very important role during the starting stages of RC learning. A great help in acquiring most of the required skills. All this is possible since many hours of practise can be flown with no repair time or cost involved, without any stress, and by performing manoeuvres that would be risky for a beginner. AeroSIM RC's Training Program is based on the BMFA requirements for Certificate 'A' exam (helicopter), and in the recommendations from experienced instructors."

Minimum Requirements

Download AeroSIM RC from www.aerosimrc.com and try all functions in your computer

Pentium III or compatible at 1GHz
Graphic Card with at least 32MB RAM with OpenGL driver.
512 MB RAM
200MB hard disk space
CD-ROM Player
Sound card compatible with DirectX
Free USB port to connect the transmitter
Compatible Radio Transmitter Futaba/Sanwa/Hitec/Multiplex/JR/Spektrum with trainer connector.
Windows 7 (32 and 64 bits), Windows Vista, Windows XP or Windows 2000

Recommended Requirements

Pentium 4 or compatible at 2GHz
Graphic card ATI or NVIDIA with 128MB and with OpenGL driver

Mac: From their website

MAC Compatibility?

The MAC version is not supported directly from us. However, many MAC users have reported that AeroSIM RC runs fine in a MAC in several configurations.

For example, a MAC user has tested the simulator on four different Apple Mac with the USB interface. It worked fine on all, but only with Mac OS X Snowleopard. With the new Lion it didn't work.

Other MAC users have reported that the program runs fine in OS X (Lion) 10.7.1 + Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac + Windows 7 Ultimate on Mac Pro and MacBook.

It has also been successfully tested with Bootcamp (remember to install your original Mac OS install disk while running in Windows, in case of reduced performance)

Download the software and try it in your system to make sure.

ClearView
Price: $40 - 100
Where to buy: Online at http://www.rcflightsim.com/purchase.html

"ClearView specializes in "real life" simulation of electric and gas RC helicopters, including TRex 450, Blade CX, CP and CP Pro, Hone Bee, Raptor 60 and 90 and many others. The RC planes range from light weight electric "Shockflier", to 100 size 4 stroke aerobatic Pitts Special to turbine driven F15 Eagle and F-16 Fighting Falcon."

ClearView is also available under name ClearView SE (Select Edition) for free from http://bestflightsim.com The simulator is free, the models are sold for $4 per model, or $2 per model if 5 or more are purchased. That way people can get the ClearView flight engine and pay few $ to fly the exact model they want. Starting price - 0 for 3 free models that come with ClearView SE, then $4 for single model or $10 for 5 models. If you have more questions, please ask me.

System Requirements

Windows:
1GHz CPU and 128 MB 3D video card that provides support for OpenGL 1.5 For the water scenes you will need DirectX 9 card and Open GL 2.0

Mac:
N/A

FS One v2
Price: $130
Uses your own Radio (adapter required)
Where to buy: Online at http://www.fsone.com/index.php?cPath=27

"FS One features unparalleled aerodynamics and physics modeling, stunning flying sites, spectacular camera views, and an excellent selection of airplanes and helicopters to give you an RC simulation experience that feels as real as it looks. What you see on the screen, you sense in the sticks."

System Requirements

Windows:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP
Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Pentium IV or better, or AMD Athlon x2 3200 or better
Memory: 1 GB RAM or more for Windows XP; 2 GB RAM or more for Windows 7/Vista
Hard Disk: 4 GB space availaible
Video/Graphics: NVIDIA or ATI graphics card with at least 128 MB RAM
NVIDIA: GeForce 6000-series (6600 or above), 7000-series, or better
ATI: Radeon X-series (X600 or better)
USB port
DVD drive (for install)

Mac:
N/A

HobbyKing Flight Sim
Price $15
Comes with Sim Radio
Where to buy: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...m_mode_2_.html

System Requirements

Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98
Intel Pentium 600 CPU
32MB 3D display card
128MB memory
10GB hard disk space
52x CD-ROM drive
USB 1.0/2.0

Phoenix
Price: $130 (w/o controller) $175 (w/DX5E)
Uses your own radio (adapter required) or can be purchased with a DX5E
Where to buy: Horizon Hobby or online at http://www.phoenix-simv3.com/purchase.asp#purchasenew

"Developed, tested and approved by Champion pilots and 3-D Master fliers, Phoenix’s physics have a reputation Worldwide for ultimate realism and accuracy, straight out-of-the-box. Phoenix’s advanced rendering engine makes you feel like you are right on the field with advanced lighting and smoke effects, moving control surfaces, realistic-looking spinning rotors and props and cutting-edge techniques such as High Dynamic Range rendering and night-light glows - and our efficient engine means you don’t need a cutting-edge systm to enjoy them."

System Requirements

Windows:
IBM-compatible PC computer with 1.0 Ghz Pentium 3/4 or AMD Athlon/64 compatible processor
Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 operating system
256MB system memory (RAM)
1.5 GB free, uncompressed hard-disk space*
ATI Radeon 9800/NVidia Geforce Ti4200 with at least 128MB memory
Microsoft DirectX 9.0c or higher
DVD-ROM Drive for installation
1 free USB 1.1/2.0 port
100% DirectX 9 compatible sound card (optional)

Mac:
An Intel-based Apple Macintosh computer running Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or 7 under one of the following systems:

Bootcamp (recommended)
VMWare Fusion (latest version)
Parallels (latest version)

RealFlight
Price: $200
Comes with a controller (designed from a Futaba 6EX)
Where to buy: LHS. Plug zip code into here: http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/WGA...ALFLIGHT&S2=G5

"RealFlight 6 is now loaded with even more realism throughout, with vastly improved heli physics! Expert pilots such as Brian Bremer, Matt Botos, Bobby Watts and others worked with RealFlight engineers to program increased precision and incredible heli performance. These experts made sure RealFlight reacts exactly like real life — so that feel and response is as real as it can possibly get."

System Requirements

Windows:
Windows* XP, Windows* Vista™ or Windows* 7
*Local administrator access required.
IntelŪ PentiumŪ 1.0GHz or equivalent
512 MB RAM
5 GB Hard Drive Space
DVD Drive
3D Accelerated Video with:
32 MB Dedicated Video Memory
Full DirectX 9 compliant (Shader Model 2.0 or better)

Mac:
N/A

RCG Resources/Sim Review Threads:

aerofly:

AEROFLY 5.7 feedback!
Aerofly Pro vs. Aerofly pro deluxe

AeroSim RC:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945884

ClearView:

Is Clearview good?
Clearview Simulator
ClearView

FS One:

FSone V2 is here

Phoenix:

Phoenix 4
Phoenix Flight Sim! Share your personal variants and schemes
An Obvious Flaw in Phoenix Flight Modeling
Next version of Phoenix?
Phoenix is now available.

RealFlight:

Realflight and Great Planes
Realflight Simulator without desktop
Realflight 6
Realflight G6??
Realflight G5.5
Realflight 6 Mini Review
RF6.5 Review

And some debate threads:

Realflight 6 or pheonix v3?
Realflight or Phoenix?
Phoenix 4 vs. RealFlight 6 Screenshot (Comparison)

Sim reviews found on the WWW:

Aerofly 5 - a quick review (Some cool videos as well)

Hangar 9 FS One Flight Simulator (Review article)

FS One RC Flight Simulator (this review by the guys from AMA)

Great Planes "Real Flight" R/C Simulator
Last edited by Murocflyer; Sep 25, 2022 at 02:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2012, 04:25 PM
Last edited by jeffpn; Mar 28, 2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Original post read that he was looking for sim comparison discussion. Now I see his intent was to provide information.
Mar 28, 2012, 04:55 PM
Add in RC Deskpilot and FMS. They are both free, which is a great price if all you want to learn is basic orientation skills (which obviously is not where you are coming from).
Mar 28, 2012, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter
Add in RC Deskpilot and FMS. They are both free, which is a great price if all you want to learn is basic orientation skills (which obviously is not where you are coming from).
Got it. Thanks.

Post #1 updated.

Frank
Mar 29, 2012, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
Post # 1 updated with system requirements.

Now it would be great for folks to share their experiences with those Sims and to tell us why they like them or didn't like them and got something else.

If you know of any good review threads on the above, provide a link and I'll add them to post #1.

Thanks,

Frank
Mar 30, 2012, 11:42 AM
Bob S.

No reaction with my transmitter

I have a Transmitter/ Receiver HobbyKing HK-T6A V2, and there is no problem with the airplane (Canadair CL-415), all the controls work. As a beginner, I want to practice on a flight simulator before flying, and I have downloaded 3 free flight sims - RC Flight Simulator, RC Desk Pilot, and FMS. I understand the FMS is the best of these. Notwithstanding, in each case I get no reaction from the transmitter. What am I doing wrong, or must I do some sort of hand-shake link-up? Do I have to first do a T6 config?
Last edited by Bo43; Mar 30, 2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Mar 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
Thread OP
I'm leaning more toward the RealFlight Sim after reading all the websites. I like the idea of having a separate controller for the Sim rather than using my own radio.

Anyone know why or think using their own radio would be better? My rationale is that if you have to adjust the trims from one plane to the next, my RDS8000 would save the previous trim settings. The controller from the RF Sim would always be set to zero from start up. This would save some time wondering what trim position you are at. The downside of this is if you flew the same plane all the time you would want to save those trim settings. Is that an option on the RF controller?

Also can you use your own radio with the RF sim?

Thoughts?

Frank
Mar 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
The beauty of a sim is that you can program the physics so no trim is required. You're making the same adjustment that a trim would make, but in a different place. None of my RF models require trim for that reason.

It is possible to use your own radio in RF, but I never do. Cables are included with the software and Interlink for you to do so. I see it as a gimmick. If I drove your car, I wouldn't need to use my own steering wheel. I can use yours just fine. Alternatively, if someone asks me for help at the field as their plane is going down, I won't tell them that I can't use that type of radio because mine is different.
Mar 30, 2012, 09:15 PM
I have both Realflight and Phoenix. The advantage of the dedicated controller is:
1) Less wear and tear on your real (and possibly expensive) radio
2) You can leave it plugged in
3) You don't have to move your real radio it from its usual place. The tendency at least for me is to use things that are convenient and neglect things that aren't. This is convenient.

The advantage to using your real radio:
1) The knobs are all where you expect them to be doing what you expect them to do.

Personally, I keep a DX5E up by my computer for use with Phoenix. That keeps it convenient. Of course, that negates the advantage of having my normal radio, with the knobs where I expect them to be, etc.
Mar 30, 2012, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo43
I have a Transmitter/ Receiver HobbyKing HK-T6A V2, and there is no problem with the airplane (Canadair CL-415), all the controls work. As a beginner, I want to practice on a flight simulator before flying, and I have downloaded 3 free flight sims - RC Flight Simulator, RC Desk Pilot, and FMS. I understand the FMS is the best of these. Notwithstanding, in each case I get no reaction from the transmitter. What am I doing wrong, or must I do some sort of hand-shake link-up? Do I have to first do a T6 config?
Did you connect your interface to PC and turn the TX on first?
Most sims require interface to be recognised by PC system so it can be locked in whilst
program boots up - they will not recognise interface if enlivened after program has booted.

With regards to Simulators and interface, refer to sub section:
"Flight Simulators (Airplane, Heli & slope) & Sailing Simulators - Commercial & Freeware "
below sub Section
"Buddy Boxes, Flight Simulators & Interface" at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
Mar 31, 2012, 08:55 AM

Hobbyking TX

The cable that you have for the transmitter is to connect to a computer to program the transmitter only and is not for use as a sim cable...if the transmitter DOES NOT have a seperate trainer port...then it can't be used as a sim transmitter...Your best bet is to purchase an inexpensive dedicated USB dummy transmitter box for sim use...Please note that in most cases..if windows does not see the device as a game controller it WILL NOT work with the sims such as Clearview, RCDP, FMS.

Murocflyer- You may want to also add Clearview SE under the free list of sims...it is totally free, has a limited number of models...but models can be purchased or you can upgrade to the full version. Nicely done Murocflyer...I hope this thread doesn't turn into a "which is the best" debate.

Ken
Last edited by Helos36; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added comments
Mar 31, 2012, 09:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helos36

Murocflyer- You may want to also add Clearview SE under the free list of sims...it is totally free, has a limited number of models...but models can be purchased or you can upgrade to the full version. Nicely done Murocflyer...I hope this thread doesn't turn into a "which is the best" debate.

Ken
Thanks for the info Ken. I'll add that to post #1. Appreciate the input as I want to get all the info I can about these flight Sims, so when someone like me wants to make an informed decision on what Sim to buy, it will be easier to do so by reading a few threads instead of dozens.

Frank
Mar 31, 2012, 09:34 AM
Thread OP
I am also wondering if folks are concerned about how well their PCs and Macs work with these Sims. Would it help if we posted what your system is and what Sim you are running on it? Would that be helpful?

Thanks,

Frank
Mar 31, 2012, 09:50 AM
Your thread already discusses more than it's original purpose. To add computer performance to the same thread might confuse things. I'd make a seperate thread focused on computers. This one seems to be originally focused on differences between flight sims, but it's obviously your call.
Mar 31, 2012, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn
The beauty of a sim is that you can program the physics so no trim is required. You're making the same adjustment that a trim would make, but in a different place. None of my RF models require trim for that reason.

It is possible to use your own radio in RF, but I never do. Cables are included with the software and Interlink for you to do so. I see it as a gimmick. If I drove your car, I wouldn't need to use my own steering wheel. I can use yours just fine. Alternatively, if someone asks me for help at the field as their plane is going down, I won't tell them that I can't use that type of radio because mine is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter
I have both Realflight and Phoenix. The advantage of the dedicated controller is:
1) Less wear and tear on your real (and possibly expensive) radio
2) You can leave it plugged in
3) You don't have to move your real radio it from its usual place. The tendency at least for me is to use things that are convenient and neglect things that aren't. This is convenient.

The advantage to using your real radio:
1) The knobs are all where you expect them to be doing what you expect them to do.

Personally, I keep a DX5E up by my computer for use with Phoenix. That keeps it convenient. Of course, that negates the advantage of having my normal radio, with the knobs where I expect them to be, etc.
Thanks for the feedback about using the supplied controller. Makes perfect sense to me. Advantage to RF in that aspect.

Frank

Quick Reply