Like A Gyro To Keep Wings Level During Take-Off-From-Grass - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Mar 27, 2012, 10:54 PM
Requires Further Research :)
Discussion

Like A Gyro To Keep Wings Level During Take-Off-From-Grass


I am looking for an electronic gadget to help keep my wings level while I take-off-from-grass, by level I mean perpendicular to gravity.

Currently I have a HobbyKing Bixler (3rd gen EasyStar clone) (mono-hull without landing gear) and landing on its monohull is easy, however take-off-from-grass is much more challenging, if a wingtip dips into the grass then the plane pivots and tries to take-off in a new random direction. The desired magic device would provide input to a mixer going to ailerons/flaperons to help keep the wings level and to help prevent/recover-from wingtip dipping into the grass. A Heading¬Hold Gyro tied to the rudder might be helpful but the wingtip dipping into the grass is still the root cause of this takeoff challenge.

I am sure that other applications can be found for this magic device.

Does such a device already exist?
If any vendors need a beta tester, then I would happily volunteer.

Thanks
John
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2012, 02:25 AM
Registered User
Paul_BB's Avatar
Hi,

Maybe the Feytech FY 30-a Flight Stabilizer ? Or the EagleTree Guardian ?
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65527

-Paul
Mar 29, 2012, 06:30 AM
Registered User
Have you tried hand-launching? I'd suggest adding landing gear before a gyro.
Mar 29, 2012, 07:25 AM
Registered User
Andy W's Avatar
*this* is the link I was looking for last night. Long day...

www.servocity.com/html/how_do_servos_work_.html
..a
Mar 29, 2012, 03:14 PM
Registered User
pilotpete2's Avatar
I bet it was
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1623087
I think that's the thread you were responding to with that info
Pete
Mar 30, 2012, 02:47 AM
Registered User
scott page's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDickey
I am looking for an electronic gadget to help keep my wings level while I take-off-from-grass, by level I mean perpendicular to gravity.

Currently I have a HobbyKing Bixler (3rd gen EasyStar clone) (mono-hull without landing gear) and landing on its monohull is easy, however take-off-from-grass is much more challenging, if a wingtip dips into the grass then the plane pivots and tries to take-off in a new random direction. The desired magic device would provide input to a mixer going to ailerons/flaperons to help keep the wings level and to help prevent/recover-from wingtip dipping into the grass. A Heading¬Hold Gyro tied to the rudder might be helpful but the wingtip dipping into the grass is still the root cause of this takeoff challenge.

I am sure that other applications can be found for this magic device.

Does such a device already exist?
If any vendors need a beta tester, then I would happily volunteer.

Thanks
John
I've used aileron gyros for a Bixler taking off on grass. It was only marginally successful at best -- an only if the grass was very short. Gyros just can not counteract the force of anything with greater friction that air -- ie -- grass or water.

Hand launching is far more successful - and once you get the hang of it, not difficult at all. The key is don't THROW the bixler. If the prop is spinning the correct direction and facing the correct direction -- with a 3 cell battery it will fly right out of your hand with a moderate throwing motion. We have 5 of them in our family -- We fly the heck out of the Bixer.
Mar 31, 2012, 01:22 AM
Requires Further Research :)

Thanks for the input


Paul_BB
Thanks for the pointer to the Feytech FY 30-a Flight Stabilizer and the EagleTree Guardian

SkySailor And Scott Page
Hand launching might still be the best answer,
I will have to give it another serious try,
(my first few attempts made for hard crashes).

Thanks for the input
Mar 31, 2012, 05:56 AM
Registered User
Andy W's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2
I bet it was
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1623087
I think that's the thread you were responding to with that info
Pete
Ah, crap. Thx!
..a
Apr 01, 2012, 12:19 AM
Registered User
scott page's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDickey
Paul_BB
Thanks for the pointer to the Feytech FY 30-a Flight Stabilizer and the EagleTree Guardian

SkySailor And Scott Page
Hand launching might still be the best answer,
I will have to give it another serious try,
(my first few attempts made for hard crashes).

Thanks for the input
When you crashed from hand launching -- was it due to not enough power or did you seriously botch the throw and torque it.

I ask because IF you have the prop set up right -- it will nearly fly right out of your hand. But -- you would not believe the number of people that install the prop backwards on the Bixler/Sky Surfer and think it's a gutless wonder -- because it will still fly -- just not very well.

So if the prop has the numbers facing the tail -- it's on backwards and you would have to really throw hard to get it to go -- but throwing hard causes problems with adding roll or yaw during the release.

When hand launching DON'T throw upward. Look at the horizon and throw at the horizon. #1 mistake hand launching is throwing up upwards causing a stall. #2 mistake is throwing too hard and inducing yaw or roll.

When hand launching you should have the transmitter on a lanyard or better yet, a transmitter tray. If using a lanyard a balance like this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12991 helps too.. and I throw with my right hand and have my left on the right stick.. just for a second. Not sure if putting the left fingers on the right stick is good advice, it's just what I do.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Elevator Up or Level During Take Off? easystarfpv4 Electric Plane Talk 19 Mar 27, 2012 12:17 PM
Question foamy edf that can take off grass jgadzia Foamy EDFs 1 Mar 25, 2012 09:06 PM
Discussion Anyone know the best Warplane from Nitroplanes that takes off from grass thor4944 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 1 Feb 11, 2012 03:39 PM
Help! TWO ESCs STOP DURING TAKE-OFF... vineet_p Multirotor Drone Talk 30 Dec 17, 2011 06:18 AM
Discussion Electric Jets that take off from grass? thor4944 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 30 Mar 04, 2008 06:43 PM