Mar 26, 2012, 05:30 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Discussion

A suggestion for the "Nurflügel Forum Community

Hello fellow "Nurflüglers"

I must admit untill I started reading this forum that "wing only" aircraft were a distant thing in my mind however after beginning to pore over the contributions here I must say I am "hooked".However this type of aircraft is also a rarity in the flying world. There are few kits, and the number of people designing them is a tiny group when one considers the sheer number of "conventional" model aircraft fans out there.

These aircraft are not only a rarity but also require quite a bit of skill and understanding to create. There are a few very good sources of information available however many not in English. Recently one of the members and I began an undertaking to start translating some of these information sources. It would by my suggestion to request a "sticky" thread here where such things as translation, links to programs such as "Ranis", links to suppliers of kits or specialized building materials and ofcourse a tips and tricks catalog.

I have looked with great interest over the threads here and especially the pictures would suggest that there are some very talented model builders on board here.

So perhaps a sticky with an "Encyclopedia Galactica" if you will, of gathered wisdom for all to read and use. Perhaps once some information comes together an appeal could be made to the moderator(s) so the knowledge can be easily shared?

Best to all, Jens
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2012, 09:22 AM
You know nothing....
Good idea Jens.The only mod. I would suggest is to make it a"links to useful info"thread.A lot of the more technical stuff-eg Norms postings-seems to come about in the ongoing dialogue of a thread.Collating all that into one place would be a major task,whereas posting a link to a sticky thread could be done by the poster or any one who thought a particular item merited it(with poster permission) The same could work for hints and tips,a lot of those arise from Q's in threads,although there is more scope here for direct posting of ideas.
Just my 2p Stuart
Mar 26, 2012, 09:41 AM
Bailed out
Jens

Maybe it also can be used to gain some general know-how about the "wing only" planes and models of the past.

I do show one example, the Klingberg Wing, 2 m kit, other members will know the period!
I did find some information:
Picture 1 and 2 where posted on the internet by chip.greely.
Picture 3 an enlarged one in the past by Chris Good
and probably Daryl ‘Monty’ Bellman in the man-carrying version.

History, so we don't forget and try to invent the wheel again.
BTW, no "Horten" of course but "Klingberg"!

Cees
Mar 26, 2012, 09:48 AM
Everything's A Composite
There is much work to still be done on this forum Jens. I created the forum on a whim and gave little thought to the description. It could be changed, but would probably require another voting process to do so. My vote is to rename it per this.

Also, I do not believe that a moderator has been assigned to the forum yet. I have not looked into it. It is the moderator that creates "stickys".

Looking for volunteers !

Kent
Mar 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
You know nothing....
Jens,bearing in mind Kents remarks,there would be nothing to stop your suggestion going ahead as a normal thread/threads.Some thoughts from others would be welcome ?Poll maybe.
Stuart
Mar 27, 2012, 04:53 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Hi,

Yeah poll or something, I have never requested a sticky and I have no idea how to but the idea was first off just to see if the forum members would even be interested in something like this.

Jens
Mar 27, 2012, 09:40 AM
Everything's A Composite
Yes, of course. It is a great idea. Just having a forum dedicated to the basic plane type is step in the right direction. Having a top level sticky thread dedicated to basic concepts would be very useful to all and especially to noobs.

But there's a bit of problem. Who decides what goes into this thread. Certainly there are different schools of thought within the community. This is the job of the moderator. The moderator, to be fair, would have to be very knowledgeable and a dedicated statesman. I can tell you, it's not me.

Personally, I believe that all posts, whether they be the thread starter or an individual comment, are biased and represent an opinion. Which leads to a solution. Just create your own sticky thread in your blog, then reference your blog whenever needed. The advantage of the blog is that you can delete unwanted posts, so you can shape the database and still allow contributions from the community.

Kent
Mar 27, 2012, 01:06 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Hello Kent,

You might be right there, being moderator is nothing I would really want to do unless forced into it LOL. A blog is something I did not think of, might be a good way to go.

Jens
Apr 01, 2012, 12:22 AM
SlingWinger
I was hoping the forum would be dedicated to the "pure" flying wing. If that keeps the crowd small, all the better as far as I'm concerned; after all there is already the other forum for those that want rudders/tip fins/winglets.

On the other hand, anyone could dedicate a particular thread to "pure" wings only I suppose. That's probably the best compromise.
Apr 01, 2012, 10:01 AM
Everything's A Composite
You're right dayhead. "Wing Only" is a big big category. I suggest that you name your thread to identify a sub-category, such as Horten Glider. This way we are all still together, but specific searches are easy.

Kent
Apr 02, 2012, 03:12 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Hello all,

Well at the risk of sounding like a snob or elitist (its going to happen anyway so flame away )... there is a "Flying wings" section that covers wings in general, I would tend to think (and hope) that this section here really should be more about wings only ... no finned stuff here. Yeah it sounds kind of snobbish but ...

Jens
Apr 02, 2012, 03:39 AM
You know nothing....
First you have planes.Subdivide into fuel,electric and unpowered.Subdivide these again into.........the logical conclusion is endless sub forums.Just let it evolve naturally,without being too pedantic.I would be well satisfied to stick with the "no horizontal tail surface" stipulation.Just my 2p.
Stuart
Apr 02, 2012, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
Just let it evolve naturally,without being too pedantic.
That's exactly my opinion. I do not see much point in having discussions. Time will decide what happens. Until now, I've seen many very nice threads here, with and without fins ( I really do not care). None seemed to be really off-topic. If I look at the "Flying Wing" section and at this section, the main difference I see is that, here you find many own elaborate designs.

"To fin, or not to fin, that is not the question"

Regards,
Andrés
Apr 02, 2012, 05:22 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Ok agreed no vertical control surfaces ... Jens
Apr 02, 2012, 09:22 AM
Everything's A Composite
I've been keeping track of this "Forum Naming Issue" regarding fins and there has been maybe 3 comments in favor of prohibiting fins. All the rest are in favor of an open forum that allows all types of "Wing Only" configurations. Maybe a Poll would be useful.

Kent

Quick Reply