Demi Duster Electric - part 17 - back to the drawing board
My second attempt at vacuum forming a canopy went about as well as the first. Hotter oven, longer heat cycle, faster application - all no good.
I did some research (probably should have done that before I started, huh?) and found that the canopy form is too tall for vacuum forming. Something about draw ratios greater than 3:1 not working, and the canopy is above that ratio. Well, at least now I know why it didn't work. Time to re-think the problem. If I get some thicker material, I can score out the bend lines in the canopy. Prior to bending, I'll run some black trim tape across the score lines on the opposite side, then bend and glue everything into the proper shape.
At least it sounds good.
A quick check on the CG shows that the plane is tail heavy. Originally drawn up for glow power, the electric motor is much lighter than the glow engine and mount. So, out comes ModelCAD and a partial cowling is designed. Files have been sent to the LHS for laser cutting. That will give me an area to add weight as far forward as possible, so the overall weight won't be as bad.