Dec 02, 2015, 03:54 PM
Anybody know whats been changed on the 32" besides having a black foam plane?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2015, 05:07 PM
I don't know but I was totally ready to buy one if it jumped on the bandwagon and included a blunt section
Dec 09, 2015, 06:02 AM
I'm getting one for Xmas so I guess I'll find out.
Dec 13, 2015, 11:35 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer
Anybody know whats been changed on the 32" besides having a black foam plane?
Looking at the updated photos on Brian's site, he's increased the opening for the internal electronics and added an internal velcro mount on the bottom coroplast for a Go-Pro camera (the camera shoots downward), the elevon servo cutout have been changed to allow an upright servo w/ply mounting plate and the coroplast winglets have been redesigned without notch on the trailing edge.

If you're getting one for a camera platform the changes are welcome. Otherwise, it's not as aerodynamic so appears we're losing a bit of top end speed and the tip plates won't allow you to set the wing on the runway for a 'rocket launch' takeoff.

Dec 15, 2015, 06:51 AM
I like the big battery bay but why are you saying that it's not as aerodynamic as the old style?
Dec 15, 2015, 06:27 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer
I like the big battery bay but why are you saying that it's not as aerodynamic as the old style?
Old design the servos laid flat and were flush with the wing surface. This update has the servos mounted upright on a ply mounting plate. The plate sticks up 1/8" and the servos will be sticking up into the slipstream above the mounting lugs.

Don't know how significant the changes will be but it was originally a pretty hot wing on 3S.
Dec 31, 2015, 07:20 AM
I got one for Xmas and there seem to be several changes. I haven't started it yet but will post some pics when I do. Gonna be a 4s machine.
Jan 01, 2016, 07:18 PM
TuffWing
Thread OP

GoPro 32 Changes

Just thought I'd list the changes:

• 1.6" added to wing tip.
  • Washout removed from wing tips. Old wing had 1.5%. Helpful flying slow, but gets weird at hi speed. New wing is flat. Wider tips keep stalls predictable. No death spiral.
  • Servos moved to top for easy change, plus I don't have to manually cut those pockets!
  • Larger bay for GoPro, autopilot, FPV gear, etc.
  • 3mm tube in elevon replaces 2mm rod.
  • Smaller winglets - fit the airfoil bottom - yes, I know, no more vertical take offs. Maybe a future option for big winglets, but the little ones are all you need to keep the wing from "yawing".
  • New velcro.
  • Durable rounded elevon tips.
  • Pertty much every other part changed to fit.
Green GoPro, black old

Cheers,

Brian
Last edited by bchristal; Jan 02, 2016 at 12:27 PM.
Jan 01, 2016, 07:20 PM
TuffWing
Thread OP
Duplicate post and there is no delete...
Last edited by bchristal; Jan 01, 2016 at 07:29 PM.
Jan 17, 2016, 09:43 AM

The new TF 32

Finally got the maiden done. No problems and maybe the easiest wing maiden I've ever done. It flies slow and fast, handles great with a pretty long glide into the landing.

This is a better plane than the older version IMO and I've had 4 of them.

It's equipped with an NTM 2836 3000kv, Turnigy Plush 60A esc and a Dinogy 4s 1500 65c lipo. The larger bay makes it a lot easier to locate the electronics.

Here's a couple of quotes from Brian when I asked about the CG-

"Yep, it's right. 1.6 inches were added to the tip trailing edge. That moved the CG back. Don't add tail weight if it's nose heavy. Almost impossible to get it too nose heavy."

"Add more up trim than you think necessary for the first flight. Not enough up trim just goes straight into the ground without a chance to properly trim."
Jan 22, 2016, 07:25 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
We'll I've only got 3 of the TW 32's so I suppose I'll have to spring for a 4th. I agree with Brian in that they get a little bit weird at high speed. It is difficult to overcome the torque. It's still the one airplane I take with me on every trip to the flying field.

Gives me an excuse to procure a GoPro...
Feb 04, 2016, 08:29 AM
I've had this in the cart a couple times. I'm looking for a trunk size FPV flyer that I can bash around a bit.

It looks very nice, and compared to other manufacture (who usually just give you a bunch of white cut out pieces and a bag of hardware, raw balsa elevons etc), this one seems like it would be an easier build because the maker has done many of the steps that other manufactures leave to the end-user.

The only thing that keeps me from buying it is the lack of hand holds to throw it. I haven't had good luck with side arm throws yet and have found wings in general difficult to dial in.

I don't think I'm ready for 100mph fpv, is this wing stable at the 30-50mph range until I get my nerve up?
Feb 04, 2016, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
I've had this in the cart a couple times. I'm looking for a trunk size FPV flyer that I can bash around a bit.

It looks very nice, and compared to other manufacture (who usually just give you a bunch of white cut out pieces and a bag of hardware, raw balsa elevons etc), this one seems like it would be an easier build because the maker has done many of the steps that other manufactures leave to the end-user.

The only thing that keeps me from buying it is the lack of hand holds to throw it. I haven't had good luck with side arm throws yet and have found wings in general difficult to dial in.

I don't think I'm ready for 100mph fpv, is this wing stable at the 30-50mph range until I get my nerve up?
The side arm launch is not as hard as it looks, just keep the elevator up when you first throw it and let off after it gets up about 20'. Practice with a Frisbee or anything flat. Go to you tube and search the videos - there are lots of them. You probably will have a few bad launches but it's a Tuff Wing and will survive most of the time.

Yeah, it's stable at just about any speed.
May 29, 2016, 01:44 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
I own 3 of the original TW 32s and just maidened the GoPro version last week. It does groove a bit better at WOT but, doing some stall tests (without the camera) it did tend to tip stall a bit more eagerly.

In moderate winds it still has the side-to-side wobble (perhaps a bit more that the original) but is rock steady in calm winds. Still probably the most fun per pound of any of my fleet.

Things get exciting when we have 2, 3 or 4 up at a given time.
Sep 04, 2019, 06:00 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Over 3 years since the last post on this thread and...

I'm still flying ALL my Tuffwings. I have only the 32" size - one yellow, one pink and one orange. I also have the version 2 (green) which has a slightly different shape (tip chord is wider).

Flew the pink and green ones today at our field. Did the vertical rocket launch on the older version. They are still fast! And enjoyable!

Quick Reply