Thread Tools
Mar 01, 2015, 11:24 AM
Registered User
Volunteer's Avatar
Finally got mine flying on 4s. Fast and loud and handles like a dream.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2015, 01:41 PM
Registered User
tsuitt's Avatar
Tuffwing seems a good value for the money. I just test flew mine ,seemed as it were on rails smooth and fast with good roll rates. I have not done any crash test as of now, so I can't say
just how tuff it really is. I will let all know about tuffness as time goes on. But for now it fly's great.
May 03, 2015, 09:13 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Pipemajor's Avatar
I just maidened my neon yellow TuffWing 32 today after ordering/assembling it last fall. I tried a couple of times to maiden it back then but couldn't keep it from diving back into the ground. Today I held in quite a bit of up elevator and she was airborne.

Flies very smooth - especially at higher speed. I have the all-stock setup with NTM 2836 2200, APC 7-4E prop and Castle Thunderbird 54A ESC.

Speaking about higher speed, this thing is pretty quick. It's hard to lay off the high throttle.

If I were to get another (and I likely will), I'll get the carbon horns and motor mount. Wouldn't be a bad idea to reinforce the pushrods with carbon either.
May 04, 2015, 03:02 PM
San Mateo, CA
HPCR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
I just maidened my neon yellow TuffWing 32 today after ordering/assembling it last fall. I tried a couple of times to maiden it back then but couldn't keep it from diving back into the ground. Today I held in quite a bit of up elevator and she was airborne.

Flies very smooth - especially at higher speed. I have the all-stock setup with NTM 2836 2200, APC 7-4E prop and Castle Thunderbird 54A ESC.

Speaking about higher speed, this thing is pretty quick. It's hard to lay off the high throttle.

If I were to get another (and I likely will), I'll get the carbon horns and motor mount. Wouldn't be a bad idea to reinforce the pushrods with carbon either.
It's a FAST wing for sure, so it get's away very quickly. Consider setting up 2 or 3 ( depending on what you TX allows) D/R and Expo profiles. Launch it with your NORMAL D/R settings . Once comfy in the air , switch to the HIGHER RATES and prior to landing , switch back to the NORMAL Profile / rates again . it will reduce your pucker factor. BIG Time !
Last edited by HPCR; May 05, 2015 at 12:08 PM.
May 07, 2015, 07:55 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Dakrat's Avatar

My super tuffy build


Hey guys,
Just got my new kit in, used some tricks to stiffen her up for fast runs!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9#post31554961

Tell me what you think!
Dak
May 10, 2015, 06:38 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Pipemajor's Avatar
Just ordered my 2nd TuffWing 32. Nothing wrong with my original but I'm surely going to wear it out very quickly.

Only a couple of changes from my current TW - will use Beacon Quick Grip adhesive in lieu of CA/accelerator; carbon X-motor mount; HiTech HS-5055 metal gear micro digital servos; reinforced fiberglass control horns; 3M Scotch Extreme Tape for the LE reinforcement and some carbon tubes to stiffen the music wire pushrods.

Although I've not heard of any problems, cutting a few airflow holes in the upper/lower coroplast covers seems prudent.
May 10, 2015, 08:21 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Pipemajor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCR View Post
It's a FAST wing for sure, so it get's away very quickly. Consider setting up 2 or 3 ( depending on what you TX allows) D/R and Expo profiles. Launch it with your NORMAL D/R settings . Once comfy in the air , switch to the HIGHER RATES and prior to landing , switch back to the NORMAL Profile / rates again . it will reduce your pucker factor. BIG Time !
I fly a Spektrum DX9 with 3 flight modes. I've been setting up each flight mode pretty consistently with all my models.

FM1 is high rates and moderate expo for takeoff/landing when airspeeds are relatively slow.
FM2 is low rates and a bit more expo for smooth high speed flight - non-aerobatic mode.
FM3 is high rates and zero expo for all-out aerobatics and responsiveness.

DX9 verbally calls out what FM you switch to, making it easy to know you're flipping the right switch and to the correct FM.
May 10, 2015, 08:39 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Dakrat's Avatar
Pipemajor,
What motor are you using?
Dak
May 10, 2015, 09:26 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Dakrat's Avatar
I got a question about the weight of my improvements. Well it looks like 25.3 oz AUW w/3S 2200 mah battery. I think average build is about 20 oz give or take?

Well the rest of my gear came in so I proceeded to finish up my build.

I ran Iron over all the seams and hit spots that looked like they needed some more heat. I did this last because glue come out and dirties the iron that why you only clean it once.

Next up was laying down colored tape from HK and prism paper w/adhesive (Darice) from Joann's after that I cut seams for servos and placed them in double sided tape. I also added the prism paper to the winglets, make sure you have a left and a right!

I centered servos, cut the 4-40 rods and installed dubro ez connectors. Almost done, finally I took the iron on a lower setting and smoothed out tape in spots.

Done!!
Last edited by Dakrat; May 12, 2015 at 07:56 AM.
May 10, 2015, 09:45 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Pipemajor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat View Post
Pipemajor,
What motor are you using?
Dak
The one Brian sells - NTM 2836 2200KV w/APC 7x4E prop.

BTW, I placed my order late last night - got notification just now the shipping info has been sent to USPS. Dang, he's quick!
Last edited by Pipemajor; May 10, 2015 at 09:51 PM.
May 10, 2015, 11:27 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Pipemajor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat View Post
I got a question about the weight of my improvements. Well it looks like 25.3 oz AUW w/3S 2200 mah battery. I think average build is about 20 oz give or take?

Well the rest of my gear came in so I proceeded to finish up my build.

I ran Iron over all the seams and hit spots that looked like they needed some more heat. I did this last because glue come out and dirties the iron that why you only clean it once.

Next up was laying down colored tape from HK and prism paper w/adhesive (Darice) from Joann's after that I cut seams for servos and placed them in double sided tape. I also added the prism paper to the winglets, make sure you have a left and a right!

I centered servos, cut the 4-40 rods and installed dubro ez connectors. Almost done, finally I took the iron on a lower setting and smoothed out tape in spots.
Done!!
Mine is pure stock except for the heavier clear duct tape I used for the LE reinforcement. With a ParkZone 25C 3S-2200MAh, Deans connectors, Castle Thunderbird 54A ESC and APC 7x4E prop, I get 20.1 oz or 569g. No repairs yet.
May 16, 2015, 07:24 PM
Registered User
tsuitt's Avatar
Mine is stock but I used this motor, MicroDAN 2505 "Custom" 2535Kv
May 19, 2015, 08:52 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat View Post
I got a question about the weight of my improvements. Well it looks like 25.3 oz AUW w/3S 2200 mah battery. I think average build is about 20 oz give or take?

Well the rest of my gear came in so I proceeded to finish up my build.

I ran Iron over all the seams and hit spots that looked like they needed some more heat. I did this last because glue come out and dirties the iron that why you only clean it once.

Next up was laying down colored tape from HK and prism paper w/adhesive (Darice) from Joann's after that I cut seams for servos and placed them in double sided tape. I also added the prism paper to the winglets, make sure you have a left and a right!

I centered servos, cut the 4-40 rods and installed dubro ez connectors. Almost done, finally I took the iron on a lower setting and smoothed out tape in spots.

Done!!
How does it fly? Is it not too heavy? Any flight videos?
May 20, 2015, 08:13 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Pipemajor's Avatar
Did my first "rocket launch" today. Stand it vertical on the coroplast tip plates then punch the throttle. You'll experience a bit of torque roll but not bad at all if you anticipate it. Haven't done the catch landing yet.

Got four new 25C-35C 3S-2200 LiPo's in the mail today. My 2nd TuffWing will get pressed into service this weekend. I imagine I'll go through a lot of electrons. I'll also need to create a 2nd TW in my DX-9 - my original yellow and now one orange.

LHS are all out of stock for carbon tubes to slip over the pushrods.
May 21, 2015, 08:56 AM
Registered User
What size of carbon tubes you guys are using for the push rod.?

Maidened mine last weekend and loving it. I love how fast it is and the sound it makes.

It is my first wing .

Can i use smaller props to slow it down when flying in a smaller field then switch to original (7x4e) prop when flying in larger field?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold 24" tuffwing tonkajeep34 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Feb 09, 2012 11:17 AM
Wanted Wings Swift or superfly speedwing tuffwing Fl410 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 24, 2011 01:48 AM
Wanted superfly, MS Composit Swift, Popwing, tuffwing Fl410 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 20, 2011 11:20 PM
Wanted Wing Popwing or Swift or speedwing or tuffwing pilot1211 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Nov 10, 2011 04:18 PM
Discussion Smallish Wing/Delta/Pusher: Ritewing-Superfly-Tuffwing-MiniSlinger-HKParkjet roo_ster Flying Wings 3 Sep 27, 2011 09:03 PM