Dec 24, 2014, 09:35 PM
San Mateo, CA

The final touches - DONE

Ok So I think this Wing is now all done. I just wanted to figure our how this packing tape with the 3M 77 adhesive would work. I waited glueing the motor mount until the last moment so I could also take it out and play around with it so as to get the best "layout" of the electronics compartment. In the end, I decided to change the AR6210 out for the Lemon-RX because of the size and mostly because of the way the servo connections end up ( from the end of the unit instead of the top of the unit). Then, I figured that I might get a larger battery so the space in that compartment was absolutely critical. Solution was to put the RX on the outside behind the motor ( which is on the top of the wing) very well protected and secured with velcro and in fact also with the motor connections that run partly across the RX. Now there is ample space in the electronics bay for the ESC and for a large size battery. I have some pictures for you to look at.
Also, I finished the recommended packing tape treatment of the leading edge of the wing . That was very easy actually and it definitely will give the wing some additional strength and more important, some smooth airflow. If the WX plays nice .. tomorrow is the maiden. I am still somewhat concerned about the COG but we will see. The motor seems to be pretty powerful in this air frame. It is delivering about 250 Watts and the Tuff wing weights basically nothing. I also added a block of visibility squares on the underside of the wing. I am thinking , this thing is going to be pretty fast based on the thrust I feel spooling up that motor!!
Last edited by HPCR; Dec 24, 2014 at 10:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2014, 12:09 PM
How was the maiden HP?
Dec 26, 2014, 12:39 PM
San Mateo, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
How was the maiden HP?
Too windy yesterday so I decided to wait and to check that darn CofG with a fellow flyer of mine.
So - it helps if one reads the manual . . Turns out that this little HOLE in the bottom of the hatch is the recommended ( at least starting point) for the C of G of this wing. Well, that means I had to peel-of the checkered sticker on the bottom of the wing ( see pictures) to find that darn hole. BTW, the C of G HOLE is 7 inches from the pointy edge of the wing.
With an ESC and a Lemon-RX loaded in the smaller cutout and a 1000 mAh 3 cell in the larger cut out.. the C of G was at least 1 1/2 inches too far back. in fact the C of G was basically on the main carbon spar . So a found a large socket ( wrench) that gave me the C of G that was recommended. That weights at least 1 OZ but that gave me the recommended GofG at 7 inches from the wing tip. I have ordered the larger 2200 mAh batteries per the build sheet / recommendations from HobbyKing ( Western warehouse) which might come in today or tomorrow. Hopefully that put the C of G to were it belongs. The week-end is coming and , so they say, no rain in the forecast. Now if those darn winds would subside... I have things to do and planes to fly.
Last edited by HPCR; Dec 26, 2014 at 01:33 PM.
Dec 26, 2014, 04:17 PM
I have a half ounce of lead in the nose to get it to balance. It acts heavy on the stand but flies great - go figure?

After you get used to flying it, the wind won't bother you at all.
Dec 26, 2014, 04:23 PM
San Mateo, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
I have a half ounce of lead in the nose to get it to balance. It acts heavy on the stand but flies great - go figure?

After you get used to flying it, the wind won't bother you at all.
Good to know about the lead and as I am hearing that a forward CofG is fine, that sounds like a good alternative. I just received the following items from HobbyKing>

4x #ZC.2200.3S.25/26472 ZIPPY Compact 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack (USA Warehouse) = $43.96
1x #NTM2836-2200/28121 NTM Prop Drive 28-36 2200KV / 696W (USA Warehouse) = $17.57
1x #NTM28-ACC/24527 NTM Prop Drive 28 Series Accessory Pack (US Warehouse) = $2.09
1x #L2210-1650/38689 Turnigy L2210-1650 Bell Style Motor (250w) (US Warehouse) = $8.99
1x #HKESC10A/26491 H-KING 10A Fixed Wing Brushless Speed Controller (USA Warehouse) = $6.25

I may swap out the Turnigy L2210-1650 which is 250 Watts and pushes like a mule with the NTM2836 but I will see.

No doubt, this NTM motor has powerful magnets you can feel the resistance when turning the can :-)
Last edited by HPCR; Dec 26, 2014 at 06:46 PM.
Dec 26, 2014, 07:50 PM
Nice! You will love that set up. I've never had to add any weights up front (using 3S 2200mah batts) for the COG all was needed for me was just some trim.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:18 AM
San Mateo, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgd1 View Post
Nice! You will love that set up. I've never had to add any weights up front (using 3S 2200mah batts) for the COG all was needed for me was just some trim.
I got the 2200 mAh and tried it all out and I am happy to say that this lipo shifted the CofG forward to exactly 7 inches . So I am all good and hopefully we will do the maiden over the week-end. I am thinking the L2210 motor will do fine to.
Dec 28, 2014, 09:13 PM
San Mateo, CA
Maiden done, the wing is FAST and FURIOUS . Sounds like several of my flying buddies are going to place an order for the Tuff wing. It flew better and faster than anything else they had flying around today.
Then I looped it into a free and had to shake it out. Some foam damage but I lost one of the Carbon fiber stiffeners in the left elevon. I need to call Brian Cristal tomorrow and see how I can get a few of those shipped to me. It's a keeper for sure.
Last edited by HPCR; Dec 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM.
Dec 29, 2014, 03:52 AM

Awesome

I ordered mine yesterday...cant wait to build. What are the best servos for this. I wont use non metal gear...Past experience tells me they will fail. Looks like a really nice wing .
Dec 29, 2014, 11:45 AM
San Mateo, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by srowe View Post
I ordered mine yesterday...cant wait to build. What are the best servos for this. I wont use non metal gear...Past experience tells me they will fail. Looks like a really nice wing .
I used the HXT900 as recommended. that seems to be working as advertised. Here is a tip for you!
Before assembling the wing, move the elevons up and down all the way nice and gently so as to make the " hinge" smooth so it has less resistance when you install the servos and link them up. You may want to do that 20-30 times , nice and gently all the up and down to break them in.
Also, when you inbed the spars and rods use ample CA to really "grab that rod " with CA and make sure you push the elevon rods all the way to the bottom of it's groove, then CA. More is better. There is a really nice assembly video on YOUTUBE , you may want to watch that a few times. Also in this video they recommend to put glue at the back of the servo and accelerator in the foam , then press down and hold. That is a really NEAT idea..but make sure you have your servo ZERO'ED correctly before you install that because their is just a little space to install and fasten the servo link once the servo is down in the hole.
It's fun!! I just ordered another one
Last edited by HPCR; Dec 29, 2014 at 06:32 PM.
Dec 30, 2014, 03:18 PM
San Mateo, CA
As I said, I just bought another one. I know how to put it together and make it better. I have the choice between an L2210 and the NTM 2836 which is on its way from HobbyKing. Based on my Maiden, the L2210 has enough power, lots of it in fact. running on 3 C 2200 mAh Zippy lipo's. This time, it's a green version I ordered. I have HXT900 or Corona DS-918's or 919MG's that I can use. They all have the correct footprint and should have enough power. Let the fun begin. Hope the weather stays crisp and clear I have flying to do.
Jan 02, 2015, 09:02 AM

Group photo

The Green one is missing, should be in the mail today, we plan on streamers and combat.
Last edited by sbales; Jan 03, 2015 at 01:07 AM.
Jan 02, 2015, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbales View Post
The Green one is missing, should be in the mail today, we plan on streamers and combat.
Nice! Were did you get the servo link set up?
Jan 02, 2015, 11:47 AM
2/56 rod and ball links I picked up at Hobby People.
Jan 04, 2015, 06:00 PM
San Mateo, CA

After 3 week-ends of flying . Here is my input

First, I want to complement Mr Christal for his great customer service and quick / efficient order processing.

What I like in addition to the customer service is -
- Complete instructions on how to build it with good suggestions on what power plant combinations to use.They work, they work very well indeed.
- Easy built, quick with few pieces that need to be assembled or prepared for assembly.
- C of G attainable with recommended lipo / motor.
- Smooth flyer
- Fast and predictable flyer
- Easy to set up and trim
- Long flying time . I get 10 minutes with 35 % battery left ( 2200mAh - 3 C Zippy Compact)

What was not so good for me:
-Crashes = breaking of the wing in invariably the same spots. They are:
1/ along the carbon spars just behind the leading edge
2/ on both sides of the motor mount cracks that go all the way to the servo cut outs
3/ carbon spars ripped out because of flexing of the wing so they need to be CA'ed in again.

So I am having the impression that the round CF spars are not sufficiently "bedded" ie the spar has very little to hold on to in the case of a crash and just breaks free.

I am thinking there needs to be some sort of "firewall" in the center of the wing ( where the cutouts are for the motor/ battery / ESC that is used to anchor the CF spars.. possible a small piece of plastic / Coroplast/ that is imbedded front to back to secure the CF spars.

Two of the cf rods that support the elevons also "popped" out during the crashes and needed to be CA'ed again.

And lastly..I am suggesting that in the assembly instructions, the user is told to fold the elevons back and forth throughout their complete maximum travel many times before assembly. this will reduce the resistance and help the servos out when it is time to fly.

I know, one can say " don't crash" but heck, that is not an option and in order for the Tuffwing to be tuff. it has to survive the average crash and fly again.

Would I buy it again.? Yes I would. It is a great flying wing. I just would like to give this constructive input.

For the Mfg of Tuffwing.. improvements are always good
For the buyers.. know what you can do to alleviate the issues.
HarryR
Last edited by HPCR; Jan 06, 2015 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply