Mar 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Building a 1/72 canadian "Glen-class" tug from the 1/82 Lindberg Diesel Tug

Hi there.

"My name is Michael and this is my first try on RCing."

But im not new to modelbuilding in general.

I know this site for some years and was a random lurker since i found it when looking for infos on building a rcd Revell Flower Corvette. The Flower is still in its building stage, as i was distracted for some years due to other modelling hobbys. Then, last November, i started working on it again from time to time (mostly fixing bad things with my now better skills then when i started it) - until i recently noticed that a new version will be released, and i decided to wait for that, maybe it will have some parts i like to add to my started one. But i was already infected again .... and i decided that i need a rescue vessel as 2 working boats will be safer than only having one.

Im a 1/72 scale-slave, and i always liked the found buildups of the Lindberg tug - so i made my math what size the tug would have in 1/72, and then i searched for a class in that size, a easy buildup with only minor adaptions (if possible). I found nothing that way, but while searching i fell in love for the canadian WW II tugs of the Glenn-class, and halleluja, that will be a nice match for my Flower when both are build, too.

But ..... not much of the Lindberg can be used other than the main hull, most parts need to be made from scratch. Nonetheless, i decided to give it a try.

I started it 2 weeks ago, so i first have to show you what i did already. And now i would like to show my way - as im new and have no real clue for rc, feel free to chime in and say when i mess it up.
Last edited by Lichtbote; Mar 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
Thread OP
Well, there i was .... sitting in my shop, staring at the hull, looking a little bit dumb - and hoping for a idea to start.

First i sanded the front bumper away.

Then i enlarged the hull with a 4mm strip of styrene sheet.

The kits deck was used as a template for some 1,5 mm sheet

From that i formed the inner lip that later "shall" provide the water tigh connection to the deck.

Mar 24, 2012, 01:02 PM
Thread OP
Some double sided tape

To provide some hold to the 1,0 mm sheet

Marking the outline (to notice if it moves while cutting)

Then, before shaping it, using the edge of the sheet to mark the curve of the deck to some 1,5 mm sheet - for later use as a template.

Then cutting

And sanding

Done - we have a deck to work on.

Mar 24, 2012, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
Marking the outline of the deckhouse - as shown in my first post above i will build the short house version, in my opinion it looks much more elegant than the long house variant.

And cutting the former marked curved line, now we have 2 deckshaped rulers for later use.

Its already used for cutting the curved sides of the deckhouse

The d-h main parts

arranged on their place

With some rooms - i found no deckplan or blueprints, so i guesstimated. Its just to have something for the eye if someone looks through the open doors.

Mar 24, 2012, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
Back to the hull. Ive learned here that its original shape is not ideal for the prop.

So i decided to cut and reshape it. Here you see already a glued in piece of 0,3mm sheet, as a base for the next steps.

Rebuilding the keel from Aves Apoxie sculpt

Some first Aves paste, to strengthen the connection

After that cured, a complete layer of Aves paste .... and later some sanding

The sheet on the sides of the keel is glued on to provide strength while handling now, it will be sanded down later.

Mar 24, 2012, 01:27 PM

I am enjoying your modeling skills.
Great build.
Mar 24, 2012, 04:22 PM
Nickel Belter
Really REALLY looking forward to the next installment! Are you going to paint her in the RCN gray scheme or one of the more colourful civillian ones?
Mar 24, 2012, 05:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry murphy

I am enjoying your modeling skills.
Great build.
Thanks.

I love scratchbuilding, but this is a completely new task for me - usually i build SW spaceships. I hope it will come out nice at the end.
Mar 24, 2012, 05:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ56
Really REALLY looking forward to the next installment! Are you going to paint her in the RCN gray scheme or one of the more colourful civillian ones?
Indeed it will get the gray scheme, as im gonna build it as on her duty time - so it will look believable when towing my HMS Clematis, later.
Mar 24, 2012, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
The deck of the next level is made from a thin sheet (iirr from 0,7mm), with understructure, framed with some 0,5mm strips

Then the round frontcorners of the house where made from Aves, roughly formed, will later be sanded to final shape.

And build the core of the wheelhouse from 0,5mm sheet

The outer side was planked with 0,5mm v-shaped evergreen-sheet, then the windows layout was marked

Drilling and cutting

Followed by more drilling and cutting.

I think it looks not that bad.

And after the sanding

Mar 24, 2012, 05:39 PM
Thread OP
Due to the minimal room in the stern (and my not existing experience in building rc-ships) i wasnt sure about incoming water. So i decided not to use a tube only, i cut a piece of 6mm brass tube and turned me 2 bearings from delrin.

The bearings were pressed in with a small vise, then i turned them over again to get everything straight. Next step was turning the axle for the rudder

The tube was glued in with superglue/CA

With inserted axle

Then a small o-ring

And a small belt wheel, from a scrapped cd-player

It works - belt length will decided later, they can be obtained from my hifi-dealer in next to every length.

For safety reasons then a mixed styrene-modelglue goo was added

Mar 24, 2012, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
The stern after some more sanding, the prop-axle was drilled and the keel was sanded more to get a better flow from the water to the prop.

Milled the rudder axle flat and added 0,5mm ps-sheet with 2-part epoxy, to build the rudder

I think the shape will provide a better flow compared to the kit one, remaining voids will be filled with apoxie later.

I made the rear a little bit longer, hoping for better control

Mar 24, 2012, 08:01 PM
Really nice! The hard part of a project like this is deciding what to save, what to modify, what to save for the outline/shape, and what to just pitch because it won't work. Looks like you have some great ideas on those lines.

As for not having a deck plan I would bet that with enough of those tugs built that there were a lot of variations within the class, so build what you want unless you are doing a specific ship at a specific time don't worry about it.
Foo
Mar 24, 2012, 09:39 PM
Nickel Belter
http://www.greatlakesmodeling.com/pr...oat_plans.html Dave Benedet has some of the plans, probably general arrangement drawings. It may take him a while to respond to any inquiries as he's a sailor himself and frequently at work for a few weeks at a time.

Also a couple of good reference images of the deck on the Russell Brothers listing:

Mar 25, 2012, 06:29 AM
Thread OP
Hi Foo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008
Really nice! The hard part of a project like this is deciding what to save, what to modify, what to save for the outline/shape, and what to just pitch because it won't work. Looks like you have some great ideas on those lines.
In this case the decision is pretty easy - next to all parts are not matching enough to get them done with modifiying. At least not without putting much more effort in modifying and getting a "soso"-result, than in doing less work with scratchbuilding and having what is needed.

So, additional to the hull, there will only some detail parts be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008
As for not having a deck plan I would bet that with enough of those tugs built that there were a lot of variations within the class, so build what you want unless you are doing a specific ship at a specific time don't worry about it.
Foo
20 Glen-class tugs were built - 16 steel hull and 4 wooden hull. 11 of the steel hull were build by Russel Brothers (Owen Sound, Ontario), with 6 of the 11 outfitted with the short house and the more powerfull 400hp 6-cyl diesel engine.

Im not neccessary fixed on a certain ship at a specific time, but it should be the gray painted wartime version. And unfortunatly not that much info is out there on them, so youre right ..... probably it will be build as a generic Glen.

Quick Reply