Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 24, 2012, 05:51 AM
Discussion

Tailless jet

Claus and I team up on this new project, it's a tailless jet powered on 2X 70 mm fans the dimensions are 1479mm long and a wingspan of 1425mm. I have done some experiments with different plan forms, to see what works and what doesn’t.

The plan are all done I hope we will begin to do some foam cutting soon. Here is some pis'c of our model.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2012, 07:56 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
Frank,
Im guessing you will be using gyros for stabilization?if you have time take a look at the 3axis gyro accelerometer..fy30a..i get mine from rcdude.com
It is an amazing piece of gear!!
Take care.....chris

Frank,is it me or are 1 of the wingtips pointed up and 1 down? Will this help in controlling yaw?
Mar 24, 2012, 10:53 AM
You know nothing....
Frank,good to see you back with this.I will be following with great interest.
Regards Stuart
Mar 24, 2012, 11:47 AM
Pro Hoarder
Should make for a fun project
Mar 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
Hi Chris

Both wing tips are pointing up and is so to increase the side areal of the model.

The concept of this model is to introduce drag behind the CG, this is done with use washout instead of drag rudders. It also has a large sidereal behind the CG, that is why the tip is pointing up, I also placed 4 airguieds under the wing leading to more areal. All this combinde should increase yaw stability.

The 4 air guides act as tails and will stabilize the model, and because thy are placed under the wing thy are exposed at all AOA except for negative AOA

I think the model will be stable in it self and that there will be no need for gyros, but time will tell.
Last edited by frank40; Mar 24, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Mar 24, 2012, 02:42 PM
Wow Frank, a really awesome rendition! Should be a great project. w.
Mar 24, 2012, 03:15 PM
PH.D in Scratchbuilding
Looking real good Frank..... I guess I better pickup the SpearJet soon so you can get started on this one.
Mar 24, 2012, 04:53 PM
that look's good. so where the tailless jet
Mar 24, 2012, 07:28 PM
Another great project!

You could easily add some yaw control with differential thrust - those motors look widely spaced.
Latest blog entry: Crash Compilation
Mar 26, 2012, 07:08 PM
Wow the side profile is sweet!!!
Mar 27, 2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks glad you like it.... I do have some vector thrust nozzles i order
Mar 27, 2012, 03:40 PM

vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank40
Thanks glad you like it.... I do have some vector thrust nozzles i order
yaw control with differential thrust . How you get yaw control with differential thrust. differential is on alirons. up & down difference.
vector thrust whould have to move left to right for yaw. ps look's like you got vertical
covered
Mar 27, 2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by space 1
yaw control with differential thrust . How you get yaw control with differential thrust. differential is on alirons. up & down difference.
vector thrust whould have to move left to right for yaw. ps look's like you got vertical
covered
Same word, different context. Differential thrust would mean you mix the rudder in with the throttle channels so that one fan produces more thrust than the other with rudder input, causing yaw.
Latest blog entry: Crash Compilation
Mar 27, 2012, 06:26 PM
What are your plans to power it with 2- 70mm or 2-90mm fans. I answered my own question I see you put it in the first post
Last edited by unclecrash; Mar 27, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Mar 28, 2012, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia
Same word, different context. Differential thrust would mean you mix the rudder in with the throttle channels so that one fan produces more thrust than the other with rudder input, causing yaw.
no no. with tailles jet with no tail fin you not trying to turn you are trying to fly straight first then turn. your set up whould work BUT you would never be able to control it with rudder stick.