Mar 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

who here Mills their own modeling lumber ?

dont know about you all but i am getting tired of paying high prices for modeling lumber at the hobby shops, also my local hobby shop is getting very bad about keeping the bass and balsa stocked up to par, i am wanting to build some static Dory s and would like to mill some 1/16 planks from pine, my very old table saw and band saw are not up to that task so think on up grading one of them ? so wondering if any of you do and what set ups you do it with
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
I mill almost ALL my own lumber and I work primarily with regular old eastern white pine. I have a fair little work area in my cellar that passes as a workshop. I don't know what you have for woodworking machinery so I don't know you capabilities. I have a 10" table saw, 12" band saw, 6"X48" belt sander, 12" planer, 6" planer/jointer and an osillating spindle sander. But, believe it or not, I do all my model lumber milling with my band saw and belt sander! I resaw the pine on the band saw and then finish it to thickness using fixtures that I have made for my belt sander. I have been able to mill down to just under 1/32" using this method. It takes a little practice and patients, but is well worth the effort. I am mostly a scratch builder and I buy very little from hobby stores. Like you said, store prices can get crazy. The 2 most important things you need are a good band saw with a good blade and a good belt sander. If you are interested in learning more get back to me here on Dock Talk and we can work something out.

Bill
Mar 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
BILL, I would like to see your jigs for using the belt sander as a thickness sander. I have done short pieces on a sanding drum on the metal lathe with a auxiliary table on the cross slide. I would again like to see what you use. Jerryj98501
Mar 23, 2012, 07:46 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Id be interested as well.. Ive been pondering in my head how to make uniform planks out of mahogony 60" in lenght and 3/32 thick..5/8 wide..

last time I made my own stock I made a fence on my scrol saw and bought sheets of bass wood to make planks..
The sheets were cheaper than the sticks..and i didnt have a band saw..

I like the band saw..made a dozen 1/4 by 1/4 sticks lickity split..the finish is rough though..
i
Mar 23, 2012, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
Bill, yes please show your set ups, i have an old ridged brand band saw but its difficult to cut a straight line with it lol, i live near the Grizzley tools store in Springfield MO and have had my eye on a good looking band saw with a fence and 1 hp motor so may have to bight the bullet and bring one home, i am sure they do a better job than my old junker, would love to see your thickness sanding set up, and any tricks or suggestions would be a big help
Mar 23, 2012, 08:24 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
I have an el'cheapo band saw to..

the trick to making a straight cut on it is to square my work with the blade ,not the fence or table..

Me thinks you just need to revisit your saw again and make a little saw dust with the afore mentioned perspective.
Mar 23, 2012, 08:27 PM
I am in the process of finishing up a 30" scratch built lobster boat that I planked with 1/16"X3/8"X32" lg planking I made up with my rig. It will take me a few days to get the pictures and everything together so bear with me. I am not that great on the computer but I will do my best. The fixture itself is very simple but it allows me to dimension sheeting up to about 4" wide, any length, and strip planking of any width down to a thickness of about 1/16" safely. You can go thinner, but it becomes tricky and a little nerve racking. The reason I say this is because this is a manually fed operation and you have to pay attention all the time or you will wind up with some very nasty "sand paper rash". Anyway, to get back on track, It will be sometime next week before I can get back to you guys because I have a family commitment this weekend going through Monday, but after that I should be able to get to it. Keep your eye on this discussion Thread. I will get back to you on here.

Bill
Mar 23, 2012, 08:38 PM
I use my table saw to cut the planks to about the right thickness and then use my thickness sander to reduce them to the correct size. I have had that thickness sander for many years and it still does a great job.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Mar 23, 2012, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Bill, i look forward to seeing your set up, also show your Lobster hull, i just bought a mid west lobster boat kit off e bay , guess i got the down east fever because dorys and lobster boats are on my short list.
Mar 23, 2012, 09:36 PM
Go to the top of this page and click on ""my RCGROUPS", Scroll all the way down the right side and click on "Attachments" Pictures of my finished "semi scratch' Midwest boat and various stages of my present totally scratch build including the half model I carved and took the frame stations from. You can also see fairly clearly the planking I made and using on the new build. The pictures are mixed up but you can get some idea of my work. There are about a dozen or so pics.
Mar 23, 2012, 09:39 PM
Oops!! I meant to say scroll down the Left hand side.

Bill
Mar 24, 2012, 12:42 AM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Very nice..
Mar 24, 2012, 07:36 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
While it's nice to be able to make your own scale lumber, you should consider the cost of acquiring the machinery to do it properly.

I for one do not have the equipment listed, except for a small table saw---.

(sigh) Guess I'll just have to continue buying from the hobby shop. Lucky I don't use much wood on my projects---.
Mar 24, 2012, 08:19 AM
Living the dream
Local Hobby shop includeing the crafts stores like hobby lobby and Cattans and michaels are way up with their mark-ups these day compared to recent years...It aint the 90's! I buy from online suppliers like Balsa USA, etc. I also do my own balsa and basswood stripping, one is obviously easier than the other! I use band/scroll saw and sander as well.
Mar 24, 2012, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
Hay Bill, your lobster boat looks great, nice planking job, i am still on the ropes in trying to decide to purchase a better band saw or table saw, the band saw would sure get more use and take up less space , i watched a few good you tube videos on ( cutting thin strips on the table saw) and also band saw with use of a simple jig, the table saw cut was on the outside of the blade, Not between the fence and the blade, same with band saw, Hay Karl bet the price of polyester resin has hit the roof lately as well

Quick Reply