This thread is privately moderated by BatLaw, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 23, 2012, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Frog Redwing

Right. Just completed some trimming flights of the Redwing.
Took it to our local common for a bit of space just in case. Wind was about 9 mph, that's according to our local RAF station, about 10 miles away, and it seemed about right.
I also took my stock MPX Mini Mag but that was struggling to make headway. First flight for that but it will now have the brushless out of my Easy Star!
Anyway, nothing ventured etc. so with a hand launch off went the Redwing. The motor is a noisy little beast with the gearbox making more noise I thought than a GWS IPS, but there's plenty of pull. Slightly out of trim resulting in wing drops and a couple of near vertical landings but then everthing got sorted and she settled down. As she was still showing a tendency to spiral in on turns out of wind I kept her head in and throttling down left her hovering quite nicely 30 ft. up just in front of me. It was even buzzed by a very ragged winged buzzard at one point! After 5 or so minutes of this I thought discretion called for postponement to another day.
The various ground arrivals did no harm and she bounced quite nicely off the short grass with the only problem being the loss of a wheel retainer when I later tried a ROG!
Back home was much calmer in the garden, so Mr. Impatient thought he'd have another go. Wheel back on, but after a couple of short hops, it came back off so end of session.
As it flies quite fast even with just enough power to sustain flight, the garden may be too confined; my Vapor vid shows the size; so next week I'll hop over the fence one evening and try it on the 17th fairway.
I think that a slightly larger version with the increase in wing area may suit the motor better. All in all, the 'package' of motor, rx., servos, esc and lipo listed below seems ideal. I have a West Wings Widgeon on the go and that will take it nicely. However with the thrust shown today I think that a 4 ch. version in an old Mustang I've got may be ok, it's similar to the Cox version that others have converted.
The Redwing can now be decorated to match the plan sketches and a better wheel retention method used.
If all goes well I'll get out the ski helmet cam and post a video. I'll look a bit of a wally with the 'bone dome' so will look for something more suited to the good weather that's just arrived, 18 C. in the garden just now!
Last edited by BatLaw; Mar 24, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply