New version of speedo? Speedo Pro! - Page 15 - RC Groups
Oct 24, 2012, 01:30 AM
Maybe something like this:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ769&P=0
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2012, 04:17 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of a folding prop on the front.
Oct 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
I've done it to several planes but not the Speedo. I always put a couple of degrees of right and down thrust in the firewall. Also make sure that your firewall is slightly recessed in the nose and put a bead of epoxy around the edge so it can't pull out easily.
Oct 28, 2012, 05:46 AM
Ok - think I might give it a try. What do you usually use to measure 2 deg of right and down ?
Cheers,

Scott
Oct 28, 2012, 05:50 AM
-----
TLAR (that looks about right)...
Oct 28, 2012, 06:01 AM
Took my Speedo Lite out for a spin today in light winds. 5-10kts and sunny conditions with a very light spattering of clouds (good to spot those thermals)

All up 90 minutes of stick time.. and a heck of a lot of fun.
Hate a mate there with his Speedo Mk 2 as well.

This thing thermals quite well.. a sparrow just has to fart and away it goes.
Got some lovely height.. but then of course had to do a fly by at low height and high speed and then climb back on up to do it all again.
Sounds good whizzing past.

Some aerobatics were performed.. but I do find the rudder to be a bit of a let down.

Have mixed rudder/aileron but apart from that.. it just doesn't have enough authority for my liking!!

Oh well.. still bloody fun to fly.
Oct 28, 2012, 10:48 AM
I use a protractor.
Nov 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
Soaring Fanatic!

Slow-Wind Fuse

Ordered the Speedo Pro with the Slow-Wind Fuselage during the last sale.
The SW Fuse has 2 slots on the left side and 1 on the right and comes with 3 glass tubes as well.
Nov 28, 2012, 06:36 PM

Speedo 1.43

Sure would be good if the rudder were notched into the vertical rather than just "tacked on" to its thick trailing edge. When I had one I made a light tail sprit to fair under the bottom of the rudder to give it a more finished look. Rest of the fuse is nice.
Nov 28, 2012, 08:08 PM
Well they make good lawn darts!!!

This is what happens when you fly with a flat battery.

Turns out the all singing... all dancing.. fantastic battery checker only does up to 4 cell NiCd/NiMh. Thus my lovely 5 cell NiMH pack was giving false readings.

Beep beep beep goes the radio then off she goes.. into a lovely spin down the slope.

Loud thud heard... fearing the worst I do the walk of shame.

Only damage.. broke the servo tray loose... snapped the servo lugs off the servos.. broke 1 wing spar and nicely split the covering right over that spar to make repairing nice and easy.

Could have been a heck of a lot worse as the ground is quite hard at present as we are into summer.
Nov 29, 2012, 03:55 AM
-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thelephant
Ordered the Speedo Pro with the Slow-Wind Fuselage during the last sale.
The SW Fuse has 2 slots on the left side and 1 on the right and comes with 3 glass tubes as well.
Clever idea: the light wind version should need almost no nose weight with the CoG pushed so far back.

Chris
Nov 29, 2012, 05:15 PM
Hi Guys, first post on rcgroups.

I've had my Speedo 1.2 for a couple of weeks now having got the slope bug with my Multiplex Merlin composite special (almost as much epoxy/ cyano as foam :-) ). The idea was for a compact and quick dedicated slope machine. On a budget.

I've clearly made the perfect choice as-

a) It flies like a dream in winds from 5 to gusting 30mph; indeed it's spectacular in the heavier conditions; and

b) Its newer, bigger, bulkier, bendier, pricier cousin, whilst not being quite slated, is clearly not a patch on the original.

I've been divorced twice so don't always get things right the first time.

However.........................

Happy flying!!!
Nov 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1
Clever idea: the light wind version should need almost no nose weight with the CoG pushed so far back.

Chris

Yup, the only thing R2 is missing is a spare stab, as I'll have to make my own. Seriously considering a much larger rudder too.

Just noticed that the SW Fuse is also available in matte black+carbon which looks really sharp too. Never seen the iridescent green or purple yet, but they'd clash w/ my red/white wings.

-8th
Nov 30, 2012, 03:44 AM
-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooody
Hi Guys, first post on rcgroups.

I've had my Speedo 1.2 for a couple of weeks now having got the slope bug with my Multiplex Merlin composite special (almost as much epoxy/ cyano as foam :-) ). The idea was for a compact and quick dedicated slope machine. On a budget.

I've clearly made the perfect choice as-

a) It flies like a dream in winds from 5 to gusting 30mph; indeed it's spectacular in the heavier conditions; and

b) Its newer, bigger, bulkier, bendier, pricier cousin, whilst not being quite slated, is clearly not a patch on the original.

I've been divorced twice so don't always get things right the first time.

However.........................

Happy flying!!!
Hi Woody, welcome to RCG !

My suspicion is that the "original" Speedo turned out to be a complete fluke, I bet even the designers never knew it was going to fly so well ! Truly destined to become a classic...

Chris
Dec 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
Electric Speedo anyone??

http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-aircraft...sailplane.html

Little screamer motor (3200kv).. 6x3 prop... 20A ESC.. and small 2 cell lipo.