Oct 21, 2003, 05:18 PM
3D Printing Junkie
Thread OP

Motor for a Global Free Style? Please Help...

I'm looking for a motor for my new Global Free Style 40 ARF. Budget is a consideration right now so I'm looking for a decent power plant on a budget. My first choice is to put in a four stroke (love the sound) and was looking at the Magnum 80 or 91 but I took some dimensions and it looks like the 80 and 91 are too big without a fair bit of modifications to the plane and I don't really what to get into that. Next choice is the OS 71 four stroke but it's pretty pricy.

I guess my question is, with an 0S 61 four stroke will this plane be a total dog? My choices now seem to be a OS 61 four stroke or the OS 61 two stroke. I know the 61 two stroke will give considerable more power but I'm not really looking for all out 3D performance, just a good aerobatic sport plane with some reasonable vertical performance.

This instructions call for a 61 size in a four stroke but I know that they always spec on the conservative side.

Thanks!!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2003, 05:47 PM
I choose an 2 stroke 60 engine from Magum there nice sound and smooth awsome ride so check them out

Kevin
Oct 25, 2003, 04:20 PM
my mate is running a YS 63 on his and it goes very well

Dean
Oct 25, 2003, 10:16 PM
The YS is the most powerful 4 cy. made- You are better off with an OS-61FX unless you can get a decent and light 4 cy. I.E. Saito-72, YS-63 OS-70 surp. etc..

If you want to stay near 46 size the Irvine-53 will work well also-
Oct 25, 2003, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by glowpwer flyer
I choose an 2 stroke 60 engine from Magum there nice sound and smooth awsome ride so check them out

Kevin
Hey Kevin, how do you know all this stuff ? I thought you where just beginning to get into this hobby ?
Oct 26, 2003, 09:43 AM
I learn quickly and i am in areospace club..and i love magum i flew with and magum and os engine 2 stroke befor nice sound

kevin
Oct 26, 2003, 07:16 PM
My Freestyle has a Saito .72 on it.This is a very good setup.I would also think the YS would be more powerful.The new OS 70 Ultimate would probably be a great choice also.I think OS 4 strokes are more user friendly than the others.The Ultimate is supposed to be lighter than the Saito,and pumped like the YS.

If you are forced to go with a less expensive option,I would say get a 2 stroke.The "less expensive" 2 strokes are much more reliable than the "less expensive" 4 strokes.You could fly it on the cheaper 2 stroke while you save up for the 4 stroke.

Quick Reply