Aug 21, 2019, 11:42 AM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Dave, he 3D printed the fuselage and then made a mold from it. So the 3D printed parts (which he did in sections and then assembled and surface finished, I donít have a lot of details) served as the moldís plug or master.
Interesting process. I wonder if he's shown his work on line somewhere. At least you don't have to worry about finding straight plywood!

Thanks for sharing that info, Steve.

-= Dave
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 01:42 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Thread OP
No build log, I asked.
Aug 21, 2019, 03:15 PM

ExCali back on the front burner

Hi Steve ,
Nice to see your resurgence of enthusiasm and desire to continue on the quest to design and build the ultimate VTPR ship.
I'm still in the process (slow) of scratch building a Quark 2.
Thanks for forwarding the Looping article and translating as well.
Hopefully one day I'll be building an ExCali something.
Cheers.
Aug 25, 2019, 12:50 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Thread OP
Ouh la la! I got a link from Jeremie, the guy who built the Prozack, with a link to a build that basically lays out the entire process of 3D printing a master for an aerobatics glider:

https://thebreizmaker.wordpress.com/...r-de-fuselage/

Super! This looks like such a cool way to go forward.

Steve
Aug 26, 2019, 03:01 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Thread OP
More R&D

Plastic Love - Excalibur VTPR slope aerobatics in California (3 min 18 sec)
Aug 29, 2019, 12:29 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Thread OP

So weird

So I had a weird experience tonight, but it was really cool.

My current plan is to draw my initial design by hand, on paper, with a pencil, then scan that into my computer, trace its profile, and ultimately create a 3D model from it. I'll then 3D print the fuselage (in sections, per the link above) and make a mold plug from it.

Towards all that, I figured I could start warming up. I started drawing and eventually I had a very Le Fish - looking thing, but stretched out. I sort of placed the wing where I figured it made sense, it was a little higher on the fuse than I wanted, but it seemed more-or-less in the right place.

Later on, when I scanned it, I was just curious about the proportions, so I opened up my ExCali drawing from 2012 and overlaid it, scaling it to match the length nose-to-tail of my new rough drawing.

I was blown away to see that the place I'd stuck the wing, the length of the wing chord, and the rudder hinge, and basically everything was a near perfect match. That was insane to me, as I'd sat outside after dinner in the fresh air, with just my paper pad and pencil, and no visual references of any kind, and freehanded the sketch. I literally just freehanded the drawing. And it wound up being a nearly perfect match, in terms of dimensions, for the ExCali that I'd pulled largely from the original Excalibur plan from Looping magazine seven years ago.

That's weird, man! I can imagine some skepticism and it's totally justified. It feels like a story too good to be true and I'd have a hard time believing it if it hadn't just happened.

Steve
Last edited by surfimp; Aug 29, 2019 at 12:35 AM.
Aug 29, 2019, 12:44 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Thread OP
P.S. - I don't mean to imply that I'm unsatisfied with the ExCali 2012 shape, it's very close to a real Excalibur, and I love the way that plane flies, obviously. It's super.

However, for the ExCali, I want to try to live up to the original project goal of not cloning the Excalibur - because what's the point, especially now that I have a real one? - but rather, trying to adapt the core ideas of the Excalibur - which are as well proven as they can get - and endeavoring to evolve it to better suit my local sites and flying style. Not because of something wrong with the Excalibur, but because of me. Does that make sense? It's a personal project, not a prospective product, so it makes sense to me

Steve
Aug 29, 2019, 09:45 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
Yes Steve... please “adapt the core ideas of the Excalibur”. But make sure you give the design a big dose of Surfimp “flavor.”
Aug 29, 2019, 11:20 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Thread OP
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dawson

It’s fun drawing planes and thinking about design again. This is a cool hobby

Steve
Aug 29, 2019, 11:56 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Thread OP
Sometimes the R&D is even more exciting than expected...

VTPR Aerobatics Quick Hits: Excalibur Near Death Experience (0 min 18 sec)
Aug 30, 2019, 02:01 PM
Excalibur glider vs. 1000 DEGREE KNIFE YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS!!!

You know Steve.. I think that thing would do very well at Fermin or Sunset Cliffs. Torrey is high lift but the ridge isn't as fun.
Aug 30, 2019, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Sometimes the R&D is even more exciting than expected...
GULP Would I be right to say I heard that unmistakable mixture of fear, prayer and a wee bit of excitement in your double-moan? . Yeesh.. the thing about full on ultra-batics with a leFish is it's fairly expendable, all things considered. Your Eric-provided Excalibur 2.0? Ummm.. not so much. Might wanna dial it back a tad dude.. juss sayin'.
Aug 30, 2019, 06:00 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyYouFools
Excalibur glider vs. 1000 DEGREE KNIFE YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS!!!

You know Steve.. I think that thing would do very well at Fermin or Sunset Cliffs. Torrey is high lift but the ridge isn't as fun.
Hahahah oh man called out on the clickbait! I couldnít resist. My kids told me I needed to add about 17 arrows pointing to the circle but itís my first time hahaha.

I donít think Iíd fly this beast at Sunset, but Fermin could work.
Aug 30, 2019, 06:01 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyak
GULP Would I be right to say I heard that unmistakable mixture of fear, prayer and a wee bit of excitement in your double-moan? . Yeesh.. the thing about full on ultra-batics with a leFish is it's fairly expendable, all things considered. Your Eric-provided Excalibur 2.0? Ummm.. not so much. Might wanna dial it back a tad dude.. juss sayin'.
A ship is safest in the harbor, but thatís not what ships are built for...
Aug 31, 2019, 08:57 AM
Quote:
A ship is safest in the harbor, but thatís not what ships are built for...
Yup, no argument there at all - just sayin' keep a safe distance from icebergs!

Quick Reply