May 26, 2012, 02:12 PM
Maybe I'll try one!
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2012, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, the little Trex looks kinda cute.. I'm pretty sure just by looking at it it's the 45° head.

But if you want a much greater challenge I recommend you buy my beat-up CB180 (haha).
But just like Balr14..
I couldn't sell this piece of crap to anyone with a clear conscience and a page of warnings.

It's a huge challenge, may as well not have ANY flybar or stabiliztion system on it.
It's that useless outdoors.
It's the most 'beautiful' Helicopter I have with all the LED anti-colision/postioning lights & White tail strobe on it now.. It's looks awsome but it flys like a Fudgesicle.
I'm on my very last set of main blades.. and I'm NOT going to make yet another $50 + shipping order of spare parts for this thing.

*sadface*

I truly feel ripped off by Walkera.. & XHeli.

Paid $160 for it in Jan 2012 site had all positive reviews and it was highly recommended as the best next step from coaxial to FP.
It was the ONLY FP helicopter they had in stock at the time I ordered.

I've spend another $140 in spare parts, repairs & shipping since I got it.

I've moved on to CP helicopters and have not crashed them at all (YET)
I feel robbed of my proper childhood and never got to experience Fixed Pitch properly.
Like I went out and got married to CP and never got to have an FP girfriend.
I'm still unable to take this thing out in the yard & fly it without getting a nose dive and snapping the two main blades + the tail blade off of this thing.
May 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
Know any more about the T-Rex 100?

Small, fixed pitch, RTF. I will need a gift for my nephew anyway...
May 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
Cranky old fart
By all accounts, the Trex 100 is junk. There were some threads about it in hte micro heli forum when it came out, but they might be hard to find. This bird has long since disappeared into the sunset.
May 29, 2012, 06:24 PM
Thread OP
::Grumble::
They're still selling these things new and for quite a lot of money.
$20 more than I paid for my Belt CP V2 2 years ago.
http://www.xheli.com/50h28-madhawk30...lcd-2402d.html
Jul 16, 2012, 02:23 AM
Thread OP
After about 2 months of flying nothing but collective pitch helicopterage..
I pulled out my old CB180D and my box of parts.
Had 1- main gear left 1 used set of blades 1 blade was labled Walkera and the other Exceed.
Had one single brand new tail blade left as well.

Got it all back together and actually decided to remove the flybar entirely!

Flew it like this outside in zero-3Mph wind..
It flew like a balloon but I was able to keep it under control barely with the light wind.
It floated and it floated around fast and very tippy but in a nice smooth fast kind of way
it was fun.
It sorta felt like it might do better with more head speed (less blade pitch) but that’s probably just me being used to the other machines.
I really wish I would have tried some fast flight before putting the flyweight system back on 
I suspect I would have crashed it but would have been much more fun to find out then
what follows.

Put the flybar & weights back on and went to give it another spin.
The plum-bob effect was MUCH more pronounced and it was back to it’s old self.
I was EVER so careful and slow with it flying it gently and all of a sudden on a turn it takes off on it’s side going into a nose dive like always.
I skimmed it into the ground with a low RPM blade strike and a damaged main gear.
Still flys but you get a nice gear tick sound on the damaged teeth.
I would normally replace the gear as soon as this would happen.
Now determined to destroy it (Seriously I really should have just flown it full speed into the building).
I flew it a little more agressively trying to study what puts it so badly out of control.
I was able to to EASILY get it into this mode where it’s tipping itself and cannot be saved.
did this about 3 more times saving it by keeping it close to the ground and crashing without any power.
If you try to save it with power it ends up staying in that nose-dive attitude or on it’s side attitude and rapidly accellerates into the ground with absolutely no way to save it with power or cyclic controls.

This thing is officially done now that I am out of parts.
I’ll never EVER EVER purchase another Walkera product.
It’s unacceptable that a design as this was ever allowed to be sold to anyone.
It cost me a LOT of time $ in parts and had me thinking for a long time that I didn’t have the talent or skill to fly something other than a coaxial helicopter.
Walkera and Xheli BOTH sold it to me with promises it would be a great next step to CP from coaxial.
My Esky Hunter coaxial kicks this piece of crap’s butt 10 times over outdoors in gentle wind.

It was a several month waste of time.
The guys here on RCG pointed some key things out and kept me going in the right direction.
I feel Walkera should refund the money for this thing and all the parts & shipping charges ever bought for it.
And I will forever steer anyone I help out away from Walkera until they do 
Jul 17, 2012, 09:59 PM
Thread OP
I tried some more flybarless with sawed off (shorter leftover blades).
Could not do more than hover was not able to do any fast flight. :-(
I couldn't help but at least TRY this out:

Now the weights are sorta (mostly) at 90°
The majority of the weight and the correctional input to the mix is physically 90°
to the blades.
I swear to both goodness and gracious it flew MUCH nicer than stock!!
But I still easily get into into dives that I cannot get out of if I try any fast turns or
it catches any wind in fast flight.
Plum bobbiness seems completely gone in this config.
But the getting into dives (with ability to get it out) problem is still there.
Last edited by N8LBV; Jul 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Jul 17, 2012, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Kind of a shame..
This is my night time helicopter..
I almost always fly it outside at night when the wind is calm.
And because it's not as responsive as a CP helicopter I can fly it just on seeing those LED marker lights quite well.

It has two forward facing white 'spotlights' and a back strobe as well.
If it weren't for the nasty flight characteristics this would be a perfect night flyer.
I may eventually get a big coaxial for night flying to shake the dive problem and this helicopter. :-(
Jul 18, 2012, 12:44 AM
Owner1
Wow N8LBV, you are nothing if not tenacious. Nice job on the mods, looks like you've almost got this one working.

On a related note, I have the flybarless, brushless, torque tube tail version of this heli (the V200D01), and it doesn't suffer from any of the problems you have. I fly it crazy fast, bank it and flare it so hard I'm afraid of something breaking off, and it just keeps on going. I'm currently practicing fast forwards and backwards funnels. I know you have a CP (me too) but if you want something easier to setup after an accident to practice on, you could do worse than the V200D01.

Owner1
Jul 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
Thanks o1 :-)
Also here's another video that shows what these things truly fly/crash like.
There's virtually no videos out there of anyone flying these even slightly above slow, and probably for a reason.. just completely shocks me there are not more complaints.. people just sorta give up and try something else.
That's also quite sad as they are still availble and there will be plenty more suckers & discouragements centered around this product.
If you fast forward to about 30 seconds from the end you'll see it.
Also XHeli is still selling these things new, what a terrible shame.
http://www.xheli.com/50h28-madhawk30...lcd-2402d.html

And at $180+ after shipping.

Walkera CB180D outdoor (3 min 22 sec)
Jul 18, 2012, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
What you see happen that video is what has happened every single time I have ever crashed it.
Some 20-30 times.. and pretty much any time I tried to fly it outdoors wind or no wind..
Much worse in 3Mph wind..
The guy flying it above is hitting wind of around ~3Mph when he crashes it.. you see it start hitting the helicopter..
Xheli's videos claim it's good outdoors in 5-7MPH wind.
That was part of my quick reasearch I did when I first bought it.
Haha.
Jul 19, 2012, 08:54 AM
N8LBV, I had this model too, I had one good flight at the field, with lighter flybar weights.( about half the weight), which causes it to be a bit more erratic, but improved it in 1mph wind or less. I also put a bigger battery way forward into the nose, by cutting the battery tray.

They are fun for hovering around in the garden on a still day but they should be half the proce they are at least because they are basically coaxial-singles. Lol

(I also put on longer servo arms which was very good for a windless condition but done nothing in more than 1mph wind.)
Jul 19, 2012, 02:01 PM
I purchased my CB180D several weeks ago, before reading this thread, and I'm having trouble beleiving that we are talking about the same bird.
I' know that there are going to be differences within the same model line line, and I'm sure that these littles copters are no different thatn any other mass produced item. And I'm really sorry for what you gentlemen have been put through. I'm still skeptical dealing with any aspect of the internet, but that's my personal problem, and I guess that I've been lucky in that aspect. I usually like to handle my purchases befor buying, but that's apparently not going to happen as far as this hobby is concerned.
My copter is very responsive, with or without a light wind. I had the oportunity to take the Walkera as well as my new Novus 200FP out to a local football stadium and drain a half dozen batteries between them. This pair are pretty much twins, and the flight charecteristics were similar, with the Walkera being more stable and the Novus the more explosive, handling wise. Both have diminsrtated good head speed even though I never really pushed them.
I tried several fairly quick banking manuevers, and although I had to really watch my altitude, they remaind somewhat within my control. No crashes with either of those two yet. I've only been flying since the first of the year, so I'm not as daring as some folk.
I do have to wonder if they haven't update the Walkera's controller. I was able to fly close to a 90 foot radius with no sigh of control loss. I still keep my flight within three or four feet of the ground, just as a control aspect.
Generally, I'm having a ball with both of my new birds, and my 120SR. But, I'm still hesitant to bring my Blade SR out of the closet.
Jul 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
Lostventure, I thought that and then when some real wind came, my hallucinations ended. Your 120SR is worth two CB180Ds any day of the week.
Jul 19, 2012, 11:13 PM
Would rather fly the 180 than the 120 any day, never had the lost control issue with the walkera but the 120 will spazz out for no reason at all. To each his own.

Quick Reply